Monday's obituary of Eva Maria Souweine should have listed two surviving daughters, Rachel Souweine and Kathleen Souweine of Cockeysville. The Sun regrets the error.
Eva Maria Souweine
Special education teacher
Eva Maria Souweine, a Cockeysville resident and former special education teacher in Baltimore City and Baltimore County schools, died of cancer Friday at the National Institutes of Health in Washington. She was 42.
Mrs. Souweine last taught at Joppa View Elementary in 1991. She had lived in Cockeysville for eight years.
She was born in Germany and moved with her family to Florida in 1956. Soon after, they moved to Cecil County. She became a U.S. citizen in 1964.
Mrs. Souweine moved to Cumberland in 1981. She lived there for four years and helped start a Montessori school there.
She earned a bachelor's degree in special education from the University of Maryland and a master's degree in the same field from Loyola College. She also attended classes at Towson State University.
While in college, she studied for one year each in France and Germany. She graduated from the John Carroll School in Bel Air.
Mrs. Souweine was a member of the Church of the Nativity in Timonium and was active in the Wellness Community, a cancer support group in Towson. She enjoyed outdoor sports, including cross-country skiing, swimming and hiking.
A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 11 a.m. today at the Church of the Nativity, 1809 Vista Lane.
Mrs. Souweine is survived by her husband of 14 years, Dr. Timothy Souweine; a daughter, Rachel Kathleen; a son, Christopher; her parents, Fred and Irmgard Dierkes of Perryville; two sisters, Gabi Pozzi of Rising Sun and Annalie England of Elkton; a brother, Fred Dierkes of Perryville; and numerous nieces and nephews.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the American Cancer Society.
Priscilla Lee Miles
Wrote city guidebooks
Priscilla Lee Miles, a retired nurse and author of two guidebooks on Baltimore neighborhoods, died Nov. 15 at Dumbarton House in Georgetown, where she was staying while visiting Washington with a friend.
Miss Miles died in her sleep from complications related to low blood pressure. She was 70.
She had lived in Elkridge Estates apartments in Roland Park for ** the past three years.
In the late 1980s, the Baltimore native wrote a walking-tour guide to Roland Park and a guide book on 12 Baltimore neighborhoods. When she died, she was writing a guide to homes associated with the life of George Washington.
She hated to hear criticism of her hometown.
"It always made me mad. This was my town and I loved it," she told Evening Sun columnist Jacques Kelly a few years ago.
In the late 1970s, Miss Miles founded the Baltimore Council of Historic Sites and created Historic Baltimore Day, which offered tours of city sites. The council recently disbanded.
Miss Miles restored an 1830s rowhouse on Tyson Street in Mount Vernon, where she lived from the 1970s through the mid-1980s.
She retired from nursing in the mid-1980s after working in the field for about 40 years. She worked at Spring Grove Mental Hospital in Catonsville and taught nursing at the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing.
Miss Miles received a diploma from Union Memorial School of Nursing in 1945 and a bachelor of science degree from Hopkins in 1958. She became a member of the National League for Nursing in 1956.
Miss Miles graduated from Roland Park Country School in 1941. She lived most of her childhood on Club Road in Roland Park.
She was a board member of the Roland Park Evening School and the Baltimore Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. She also was a member of the Colonial Dames, the Mount Vernon Club and the Hamilton Street Club.
A memorial service was planned for 10 a.m. today at St. David's Church, 4700 Roland Ave.
Miss Miles is survived by a sister, Ann Miles Bishop; two nieces, Katherine Lee Bishop and Pamela Shreve Fanaras; two nephews, Alexander Hamilton Bishop IV and Timothy Livingston Bishop, all of Baltimore.
The family suggested contributions to the Baltimore SPCA, 3300 Falls Road.
Lem E. Kirk
Lem E. Kirk, a former Washington County commissioner and mayor of Hancock, died of congestive heart failure Thursday at Washington County Hospital in Hagerstown. He was 78.
He was born and reared on a farm in Fulton County, Pa. He graduated from Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania in 1935 and became a teacher in the southern Fulton school district for the next seven years. In 1932, he married Helen J. Truax, who died in 1981.
Mr. Kirk and his brother-in-law, gas-station owner Bernard Truax, owned the Little National Restaurant, said Mr. Kirk's son, Kieth A. Kirk, of Warfordsburg, Pa.
When Interstate 70 was built, the gas station and the restaurant were demolished. In 1945, the pair bought and operated the National Restaurant in Hancock. In 1953, they bought the former Mason-Dixon Motel.
Mr. Kirk purchased Rauth Motors from the widow of his best friend, Phil Rauth, and, in 1963, established Kirk Ford Sales Inc. -- Mr. Kirk was a founding member of the Hancock Development Corp., a member of the Ford Dealers Advertising Fund and on the board of directors of the Suburban Bank.
He was active in politics and was a member of the Hancock Town Council from 1951 to 1953 and in 1983. From 1953 to 1959, he was mayor of Hancock.
Mr. Kirk also was a Washington County commissioner from 1959 to 1974 and was commission president from 1966 to 1974. He was chairman of the Washington County Liquor Board, active in the Democratic Central Commission and on the board of directors of the department of Natural Resources.
At the time of his death, he was a member of the Tonoloway Rod and Gun Club, the North American Appalachian hunting clubs, Ducks Unlimited and the Hancock Rotary Club, where he was a past president and Paul Harris fellow. He was a member and past elder of Warfordsburg, Pa., Presbyterian Church.
Services were to be held at 1 p.m. today at Warfordsburg Presbyterian Church.
In addition to his son, Mr. Kirk is survived by his wife, the former Louise McCormick; a stepdaughter, Beverly Zimmerman of Hancock; a sister, Evelyn Hendershot of Warfordsburg; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
John Peter Hasenei
John Peter Hasenei, a retired assistant treasurer for the old Union Trust Co. in Baltimore, died Wednesday of cancer at his home in Catonsville. He was 83.
Mr. Hasenei retired 19 years ago after a career in banking that covered 48 years. He joined Union Trust in 1925 in the mail room and worked his way up, eventually managing the bookkeeping department and later the trust department.
He lived in Catonsville for the past 25 years. Before that he lived in Irvington for 20 years. He was raised in the Patterson Park area of East Baltimore.
Mr. Hasenei was a member of St. John's United Church of Christ in Catonsville for 40 years, and was treasurer there 1958 to 1962 and from 1966 to 1970.
He had been a member of the Corinthian Lodge in Catonsville since the late 1940s.
He was a member and an ambassador of the Boumi Temple and was treasurer of the Southern Maryland Shrine Club for 11 years.
In 1935, he and C. Leona Rohrbach were married.
He attended public schools near Patterson Park and earned his high school equivalency certificate in the early 1940s.
Mr. Hasenei enjoyed gardening, woodworking and cooking. He was a handyman who could fix a wide range of electrical and plumbing problems.
Services were to be held at 10 a.m. today at Saint John's United Church of Christ.
Mr. Hasenei is survived by two sons, J. Kenneth Hasenei Sr. of Ellicott City and Bruce D. Hasenei of Sykesville; two brothers, Russell Hasenei of Baltimore and William Hasenei of Pasadena; five sisters, Mildred Hasenei of Bel Air; Madeline Abel, Theresa Joska, Alma Kneas and Dorothy Patzwall, all of Baltimore; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial contributions to Saint Agnes Hospice.