Hill's fingerprint found on glove after bank robbery


Louis Hill III's fingerprint was on a surgical glove recovered when he was arrested after a fatal Randallstown bank robbery 13 months ago, but prosecution experts yesterday were unable to positively link blood, saliva, shoe prints, hair or fibers from the scene to the defendant.

A Harford County jury also saw a photograph of the vault at the Farmers Bank & Trust Co. in the 9800 block of Liberty Road, showing a pool of blood and the body of one of the two employees killed in the holdup.

Two masked robbers walked into the bank on Oct. 26, 1992, ordered four employees to lie on the floor and shot them one by one. Tellers Dorothy J. Langmead and Anastasia "Stacey" George died. Two other employees survived.

Minutes after the robbery, Mr. Hill and co-defendant Benjamin Franklin Boisseau Jr. were apprehended about four miles down Liberty Road, disposing of clothing, shoes, gloves and other items behind a small shopping center, according to testimony.

From Mr. Hill's Toyota police recovered a Cobray Mac-11 semi-automatic pistol, purchased by Mr. Hill in December 1990 and identified as the murder weapon, along with $5,683.

Baltimore County prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against Mr. Hill, a 26-year-old cleaning service operator who lived in Rodgers Forge, as the alleged gunman. The trial was moved to Harford County at the defense's request.

In his opening statement Tuesday, defense attorney David P. Henninger told the jury that Mr. Hill used the disposable gloves recovered during his arrest in his Timonium cleaning business.

Timonthy Ostendarp, of the Maryland State Police crime lab, said the glue and magnetic particles used to recover the fingerprint from the glove left it unfit to test for gunpowder residue. Prosecutors so far have presented no evidence that positively identifies him as the gunman -- a key issue in seeking the death penalty.

FBI expert John Paulisick told Mr. Henninger he could not positively identify a bloody footprint from the bank vault floor as coming from the Nike shoes being dumped as the two men were arrested.

FBI Special Agent Joseph Errera said blood on the shoe was consistent with that of all four victims. Tests of blood on a jacket and an orange plastic bag that were recovered, along with saliva on a red watchcap with eyeholes cut out, were inconclusive.

Special Agent Michael Malone said hairs recovered from the red cap -- which one victim said was worn by the gunman -- were neither Mr. Hill's nor Mr. Boisseau's.

"So it matches some other third person?" Mr. Henninger asked. The FBI agent agreed.

Mr. Hill told police he had picked up Mr. Boisseau and another, identified man and waited while they went into the bank. He told police the third man had left the car just before the arrest.

Boisseau was convicted of first-degree murder in March and given multiple life sentences. But he is appealing and refused to testify at the Hill trial, invoking his Fifth Amendment protection against self-incrimination.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad