Madhav S. BhagwatBusinessmanMadhav S. Bhagwat, a retired...

Madhav S. Bhagwat



Madhav S. Bhagwat, a retired businessman who often visited Baltimore, died Sunday of a stroke at University of Maryland Medical Center.

The 80-year-old resident of Bombay, India, retired in 1973 from a leather and pulp recycling business that he had established 40 years earlier.


During retirement, he and his wife made extended visits to Baltimore, where they had a son, and were active in the local Indian community.

Known as Dada, he was born and reared in Bombay, where his father was a landowner during the era when India was ruled by the British. He attended schools there and received his degree in physics and geology from the University of Bombay in 1931.

A Hindu-Brahman, he had an interest in 19th-century Indian classical music and enjoyed singing. A deeply religious man, he was known for his knowledge of ancient Sanskrit scriptures.

Hindu services were set for 1:30 p.m. today at the Ruck Towson Funeral Home, 1050 York Road, Towson.

He is survived by his wife of 53 years, the former Shashikala Mudholkar of Bombay; a son, Pradeep Bhagwat of Baltimore; three daughters, Sudha Geeta Ogale of Atlanta, and Sunanda Kandalgaonkar and Meena Kulkarni, both of Toronto; and six grandchildren.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Bidkar Maharaj Association, c/o Greater Baltimore Temple Inc., P.O. Box 28010, Baltimore 21239.

Margaret V. L. Culler

C&P; supervisor


Margaret Virginia L. Culler, a telephone company operator whose career spanned plug boards to modern telephone equipment, died Saturday of a heart attack at King's Daughters' Hospital in Staunton, Va. She was 74.

She retired in 1975 as a supervisor in the Baltimore office of the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. She began her career with the telephone company in Frederick in 1936 and was chief operator there and in Westminster in an era before direct dialing became common in the 1950s.

Born in Frederick, she received her education in schools there and was a 1936 graduate of Frederick High School.

She married Ralph E. Culler in 1939, who was a supervisor with C&P; in Havre de Grace. The couple made their home for the last 40 years in Westminster where she was a member of Grace Lutheran Church and served on the church council and as treasurer. She was also membership chairman for Friends of Carroll Lutheran Village, a retirement home.

She was a watercolorist who also enjoyed drawing and needlepoint. "She also like watching her soap operas," said her husband.

Fond of traveling through the United States and Europe, she once sailed aboard to Queen Elizabeth II to England and returned aboard the Concorde.


Services were set for 11 a.m. today at Grace Lutheran Church, 21 Carroll St., Westminster. Interment will be private at the Lutheran Cemetery in Jefferson.

In addition to her husband, Mrs. Culler is survived by two sons, Jeffrey L. Culler of Ellicott City and Dr. Ralph J. Culler III of Georgetown, Texas; a daughter, Judith C. Benik of Cockeysville; nine grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews.

Memorial contributions may be made to Grace Lutheran Church of Westminster.

James Kalman

Commercial artist

James Kalman, retired senior artist for the AAI Corp., died Saturday of complications of Parkinson's disease at his home on Marathon Court in Catonsville. He was 75.


He retired in 1981 after doing commercial artwork for AAI for about 25 years.

He had earlier been a commercial artist at The Baltimore Sun from 1945 until 1955, was art director for Speed Age Magazine published in Hyattsville and was briefly a designer for Samuel Kirk & Son.

He was a life member of the Maryland Arms Collectors Association and a collector of antique firearms. He did the artwork for "A Pictorial History of U.S. Martial Pistols" published in the late 1950s.

From 1970 until 1984, he painted a series of watercolors of American Indians, using old pictures, including those of well known tribal leaders.

Born and reared in Brooklyn, N.Y., he was a graduate of the Pratt Institute there.

During World War II, he served in the Pacific as a combat artist with the Coast Guard, taking photographs and making drawings, many of them aboard hospital ships. He attained the rank of chief petty officer.


He was a member of the Sincerity Lodge of the Masons, the Scottish Rite and the Baltimore Forest of the Tall Cedars of Lebanon.

Services were set for 10 a.m. today at the Leroy M. and Russell C. Witzke Funeral Home, 1630 Edmondson Ave. in Catonsville.

Mr. Kalman is survived by his wife, the former Alma Walter; two sons, Craig S. Kalman Sr. of Pikesville and David A. Kalman of Towson; a sister, Gertrude Brown of New York City; and four grandchildren.

E. T. Kelbaugh Jr.

Insurance agent

E. Tilden Kelbaugh Jr., an insurance agent and a former senior vice president of Giant Food Inc., died Tuesday after a heart attack at the home of a client.


The 56-year-old Baltimore native and Annapolis resident was an agent for the Prudential Insurance Co. for about two years. Earlier, he headed the construction and real estate division for the supermarket company, with which he was associated for 15 years. Previously, he was an engineer for the Whiting-Turner Contracting Co.

Mr. Kelbaugh, who was known as Tim, graduated from Polytechnic Institute and the University of Maryland at College Park.

He was fond of boating, fishing and the construction of remote controlled powered airplane models.

Services were conducted Saturday at Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church in Towson.

Mr. Kelbaugh is survived by his wife, the former Louise M. Cross; a daughter, Pamela K. Kronzer of Detroit; two sons, E. Tilden Kelbaugh III of Baltimore and Mark R. Kelbaugh of Montpelier, Vt.; his parents, Beatrice K. and E. Tilden Kelbaugh Sr. of Towson; two sisters, Joan Carol Bauer of Austin, Texas, and Deborah Sparks of Timonium; five brothers, Thomas G. Kelbaugh of Parkville, Ronald F. Kelbaugh of Towson, John P. Kelbaugh of Lutherville, Michael O. Kelbaugh and David W. Kelbaugh, both of Cockeysville; and four grandchildren.

John L. Thomas


Westinghouse retiree

John L. Thomas, a retired quality control supervisor at the Westinghouse Electric Corp. plant at Baltimore-Washington International Airport, died Saturday of cancer at North Arundel Hospital. He was 69.

He had begun working for Westinghouse in Pittsburgh in the late 1940s and moved to Glen Burnie when he was transferred to this area in 1954. He retired in 1972.

He was a member of the Holy Trinity Council of the Knights of Columbus and was the first adult leader of the Cub Scouts at Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church. He was a scoutmaster for the Boy Scouts and for many years was a member of the Troop Committee and other groups of adult leaders.

He had also coached youth baseball teams in Glen Burnie.

He was born in Graz, Austria, and his family moved to Pittsburgh while he was a young child. He served in the Navy during World War II.


A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at Holy Trinity Church, 7436 Baltimore-Annapolis Blvd. in Glen Burnie.

Mr. Thomas is survived by his wife of 44 years, the former Cecelia Tokar; two sons, David J. Thomas of Pasadena and Larry J. Thomas of Millersville; two daughters, Kathleen A. Teitler of Severn and Barbara T. Archer of Denton; a brother, Joseph Thomas of Pittsburgh; a sister, Theresa A. Thomas of Arlington, Va.; and four grandchildren.

Dr. George S. Baker


Dr. George S. Baker, a native of Pikesville and a retired neurosurgeon who specialized the treatment of back pain, died Saturday of heart disease at his home in Litchfield Park, Ariz.

Dr. Baker, who was 88, retired in 1970 as chairman of the Department of Neurological Surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., which he had joined in 1939. He was also a full professor at associated medical schools who was author of more than 75 published papers.


He was also a former president of the American Academy of Neurological Surgery, a member of the American Board of Neurological Surgery and an honorary member of the Italian Society of Neurological Surgery.

A graduate of Franklin High School in Reisterstown and, in 1927, of Western Maryland College, he earned a master's degree at Dartmouth College in 1929.

After his graduation in 1933 from the University of Maryland medical school in 1933, served an internship and residency at University Hospital before entering the Mayo Graduate School of medicine in 1935.

Dr. Baker served in the Army Medical Corps during World War II.

He is survived by his wife, the former Mary Enid Young; two sons, Bruce Baker, of Kansas City, Kansas, and George S. Baker, Jr., of Montana; a daughter, Turner Lane Broll, of Wilmington, Del.; three brothers, Dr. Edward K. Baker, of Westminster, Charles D. Baker, of Towson, and John H. Baker, of Winter Haven, Fla.; nine grandchildren and two great grandchildren.

Private services were planned for Dr. Baker.