Taneytown man charged, jailed in rape of neighbor


A 36-year-old Taneytown man was in the county jail last night on second-degree rape and related charges involving a neighbor who told police she was sexually assaulted after she passed out at his house Friday night.

Michael Steven Campbell was arrested late Monday by state police Tfc. Edward Fox after a three-day investigation.

A Rape Crisis Intervention Services counselor told the trooper of the woman's allegations, District Court records said.

The counselor told the trooper that the woman "blacked out" and "did not specifically recall any sexual acts which were performed on her," the records said.

A District Court judge is expected to review Mr. Campbell's $75,000 bail during a hearing today.

According to the statement of charges filed by Trooper Fox, the 28-year-old woman -- a frequent guest of Mr. Campbell and his wife -- was drinking alcohol Friday night at Mr. Campbell's house when "she had passed out."

The woman fell asleep on the living room sofa and awoke to find her pants on the floor, she told the trooper.

She "stated that at no time has she ever consented to having sexual relations with Michael Campbell," the trooper said in the charging documents.

The woman was treated Saturday night at Carroll County General Hospital, where doctors found indications that she had had sex, the charging documents said.

The woman -- whose name is being withheld to protect her identity -- also told Trooper Fox that when she had been at the Campbells' house two or three days earlier, Mr. Campbell's wife showed her a picture. The picture was of the woman lying naked on a couch, the charging documents said.

But the woman told police she didn't remember the photos being taken.

She also told the trooper that she had blacked out Aug. 24 at the Campbells' house and that a friend of hers had seen pictures of Mr. Campbell engaging in sex acts with her.

The woman told police that she was a frequent guest of the Campbells' "because they provide her with alcohol," the records said.

Mr. Campbell was charged with second-degree rape, battery and third- and fourth-degree sexual offenses. The charges carry a maximum penalty of 31 years in state prison.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad