* Carl Bare, a police inspector who...


* Carl Bare, a police inspector who halted a concert by the Beatles in Cleveland when teen-age fans got out of hand, died Monday. He was 86. Fans rushed the stage at Public Hall midway through the Beatles' Sept. 15, 1964, concert. Mr. Bare snatched the microphone from George Harrison and John Lennon and escorted the Fab Four to safety.

* Jim Boutwell, a law officer who tried to stop sniper Charles Whitman and arrested accused mass murderer Henry Lee Lucas, died of lymphatic cancer Tuesday at Georgetown, Texas. He was 66. While a reserve Williamson County deputy in 1966, Mr. Boutwell flew an airplane around the University of Texas Tower trying to stop Charles Whitman, who was firing at people below. Whitman killed 16 people and wounded 31 before he was killed by police. Mr. Boutwell arrested Lucas in 1983 in the murder of a woman found north of Georgetown. Lucas later confessed to more than 360 slayings nationwide, but then recanted most.

* Lewis D. Gilbert, who crusaded to make corporate executives more responsive to stockholders, died Tuesday in New York. He was 86. For more than 50 years, Mr. Gilbert attended annual stockholders'meetings to foster what he called corporate democracy. He succeeded in getting companies to hold annual meetings in accessible locations, to issue reports from those meetings and to require auditors to attend. He published reports of stockholder meetings. Mr. Gilbert also wrote a book about corporate democracy, titled "Dividends and Democracy," in 1956.

* Wolfgang Paul, who won the Nobel Prize in physics for developing a technique to isolate ions and electrons, died of heart failure Tuesday in Bonn. He was 80. During World War II, Dr. Paul helped study isotope separation, a method for producing fissionable material for an atomic bomb. After the war he was a guest professor in Goettingen in 1950, and in 1952 took over as director of the Physics Institute at Bonn University. In 1989, Mr. Paul was named winner of the Nobel Prize in physics along with Americans Norman F. Ramsey and Hans Dehmelt. Dr. Paul was cited for being the first to develop a method to isolate ions and electrons. The so-called "Paul Trap" permitted physicists to hold the particles long enough to study them with precision.

* Jean Lloyd Webber, the mother of composer Andrew Lloyd Webber, died of cancer Tuesday in London. She was 70. She taught Andrew to play the piano and violin. Her son composed such musicals as "Cats" and "Evita."

* Eugene Power, a pioneer in the use of microfilm for the storage and reproduction of scholarly information, died Monday at his home in Ann Arbor, Mich. He was 88. He had Parkinson's disease, said Bernie DeGroat, a spokesman for the University of Michigan. During World War II, Mr. Power directed the microfilming of thousands of rare books and other printed materials in British libraries and took the film to the United States for preservation. In 1938, he founded University Microfilms, which is widely credited with having invented the collection on film of information that could be used in publishing. By merging microfilm with xerography, the company helped overcome the scarcity of books that were out of print. University Microfilms, begun at Ann Arbor, was acquired by Xerox Corp. in 1962 for $8 million.

* Robert Siegel, a Manhattan stamp dealer who auctioned off some of the world's rarest and costliest stamps, died last Friday at New York Hospital. He was 80 and had homes in Manhattan and Fort Lauderdale, Fla. He had a stroke while walking to his Park Avenue business the previous Tuesday, the Robert Siegel Auction Galleries said. Mr. Siegel started collecting stamps as a hobby at age 7 and went into business for himself when he was 16. In 1934 he opened a dealership and auction house in New York. By his own estimate, the company bearing his name sold more than $200 million worth of stamps during his 63 years in the business. One, the unique British Guiana "One-Cent Magenta," was auctioned by him twice. The second time around, in 1981, it fetched $935,000, which set a record at the time. He was a past president of the American Stamp Dealers Association.

* Anthony Travia Sr., a former speaker of the New York State Assembly and a retired U.S District Court judge, died Tuesday at Vassar Brothers Hospital in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. He was 82. Mr. Travia was a Democrat who represented Brooklyn, N.Y., in the Assembly beginning in 1944. He served as minority leader from 1959 to 1965, when he was elected speaker of the Assembly. He served as speaker until 1968. In 1967 he served as president of the New York State Constitutional Convention. In 1968 President Lyndon B. Johnson appointed him to the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York. He resigned the judgeship in October 1974, saying he wanted to spend more time with his family.

* Bogdan Raditsa, a Croatian writer, former Yugoslav diplomat and professor emeritus at Fairleigh Dickinson University in New Jersey, died Sunday in St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center in Manhattan. He was 89. For 15 years starting in 1928, Mr. Raditsa was an official of the Yugoslav foreign service in Geneva, Washington and New York. He settled in New Jersey in 1943 working as a freelance writer, and in 1950 became a lecturer in European history at Fairleigh Dickinson. He retired as a full professor of history in 1975.

* Sterling Jensen, an actor and mime who helped found the Roundabout Theater, died Wednesday in the Touro Infirmary in New Orleans. He was 68 and lived in New Orleans. The cause of death was congestive heart failure, said his wife, Esther Ewing Jensen. Mr. Jensen was born in San Diego. He made his Broadway debut in 1955 as a telephone operator in "The Desk Set." In the late '50s, he joined the Mime Theater of Etienne Decroux. In that period, he also taught acting at the High School for Performing Arts in Manhattan. In 1965, Mr. Jensen helped found the Roundabout Theater and, in its first production, played Adolf in "The Father," by Strindberg.

* Samuel Preston Brown, a retired senior partner and chairman of the consulting engineering firm of Coverdale & Colpitts Inc. in New York, died Monday at the South Port Nursing Center in Port Charlotte, Fla. He was 80 and moved to Port Charlotte from Short Hills, N.J., three years ago. A native of Orange, N.J., Mr. Brown graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1935. He started a career as a consulting engineer in Manhattan and joined Coverdale & Colpitts in 1945. He retired in 1975, years after the company had been acquired by the URS Corp.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad