Dr. Clement Brown
Dr. Clement R. Brown, associate chief medical director of the Social Security Administration's disability program since 1989, died Sunday after suffering a heart attack while running near his home on Bellona Avenue in the Pinehurst area.
Dr. Brown, who was 65, taught and maintained a private practice in internal and family medicine in the Chicago area before he came to the Baltimore area in 1989.
He taught at the University of Illinois from 1971 until 1984 and also held a series of posts as director of medical education at hospitals.
From 1959 until 1964, he worked at Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton, Ohio, and then from 1965 until 1971 at Chestnut Hill Hospital in Philadelphia.
From 1971 until 1974, he was on the staff at Mercy Hospital and Medical Center in Chicago.
In 1974, he became director of medical affairs for the American Hospital Association, a post he held until 1976.
From then until 1984, he was education director, director of a family health center and a consultant at the South Chicago Community Hospital.
Among his published professional papers was a manual for community hospital continuing education programs.
At his death, he and a daughter were writing a book on health care that urges a partnership approach including the patient.
He once told a Chicago interviewer, "I want people to take more responsibility for their health, and they can."
He also wrote a column on health that appeared about once a month in the Daily Calumet in Chicago.
From 1984 until 1989, he had a private practice in South Holland, Ill.
He had been active as a runner for 20 years. After a triple-bypass operation in 1981, he was featured on CBS Sports coverage of the 1984 Chicago Marathon.
He continued to run in other marathons and half-marathons, often accompanied by sons or daughters.
A native of Washington, D.C., who was a graduate of St. Anthony's High School, Catholic University in 1949 and the Georgetown University Medical School in 1953, he did his internship and residency at Providence Hospital there. He also served medical residencies at the District of Columbia General Hospital and at a hospital in Sayre, Pa.
He served in the Air Force from 1954 until 1956. As an American Heart Association Fellow, he did research in medical education at the University of Illinois in 1964 and 1965.
A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen, 5200 N. Charles St.
He is survived by his wife, the former Jean McDonough; two sons, Clement R. Brown III of Winfield, Ill., and John J. Brown of Park Ridge, Ill.; five daughters, Anne B. Saye of Hampton, Va., Kathleen A. Brown of Washington, Maureen B. Parton of Mill Valley, Calif., Jeannie B. Richey of Arlington, Va., and Elizabeth B. Lizzo of Park Ridge, Ill.; three brothers, Paul B. Brown of Toms River, N.J., James Brown of Finksburg and Michael Brown of Columbia; and six grandchildren. Retired Army Col. Homer S. Piper, who was active in church and community affairs in Odenton, died Monday of heart disease at the Augsburg Lutheran Home.
Colonel Piper, who was 85 and had lived in Millersville for many years, was chief of manpower on the 2nd Army staff when he retired in 1962. He worked at Fort Meade as a civilian incentive awards administrator from 1963 until 1975.
An officer in the Army Reserve since 1931, he was called to active duty in 1940 and after his graduation from Infantry School at Fort Benning, Ga., started a basic training program at Camp Wheeler, Ga., and then was sent to South America.
He built airfields in Suriname and in French Guiana, where he became commanding officer of U.S. forces.
After a number of other assignments, he went to Fort Meade to serve on the 2nd Army staff. He was sent to Korea from 1956 to 1958 -- a period during which he also taught a Bible class for Koreans in Seoul.
After returned to Fort Meade in Odenton, he became president of the First Evangelical Lutheran Church and oversaw the construction of its present church building.
He sang bass in the church choir and later in the Augsburg Home choir and had also been a member of the boards of Lutheran Hospital and the Lutheran Mission Society..
He also became active in the Washington Chapter of the Muscular Dystrophy Association and started a local fund-raising telethon.
In 1984, he also served as a member of the Electoral College that officially elected Ronald Reagan to a second term.
He was a longtime member and recipient of the Minute Man Award of the Reserve Officers Association, and belonged to the Military Order of the World Wars.
Born in Santa Fe, N.M., the colonel was reared in Cleveland, where he was cadet commander of a high school ROTC program. Though he received a presidential appointment to the U.S. Military Academy, his parents refused to sign the papers required because he was under age.
In 1962, he completed the requirements for a bachelor's of science at the University of Maryland.
Services were to be held at 11:30 a.m. today at the First Evangelical Lutheran Church of Odenton, 1306 Odenton Road.
His wife, the former Alma Marie Karsten, whom he married in 1935, died in 1977.
He is survived by a daughter, Barbara M. Georg-Law of Severn; three brothers, Stanley, George and Walter S. Piper, all of Cleveland; two grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
Mary E. Wineholt
Worked at photo shop
Mary Elizabeth Wineholt, who recently worked at Towson Photo Supply, died Saturday of a heart attack at her home. The longtime Pinehurst resident was 60.
She retired in 1990, after a massive heart attack, from her office job at Waverly Press.
Known as "Libby," the former Mary Dietrich was reared in Baltimore and was a 1950 graduate of Roland Park Country School. She graduated in 1952 from Finch Junior College in New York.
Her family's roots on the Eastern Shore go back to the reign of King Charles II, when he granted the family a charter for a plantation near Cambridge.
Mrs. Wineholt was active in the American Cancer Society, the American Heart Association, the League for the Handicapped and the Baltimore Opera Guild.
She was a communicant of St. David's Episcopal Church in Baltimore's Roland Park section, a member of its Women's Committee. She enjoyed running the kitchen of the church with Aggie Bradley, an old friend.
Mrs. Wineholt was also a member of the Baltimore Country Club and Three Arts Club of Homeland and enjoyed flower arranging and gourmet cooking.
A memorial service was to be held at 11 a.m. today at St. David's Church, 4700 Roland Ave.
The family suggested memorial donations to the church.
Surviving are her husband of 34 years, C. Herbert Wineholt Jr., a retired sales executive at the Mangels-Herold Co.; two sons, Buckley D. Wineholt of New Orleans and David A. Wineholt of Rodgers Forge; and her mother, Mary F. Dietrich of Towson.
Charles McK. Wertz
Charles McK. Wertz, who worked on missiles and rockets in the early days of space exploration, died Saturday of cancer at his home. The Parkville resident was 74.
He retired in 1973 from the Patuxent Naval Air Station as manager of the flight test division in a career that began in 1946.
Born in Baltimore, he grew up in the Mount Vernon/Belvedere neighborhood and attended city schools. He was a 1936 graduate of City College and worked at Bethlehem Steel Corp.'s Sparrows Point plant until he joined the merchant marine in 1941.
He spent World War II in convoy duty aboard the SS Idaho Falls and the Valdosta, a Victory Ship that saw duty in both the Pacific and Atlantic oceans.
In 1945, he married the former Hazel M. Pitcher of Baltimore, who died in 1970.
He was a 32nd degree Mason and was a member of the Mount Nebo Lodge, the Boumi Temple, Elks, Moose, the Baltimore Kickers and the Battle Grove Democratic Club.
Services were set for 11 a.m. today at the Johnson Funeral Home, 8521 Loch Raven Blvd., Towson. Interment will be in Dulaney Valley Memorial Gardens.
Survivors include a son, Charles W. Wertz of Parkville; two sisters, Dorothy Perry of Towson and Nancy Lee Donovan of Virginia Beach; two grandsons; and numerous nieces and nephews.
Memorial donations may be made to the American Cancer Society.