Harry carries Loch Raven to semifinal victory, 3-1 No. 8 Raiders strike quickly to oust Fallston 1A-2A girls soccer

Loch Raven forward Robyn Harry was the last player introduced before last night's Class 1A-2A state semifinal against Fallston.

It didn't take her long, however, to make her presence felt.


Harry, assisted by Christa Verleger, opened the scoring just 33 seconds into the game.

She scored again before the half was over to lead the eighth-ranked Raiders to a 3-1 victory over No. 11 Fallston at Catonsville Community College.


Loch Raven (15-1), seeking its first state title, will make its second consecutive appearance in the state championship game when it meets Hammond on Friday at 6 p.m. at Liberty.

Harry's quick goal set the tone for the first half. It took less than three minutes before Loch Raven's next goal when sophomore midfielder Bridget Harthausen scored unassisted to make it 2-0.

After two shutout victories in the regionals, the Cougars (11-4) had yielded two goals in the game's first three minutes and 22 seconds.

"We were really ready for this game," Harry said. "We knew we had to be up from the beginning."

The game appeared to be turning into a rout when Harry scored her second goal of the half with 26:33 remaining to give the Raiders a 3-0 lead.

Harry's shot deflected off a Fallston defender and rolled into the far corner of the net.

"We wanted to create some scoring opportunities right away," Loch Raven coach Lou Menegatti said. 'Naturally, we didn't expect to do it as fast as we did, but we have been able to do that."

Fallston's defense tightened, however, and the Cougars remained within 3-0 at halftime.


"We were concerned at halftime about letting up after getting off to the fast start," Menegatti said.

Menegatti's concern was not unwarranted.

The Cougars controlled the ball in the second half and Jenny Weber broke through for Fallston's only goal -- assisted by Cindy Wolf -- with 35:48 left.

"Fallston really got up for the second half," Menegatti said. "They started passing the ball on the ground instead of in the air. Our girls, maybe because of the big lead, laid back and left a number of them unmarked. That created passing lanes for Fallston."

It wasn't meant to be for the Cougars, however, who failed to capitalize on several scoring opportunities.

"We knew we were a better team than we showed early," Fallston coach Nancy Ferguson said. "After we got the first-half jitters out of the way, we were much more aggressive. But you have to play 80 minutes to beat a good team."


Despite the loss, Ferguson said she was proud of her team's accomplishments.

"We weren't supposed to be here," she said. "We only lose one senior. So if we get back here next season, maybe we won't have to deal with those first-half jitters."