Perry Hall bombs Dundalk, 79-67


Perry Hall did not exactly follow coach Phil Walter's game plan last night.

But he was not upset.

Walter wanted No. 20 Perry Hall to push the ball inside, and his team instead came out and hit nine three-pointers -- four from 27-point scorer Mark Franklin -- and the Gators defeated host and No. 12 Dundalk, 79-67, in a Baltimore County Class 3A-4A matchup of unbeaten teams.

Perry Hall (4-0, 4-0) did a good job of moving the ball inside, ZTC especially to Matt Banks (13 points), but its outside shooting gave the team a quick lead that it held most of the game.

The Gators made four three-pointers in each of the first two quarters. They went 8-for-8 in the half and took a 39-33 lead at the break.

And after the game, mention of the outside shooting made Walter break into a big grin.

"[The outside shooting] got us the lead," said Walter. "That's 24 points [in the first half]."

Franklin made three three-pointers in the first half and one in the second half.

The senior guard finished 9-for-14 from the field. He also was 5-for-6 from the free-throw line in the fourth quarter as Perry Hall held off a late charge from Dundalk (3-1, 3-1).

"We were ready to play," said Franklin. "The [outside shooting] hurt them. Then we went inside to the big men, and that hurt, too."

Banks caused the most pain for Dundalk. He repeatedly drove through the Owls' defense for good shots from inside. He also pulled down seven rebounds.

Perry Hall went inside often to Banks, especially in the second half. The Gators controlled play in the lane, especially in the third and fourth quarters.

Banks was a big part of that. He also made the play of the night. With 28.9 seconds left in the third quarter, Banks took off from the free-throw line, flew through the lane and threw down a thunderous slam over a few Dundalk players for a 61-49 lead.

"That was it," said Walter. "Turn out the lights."

Perry Hall also hurt Dundalk with its intensity. The Gators played tenacious defense that seemed to disrupt the Owls' offense.

The Owls had four players in double figures, led by Leon Flournoy with 12 and James Fehrman and Travis Thorton with 11 apiece, but they never hit their stride. Point guard Mario Smith added 10, but injured his eye on the Banks dunk and sat out the rest of the game.

"We never really got on that run we wanted," said Dundalk coach Andrew Pons, who said Smith will return tomorrow against Dulaney. "Every time we'd make a little run, they'd counter it or a loose ball would go their way or a 50-50 call would go their way.

"They shot really well," Pons added. "We never came out and played with the intensity we wanted."

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad