Crisanta G. Arribas
Crisanta Gutierrez Arribas, a homemaker who worked briefly as an esthetician in the 1970s, died Dec. 1 of cancer while on a visit to Spain. The Ellicott City resident was 60.
She was born in Laredo, Spain, and was educated at St. Vincente de Paul parochial school in her hometown and at El Colegio de Los Sagrados Corazones, a finishing school in Santander, Spain.
She moved to the United States in 1960 and married Dr. Luis J. Arribas, a psychiatrist who retired as a division director at Springfield Hospital Center in 1983. The couple lived in Sykesville before moving to Ellicott City in 1968. Dr. Arribas died in 1992.
She was active in several Baltimore-area Hispanic organizations and became a U.S. citizen in 1978.
A memorial Mass will be offered at 2 p.m. Sunday in the chapel of the Roman Catholic Church of the Resurrection, Paulskirk Road and Chatham Road, Ellicott City.
She is survived by two daughters, Rosa Maria Arribas Smith of Virginia and Maria Arribas Hovet of Columbia; four brothers, Dr. Jesus Gutierrez of Bloomfield Hills, Mich., Jose Gutierrez, Miguel Gutierrez and Joaquin Gutierrez, all of Spain; and two grandchildren.
Memorial donations may be made to the American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 43025, Baltimore 21236-0025.
J. F. Linsenmeyer
J. Frank Linsenmeyer, a retired Baltimore City firefighter who was assigned to Truck 6 in South Baltimore for many years and who played Santa Claus for church groups, died Monday of congestive heart failure at Harbor Hospital Center.
He was 85 and had lived for about 10 years in the Burwood Gardens Senior Citizens Apartments in Glen Burnie. He retired from the Fire Department in 1968 as driver of the truck.
He was commended many times in his 25-year career with the truck company at Hanover and Ostend streets and was named Fireman of the Year in 1968 by the South Baltimore Kiwanis Club.
The Baltimore native had earlier worked as a deliveryman for a plumbing supply company.
Before moving to Glen Burnie, he had played Santa Claus for groups at St. Benedict's Roman Catholic Church and more recently at St. Philip Neri Roman Catholic Church and at the apartments where he lived.
He once had to go to work with heavily rouged cheeks when the lipstick used in his Santa Claus makeup proved to be indelible.
A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Benedict's Church, 2612 Wilkens Ave., Baltimore.
Mr. Linsenmeyer is survived by his wife, the former Margaret Schmidbauer; a son, J. Franklin Linsenmeyer, of Baltimore; a daughter, Mary Margaret Ocampo of Brooklyn Park; a sister, Lillian Hartley of Ellicott City; three grandchildren; and a great-grandson.
Harry Klein, a partner in Klein's Hardware, a family business started as Klein's Furniture by his father in 1921 in South Baltimore, died Tuesday at Sinai Hospital of aplastic anemia and complications of diabetes.
He was 85 and lived on Greenspring Avenue in Pikesville. He began working in his father's business while in his teens and was still a partner with his sister at his death.
Klein's was opened as a furniture-refinishing business and did a lot of work for the Baltimore and Ohio railroad. It became a used-furniture shop in the 1930s, switched to children's furniture and toys in the 1950s and to hardware in the 1970s.
Mr. Klein was a native of Baltimore and a graduate of the Polytechnic Institute.
He was a former vice president of the Redfe Zedek Congregation in South Baltimore and helped to take care of its East Baltimore cemetery after the temple was closed in the 1960s. He became a member of the Beth Israel Congregation.
Services were to be held at 10 a.m. today at Sol Levinson & Bros., 6010 Reisterstown Road.
Mr. Klein is survived by his wife, the former Anna Cohen; two sons, Dr. Gary A. Klein and Yale Klein, both of Reisterstown; a sister, Anne R. Klein of Baltimore; and a granddaughter.
William A. Martinek
William A. Martinek, a retired textile chemist, died Monday of a heart ailment at his Orlando Avenue home. He was 83.
The Hamilton resident was born and reared in East Baltimore and was a 1929 graduate of City College. He attended the Johns Hopkins University night school and received a bachelor's degree in chemistry in 1941.
In 1960, he joined Mount Vernon Mills Inc., a textile manufacturer in Greenville, S.C., where he established a research and development laboratory. He retired in 1972. Earlier, he had worked for the University of Maryland before joining the Baltimore textile firm of William E. Hooper and Sons.
Services were to be held at 11 a.m. today at the Hartley Miller Funeral Home, 7527 Harford Road, Baltimore.
Mr. Martinek is survived by his wife of 56 years, the former Mildred Dietrich of Baltimore; a son, Bruce W. Martinek of Perry Hall; and a grandson.
Helen W. Rydstrom
Retired manager, 95
Helen W. Rydstrom, a retired office manager, died Nov. 25 of complications from a stroke at Church Home on Bond Street, where she had lived since 1981. The former Roland Park resident was 95.
She retired in 1969 from the Steamship Trade Association, where she had worked for many years as office manager.
The former Helen Weakley was born and reared in Glen Arm and was a 1914 graduate of the old Girls' Latin School. She briefly attended college in Virginia before beginning her career.
In 1941, she married Herbert W. Rydstrom, who owned and operated a tire distributorship on Cathedral Street until his death in 1969.
Services were held Nov. 29.
She is survived by a daughter, Jane R. Blair of Annapolis; and many other relatives.
Memorial donations may be made to the Church Home, 101 N. Bond St., Baltimore 21231.
Jerome F. Miles Sr.
Had insurance agency
Jerome F. Miles Sr., a native of Baltimore who owned an insurance agency and financial planning business in Phoenixville, Pa., died Nov. 29 at a hospital there after a stroke.
Mr. Miles, who was 61 and was known as Jack, started a business in the late 1970s.
A graduate of Friends School and of Holy Cross University, where he helped to start a lacrosse team, Mr. Miles lived in Baltimore until 1965, when he was sent to Pennsylvania by the Monumental Life Insurance Co.
He also worked for the New England Life Insurance Co. before going into business for himself.
Services were held Dec. 2.
He is survived by his wife, the former Elizabeth Uhlinger; four sons, Jerome F. Miles Jr. of Blue Springs, Mo., Michael W. Miles of Berwyn, Pa., Patrick J. Miles of Phoenixville and John X. Miles of Chalfont, Pa.; a daughter, Elizabeth M. Gerace of Ocean City, N.J.; a brother, Eugene L. Miles Jr., and a sister, Elizabeth Fusting, both of Baltimore; and three granddaughters.
Dorothy A. Anderson
Dorothy Anthony Anderson, a former teacher who was active in church work, died Nov. 29 at her home in Linthicum Heights after several strokes. She was 75.
As a young woman, she taught for about five years at Severna Park Elementary School.
She was a member of the United Methodist Women and the Evelyn Keller Circle at the Linthicum Heights United Methodist Church.
A native of the Centreville area, the former Dorothy Anthony attended public schools in that area. She was a graduate of what is now Towson State University.
Services were held Dec. 2.
Her husband of 43 years, Rollin M. Anderson, died in 1986. A son, Rollin M. Anderson Jr., died in 1968.
She is survived by three daughters, Judith A. Anderson and Elizabeth A. Francazi, both of Linthicum Heights, and Beverly A. Hendrix of Pasadena; a sister, Elizabeth Cecil of Centreville; and four grandchildren.
Anna M. Satterfield
Baltimore native, 93
Anna M. Satterfield, who was active for 70 years in the First Catholic Ladies Slovak Association, died Nov. 27 of cancer in Rockland, Maine, where she lived with a foster son. She was 93.
Since 1912, the Baltimore native had been active in the association founded in 1896 by her father, John Sikorsky, an immigrant from Kiev, Ukraine, to help newly arrived Slovakan immigrants get settled in Baltimore. She held a variety of positions in the organization and was its treasurer when she retired in 1990 because of ill health and moved to Maine.
Her father was a shoemaker whose shop was on Gay Street, and her mother, also a native of Kiev, was a furrier.
The former Anna Sikorsky was reared in the Gay Street neighborhood until the family moved to a home on Broadway near the Johns Hopkins Hospital. She was educated at St. Wenceslaus School on Ashland Avenue and then went to work as a sales clerk at Hochschild Kohn's department store. She also worked for many years at a millinery in East Baltimore.
In 1942, she married J. Wilmer Satterfield, who worked at Bethlehem Steel Corp.'s Sparrows Point plant. They lived on Dudley Avenue for a number of years until his death in 1954.
Mrs. Satterfield was a member of the Shrine of the Little Flower Roman Catholic Church for more than 50 years.
She was proud of her brother, who became a physician, and her sister, who was a nun in the Order of St. Cyril and Methodius, a Slovakian order, said a niece, Ethel Sikorsky of Baltimore.
Services were held Dec. 1.
She is survived by her foster son, George Marks of Rockland; a granddaughter; and many nephews and nieces.
Memorial donations may be made to the First Catholic Ladies Slovak Association, Branch 41, c/o Victoria Goldbeck, 2211 Kentucky Ave., Baltimore 21213.