* Appraisal Resources Inc. announced that Michael A. Wilson, the company's vice president, has been licensed as a certified residential appraiser.
* Ashley Group Ltd., a custom home builder and developer based in Baltimore County, has changed its name to Ashley Custom Homes.
* Baltimore Neighborhoods Inc. is looking for volunteers to help the group respond to complaints of discrimination and monitor compliance with fair housing laws. For information, call 243-4400 or (800) 487-6007.
* Harkins Builders, of Silver Spring, has received a 1993 Award for Excellence in Construction Safety Management from the Metropolitan Washington Chapter of Associated Builders & Contractors. Harkins recently started construction on Weinberg House, a 116-unit project being built in Pikesville for The Associated Jewish Community Federation of Baltimore.
Long & Foster Real Estate Inc. is celebrating its 25th anniversary by offering 25 scholarships of $1,000 to "well-rounded" high school seniors in the mid-Atlantic region. Five of the winners will come from the Baltimore area.
Applicants must have a 3.0 grade-point average and demonstrate financial need. Students must also provide information on leadership positions, school and community groups to which they belong and part-time jobs while in school.
The deadline for applications is March 1, 1994. Applications can be obtained from Long & Foster offices.
* MacKenzie/O'Conor,Piper & Flynn Construction Corp. announced that Steven L. Snyder has passed the General Contractors exam, making him a certified commercial finishing carpenter.
* The National Association of Home Builders has just published "What First-Time Home Buyers Want," a 360-page book that examines choices made by first-time buyers. The book costs $75. Credit card orders can be placed by calling (202) 822-0414. For mail orders, send payment to NAHB Economics, 1201 15th St. N.W., Washington, D.C. 20005-2800.
* New Home Marketing Group Inc. in Ellicott City has changed its name to Builders 1st Choice -- The Power Tool for New Homes Sales.
* Szpara Residential Design has opened in Baltimore as a full-service design firm. Kenneth F. Szpara, formerly an architectural designer with Architecture Collaborative Inc., is the company's founder. Szpara offers single- and multifamily custom designs.
* Thulman Eastern Corp. has finished in the top three for the 1993 Builder's Choice award sponsored by the Suburban Maryland Building Industry Association. Thulman, a distributor of factory-built fireplaces, was cited for the quality of its marketing and management skills, advanced product technology and craftsmanship.
* Jeffrey L. Underwood was nominated as 1993 CRS of the Year by the Maryland Association of Realtors.
ON THE MOVE
* Ashley Custom Homes, a developer in Baltimore County, has appointed Dan Fisher sales manager for the community River Downs in Carroll County.