Army worker and veteran
Louis Fox, a retired civilian administrative assistant for the U.S. Army, died Oct. 19 at the Cherrywood Manor Nursing Home in Reisterstown, where he had lived the previous six months. He was 85. The cause of death was not disclosed.
Mr. Fox retired in 1977 after a 31-year career with the Army, during which he was a civilian administrative supply technician assigned to the 342nd Army Security Agency and the 97th Army Reserve Command. He worked at Fort Meade, the Liberty Heights Avenue Reserve station and the Jecelin Army Reserve Center on Broening Highway.
Mr. Fox, who was born in Leeds, England, emigrated to Philadelphia with his family in 1913 and then to Baltimore. He received his education in city schools and began his business career in the 1920s as a salesman for the Bragger-Eisenberg department store, which was at Eutaw and Saratoga streets.
Drafted in 1942, he served in the Army as a clerk-typist with the 43rd Division and participated in the Guadalcanal, New Guinea, Northern Solomons and Luzon campaigns. He was discharged in 1945 with the rank of technician fourth grade and had been decorated with the Bronze Star.
A bachelor, he lived with his mother Anna Fox until her death in 1957. A longtime resident of the Pikesville area, Mr. Fox loved traveling to Wildwood, N.J., to visit relatives.
Alan I. Fox, a nephew who lives in Reisterstown, said, "He loved traveling by trains and airplanes" and "would spend hours watching planes and trains and even had a radio where he could tune in on the public service band to listen in on conversations between trains and planes and control towers.
"He loved to fly to the West Coast and visit Los Angeles and San Francisco," said Mr. Fox, "and getting on a bus or trolley and spend all day riding to distant parts of the city which he explored or walking miles and miles and talking to people he met along the way. He also enjoyed being in the studio audience of "The Tonight Show," which he did many times, both in L.A. and New York."
Mr. Fox played the saxophone, clarinet and flute in bands in the Baltimore area and was a member of the Musicians Association of Metropolitan Baltimore Local 40-543. He was also active in the Jewish War Veterans.
Services were held Oct. 20.
In addition to his nephew, he is survived by a niece, Edie Winegrad of Owings Mills.
Memorial contributions can be made to the Edith Rosen Strauss Organization, 8219 Marcie Drive, Pikesville 21208.
John A. Hitchcock Sr.
John Austen Hitchcock Sr., who managed cemeteries in Pikesville and Washington for 30 years, died Nov. 24 at his home in Severn of throat cancer. He was 70.
Mr. Hitchcock helped run the Druid Ridge Cemetery from 1951 to 1976, working as an assistant manager under his father, Jesse Hitchcock, until he became manager around 1967.
He managed the Rock Creek Cemetery in Washington from 1976 to 1981, when he retired.
Mr. Hitchcock, a Baltimore native and 1939 graduate of St. Paul's School for Boys, attended Washington College in Chestertown for two years before he was drafted in 1941 for service in World War II.
He was a sergeant stationed in the Caribbean with the Army Air Forces.
He returned to Washington College after his discharge in 1945 and earned a degree in liberal arts in 1948. After teaching history for two years at Kenwood High School in Essex, he joined his father at Druid Ridge.
Mr. Hitchcock enjoyed camping and playing the saxophone in several community bands in Baltimore and Columbia.
Services were held Dec. 2.
He is survived by three daughters, Joyce Mahoney of Salt Lake City, Emily Olson of Kodiak, Alaska, and Anne Engblom of Severna Park; and a son, John A. Hitchcock Jr. of Laurel.
Contributions may be made to Washington College's endowment fund, Chestertown 21620.
Charles S. Dell Sr.
Owned roofing company
Charles S. Dell Sr., retired owner of an industrial roofing and sheet metal company who was active in Chesapeake Bay and ocean yacht racing, died Nov. 28 of a respiratory illness at Ginger Cove, the Annapolis retirement community where he had lived for about four years.
He was 90 and had moved to Anne Arundel County in the early 1940s, living for many years at Dellwood on Saltworks Creek and then in Rugby Hall.
He retired in the late 1970s as owner of the Charles S. Dell Industrial Roofing and Sheet Metal Co., which he started in the early 1920s.
During World War II, the company performed sheet metal work on PT boats built at the Annapolis Yacht Yard.
He owned yachts that he raced on the Chesapeake and participated in Annapolis-to-Bermuda and Newport-to-Bermuda races.
He was a former president of the Chesapeake Bay Yacht Racing Association, commodore of the Annapolis Yacht Club and the Sailing Club of the Chesapeake, and a member of the Cruising Club of America, the Royal Ocean Yacht Racing Club, the Gibson Island Yacht Club and the New York Yacht Club.
In the late 1940s and early 1950s, he was a member of the Republican State Central Committee for Anne Arundel County.
Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of Polytechnic Institute and attended St. John's College in Annapolis. He was a member of the football and lacrosse teams at both schools.
A memorial service was held Dec. 2.
He is survived by his wife, the former Hildegarde Wood; and a son, Charles S. Dell Jr. of Helena, Mont.
Rev. H. A. Bradley
The Rev. Henry Andrew Bradley, S.M., retired archivist of the local province of the Society of Mary, died Nov. 28 after a heart attack at the Marianist Care Center in Centerville, Ohio.
Father Henry, who was 89, was archivist of the New York Province at the order's Provincial House in Roland Park from 1967 until he retired to the Care Center in 1991.
From 1965 until 1967, he taught religion at Cardinal Gibbons High School.
For three years before coming to Baltimore, he taught in the Department of Religious Studies at the University of Dayton. From 1941 until 1962, he taught in novitiates of his order in Beacon, N.Y., Marcy, N.Y., and St. Louis.
A native of Germantown, Pa., he was a graduate of West Catholic High School in Philadelphia. He became a Marianist brother in 1921. He was a graduate of the University of Dayton, where he majored in classical languages and did graduate work at the University of Cincinnati in educational psychology.
After entering the order, he taught in secondary schools for 20 years, interrupted by five years at a seminary in Fribourg, Switzerland, that led to his ordination as a priest in 1935. His early teaching assignments included schools in Cleveland, Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio, and in Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico.
A Mass of Christian burial was offered Dec. 1.
He is survived by a sister, Sister Mary Bartholomew, S.H.C.J., of New York City.
Emma Clement, a dental assistant and homemaker, died Sunday of cardiac arrest at Carroll County General Hospital. She was 94 and had been a resident of the Sykesville Eldercare Center since 1985.
The former Emma Smith was born on a farm located off Liberty Road in Woodlawn and attended Woodlawn Elementary School in a one-room schoolhouse.
She left school at 14 to work on the family farm and later in a canning factory.
She married Dr. Hugh Clement Sr., a dentist, in 1920. He practiced from their home on Edmondson Avenue for many years, and she worked as his dental assistant. After he retired in 1962, they made their home in Arbutus until his death in 1982.
Services were held Wednesday at the Ruck Towson Funeral Home.
She is survived by two sons, Dr. Hugh Clement Jr. of Lutherville and Dr. Thomas Clement of Woodbine; three daughters, Ruth Olenchuk of McLean, Va., Mary Noble of Arbutus and Anne Gehring of Towson; 13 grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.
Memorial donations may be made to Carroll County General Hospital, 200 Memorial Ave., Westminster 21157.
James A. Dugger
James A. Dugger, who retired from the Park Heights Development Corp., died of pneumonia Nov. 30 at Maryland General Hospital.
He was 49 and lived on Walbrook Avenue. He retired about three years ago because of ill health after working in the development corporation's rat-eradication program for about five years.
Earlier he worked as a housing inspector for the Baltimore Health Department.
Born in Baltimore, he was a 1962 graduate of Carver Vocational-Technical High School. He served in the Navy on a destroyer that was stationed off the coast of Vietnam.
A Mass of Christian burial was offered Dec. 3.
Mr. Dugger is survived by his wife, the former Barbara Ann Winslow; two sons, Damani O. and Siebie B. Dugger; his stepmother, Margaret L. Dugger; two brothers, Milton A. Dugger Jr. and Charles A. Dugger; and two grandchildren. All are of Baltimore.
M. Peggy Holniker
M. Peggy Holniker, who had operated a preschool nursery since 1974 and was active in her Carroll County community, died Wednesday of cancer at her Eldersburg home. She was 61.
She was president of the Children's Farm Nursery in Eldersburg.
She was a member of the board of the Carroll County Library from 1975 until 1988 and campaigned for the establishment of the Eldersburg branch, where a room was named in her honor.
Since 1991, she had chaired the trial court judicial nominating commission for Carroll County. She was a former corresponding secretary of the county's League of Women Voters and was vice chair of the board of managers of the county YMCA and of its 1991 capital campaign.
In 1988, she was named Citizen of the Year by the Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen Council of the Knights of Columbus. She was a co-founder of the Beth Shalom Congregation on Liberty Road in Taylorsville.
She was a former president of the Freedom District Business Association and chaired the Freedom Family Fun Day on July 4, 1979.
The former M. Peggy Riggs was a native of Berkeley Springs, W.Va., who came to the Baltimore area in her teens. She was a graduate of Strayer Business College and had worked in the credit departments of several women's shops in Baltimore.
Services were set for 2 p.m. today at her home at 5220 Equestrian Drive.
She is survived by her husband, Kenneth Holniker; two sons, Stephen D. Holniker of Westminster and Scott D. Holniker of Eldersburg; a brother, Leslie Riggs, and a sister, Leona Elliott, both of Inwood, W. Va.; and six grandchildren.
Memorial donations may be made to Beth Shalom, or to the Carroll Hospice in Westminster.
William H. Lowery
William H. Lowery, who worked as a supply officer at the Rosewood Center in Owings Mills, died Sunday of cancer at his home in Carney. He was 58.
He had been employed at the institution for the handicapped since 1981. Earlier, he had worked at Hampshire Industries as a warehouseman for 23 years.
The Danville, Pa., native was reared in Alexandria, Va., and moved to Baltimore with his family in 1951. He was a 1954 graduate of Kenwood High School then served in the Air Force, attaining the rank of airman 2nd class. He was discharged in 1958.
He was a member of St. Ursula's Roman Catholic Church, the Knights of Columbus and American Legion Post 183 in Parkville.
Services were held Wednesday at Evans Funeral Chapel in Parkville.
He is survived by a brother, James A. Lowery Sr. of Carney; two nephews and a niece.
Memorial donations may be made to the American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 43025, Baltimore 21236-0025.
George W. Dean Jr.
Won landmark case
Graveside services for George W. Dean Jr., a lawyer who won a landmark case that led to the overhaul of Alabama's mental hospitals and established the rights of the mentally ill, was set for noon today at the cemetery at Providence Plantation, his home in Chestertown. He was 64 and died Tuesday after an apparent heart attack at home.