Don’t miss Orioles players, John Means & Paul Fry, as they guest host at our Brews and O’s event!

Rev. John HickeySt. Margaret deaconThe Rev. John...


Rev. John Hickey

St. Margaret deacon

The Rev. John William Joseph "Jack" Hickey, deacon at St. Margaret Catholic Church in Bel Air, died Thursday at Fallston Hospital of complications related to heart surgery. He was 68.

Ordained into the Holy Orders of the Deaconate in July 1973, Mr. Hickey was a member of one of the first classes of married deacons in the Archdiocese of Baltimore.

His service to his church and community ranged from aiding Bel Air senior citizens to playing St. Nicholas for the children in his parish. He was active throughout the Archdiocese in his ministry.

Mr. Hickey had said he wanted to be remembered for his ministry and devotion to family, said his son, John Bernard Hickey of Jarrettsville.

A New York City native who came to Maryland in the 1950s when he joined the Army, Mr. Hickey was educated at Good Sheppard Parochial School and Power Memorial Academy in New York.

He studied at the Paulist Juniorate at St. Charles College Seminary in Catonsville and at the Oblate Mary Immaculate Seminary in Ipswich, Mass. He earned a bachelor's degree in English and Greek from Loyola College.

Mr. Hickey served St. Margaret Church and the Harford County community in several roles, including chaplain to the Legion of Mary, the Knights of Columbus Council 4714 and the Catholic Chapel at Aberdeen Proving Ground.

He was a member of the American Legion Post 39, and a former member of the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick and the Christian Family Conference Movements.

Mr. Hickey was especially active serving the Senior Housing Center in Bel Air and the Bel Air Nursing Home.

Though most people knew him as a deacon, he had made his living as an educational specialist for the Army Ordnance School in the Aberdeen Proving Ground Test and Evaluation Command. He entered the Army in 1950 and served on active duty and in the reserves during the Korean and Vietnam wars through 1965. He continued to work as an education specialist at Aberdeen as a civilian until he retired in 1982.

He also enjoyed traveling across the country and in Canada, visiting friends.

He is survived by his wife of 41 years, the former Anne Corinne Regan; six children, Anne H. Ober of Madonna, John Bernard Hickey of Jarrettsville, Robert Francis Xavier Hickey of Edgewood, and Patricia H. Ford, Kathleen H. Crisco and Joan H. Kelly, all of Bel Air; and 14 grandchildren. Earl H. Smith Jr., a college administrator in Illinois and California, died Friday at Stella Maris Hospice after a long illness. The Towson native was 54.

From 1974 to 1985, Mr. Smith was an associate director of financial aid at the University of Illinois.

In 1985, he became director of student affairs at the Stanford University School of Medicine and worked there four years. He lived in San Francisco during his tenure there and returned to Towson in 1989.

He attended Lida Lee Tall School at Towson State University and was a 1957 graduate of Towson High School. In 1961, he earned a bachelor's degree from Valparaiso University in Indiana.

Mr. Smith enjoyed the opera and art and did some painting. He was a member of First Lutheran Church in Towson.

Services are to be held at 10 a.m. today at First Lutheran Church of Towson, 40 E. Burke Ave.

Survivors include his mother, Mary Helen Smith of Towson; a brother, Ralph W. Smith of Millers; a sister, Bonnell S. Chambers of Trappe; and two nieces and a nephew.

Betty Gordon Asher

Paint store owner

Betty Gordon Asher, whose two Havre de Grace stores helped customers decorate homes both full size and miniature, died of heart disease Wednesday at Johns Hopkins Hospital. She was 71.

Mrs. Asher, who had enjoyed good health most of her life, developed heart problems in July.

She and her husband, A. Donald Asher, opened Greenleaf Supply Co. paint store in 1949 and worked together there until she retired in 1989. She and a daughter operated The Doll House next door.

Mr. and Mrs. Asher had been sweethearts since they were at Havre de Grace High School, where they were in the class of 1939. They celebrated their 54th wedding anniversary in June.

They shared many outdoor hobbies. They loved fishing, boating, trap shooting and other outdoor activities.

"She looked forward to warm weather in the spring, which meant spending time on the Delaware shore and its quiet tranquillity," said her daughter, Donna Mae Asher of Havre de Grace. "She loved nature and all God's creatures. She adored her pet dogs, Corky and Lady."

When Mr. Asher presented his wife with a Victorian dollhouse kit one year for Christmas, she fell in love with the hobby and wanted to share it with others, Ms. Asher said.

Ms. Asher and her mother opened The Doll House, a store that sells miniatures, in a building adjoining Greenleaf Supply in 1978. Mrs. Asher divided her time between the two stores. She would help customers choose paint and wallpaper in Greenleaf for their homes and decorate on a smaller scale in The Doll House.

She was a charter member of the Soroptimist International Club of Harford and Cecil counties.

Services are to be held at 10 a.m. today at Smith-Mitchell Funeral Home in Havre de Grace.

In addition to her husband and daughter, she is survived by a son, Arthur P. G. Asher II; and an aunt, Carrie Poplar Laurence, both of Havre de Grace; two grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Clifford F. Nagle

Purchasing agent

Clifford F. Nagle, a retired purchasing agent for Westinghouse Corp., died Thursday of a cerebral hemorrhage at St. Agnes Hospital. He was 69.

Mr. Nagle, of Woodlawn, retired 10 years ago after more than 30 years at Westinghouse.

A native of Brooklyn, N.Y., he served in the Army during World War II.

He was a member of the Palestine Masonic Lodge in Catonsville, the Scottish Rite, Boumi Temple and the Tall Cedars. Mr. Nagle played musette in the Boumi Temple Oriental Band for about 28 years. He marched in parades in Maryland, New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Washington, D.C.

He was a past patron of Woodlawn chapter of the Eastern Star.

Services will be held at 1 p.m. today at the G. Truman Schwab Funeral Home of Charring Cross, 5151 Baltimore National Pike.

Mr. Nagle is survived by his wife of 31 years, the former Frances Florie; a brother, Norman Nagle of Spring Hill, Fla.; a nephew, Ronald Nagle of Brooklyn, N.Y.; and a niece, Karen Nagle Cornelius of West Millford, N.J.

The family suggests contributions to the Ladder of Smiles, c/o Stanley Snyder, 133 Pinnacle Point Drive, Lancaster, Pa. 17601.

Samuel J. Mangus

Ran outpatient clinics

Dr. Samuel J. Mangus, a native of Dundalk who retired as a colonel in the Army Medical Corps, died Tuesday of complications of cancer at the Army Hospital at Fort Eustis, Va.

The 64-year-old Yorktown, Va., resident retired from the Army in 1978 as an internist at Fort Eustis Hospital. He remained on staff as a civilian employee in charge of the outpatient clinics until 1991.

The Sparrows Point High graduate was an enlisted man in the Army during the Korean War, then completed his education at Washington College and the University of Maryland Medical School. He returned to the Army as an Medical Corps officer at the Kimbrough Army Hospital at Fort Meade in the early 1960s. His decorations include the Legion of Merit.

Graveside services were to be conducted at 3 p.m. today at the Arlington National Cemetery. Services were offered Saturday in the chapel at Fort Eustis.

Dr. Mangus is survived by his wife, the former Ruth Bertram; four daughters, Bonnie Musto of Manassas, Va., Paula and Sherri Mangus, both of Yorktown, and Ruth Diamond of Anchorage; a brother, John Mangus of Annapolis; and two grandchildren.

Frank A. Everitt

Athlete, executive

Frank A. Everitt, 72, a retired partner in Calvert Coal Co. and former high school athlete who holds the Maryland Scholastic Association record for the longest drop-kick in a game, died Friday at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore after a heart attack.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be offered at 11:15 a.m. today at Immaculate Conception Church in Towson.

Mr. Everitt was a 1939 graduate of Forest Park High School, where he was a standout in football and ice hockey. He once drop-kicked a football 43 yards during a game in the old municipal stadium.

He entered the Army in 1940 as a private in the infantry and rose to captain. He served in the Battle of the Bulge in Belgium in 1944 and received a Purple Heart and a combat infantry badge.

He met his future wife, Marie-Rose Mouton, in France during the war. They were married for 45 years.

Mr. Everitt was a partner in Calvert Coal Co. from 1954 to his retirement in 1976. He also was active in Immaculate Conception Church and coached the Green Hornets' football team for the Lutherville Recreation Council for 17 years.

Besides his wife, he is survived by two sons, Stephen F. Everitt and Daniel A. Everitt; and a daughter, Leslie Matthews, all of Baltimore; and four grandchildren.

John Lone Butler

Retired Army mechanic

John Lone Butler of Odenton, a retired Army mechanic who enjoyed cooking, died of cancer Nov. 8 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. He was 63.

"We all knew him by his sweet potato pie," said his daughter Tawana Butler of Odenton. "And he always kept the family cars running."

Mr. Butler was born in Branchville, S.C., and had lived in Odenton for the past 23 years. He was a member of Severn Baptist Church.

He served in the Army for 21 years before retiring in 1974. His service included Vietnam.

In addition to Ms. Butler, survivors include his wife of 19 years, Vernell Butler; a son, Louis Butler of Branchville, S.C.; three other daughters, Thelma Butler of Branchville, and Shirley M. Butler and Vanessa Butler, both of Odenton; brothers Robert Butler Jr., James Butler and David Butler, all of Branchville; and six grandchildren.

Services were to be at 10 a.m. today at Severn Baptist. Interment will be at Maryland Veterans Cemetery in Crownsville.

Friends may call at the church from 8 a.m. until just before the services.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad