Francis J. Shearer Jr.Administrative assistantFrancis J. Shearer...

Francis J. Shearer Jr.

Administrative assistant


Francis J. Shearer Jr., an early Otterbein homesteader and retired administrative assistant, died Saturday at the Cardinal Shehan Center of cancer.

The 69-year-old Baltimore resident moved to his Lee Street residence in the 1970s. The neighborhood activist was a charter member of the Otterbein Community Association.


He was a career military officer before he went to work as an administrative assistant to the director of the Baltimore County Office of Planning and Zoning in 1962. He retired from that job in 1985. A native of Wethersfield, Conn., he attended schools there and in Hartford, Conn., and was a 1941 graduate of Wethersfield High School.

His studies at Yale University were interrupted when he enlisted in the Army in 1942. After attending the Army Medical Corps Officer Candidate School, he was commissioned a second lieutenant and was an assistant field surgeon in the 46th Tank Battalion, 13th Armored Division of the 3rd Army in Germany.

After his discharge in 1946, he returned to Yale and earned a bachelor's degree in 1948 under an accelerated program for veterans. He then enrolled at Georgetown University and left to accept a regular Army commission as a second lieutenant. He was an artillery officer with the 39th Field Artillery, 3rd Infantry Division, and saw action in Korea. He ended his military career in 1961, having attained the rank of major.

Active in civic affairs, he was president of the Lions Club of Overlea and a member of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 3365 of Hartford. He was a volunteer at St. Joseph Hospital in Towson in the digestive disease center until his final illness.

In 1992, he was recognized by the hospital for his work and was featured on a Channel 13 "salute" segment on the evening news.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at the Basilica of the Assumption, Cathedral and Mulberry streets, Baltimore. Interment will be in Dulaney Valley Memorial Gardens.

He is survived by a brother, Robert E. Shearer of Wethersfield; and several nieces and nephews.

Memorial contributions may be made to St. Joseph Hospital, 7620 York Road, Towson, Md. 21204.


Michael David Stolle

Computer firm executive

Michael David Stolle, vice president of Adia Information Technologies, a Towson-based computer firm, died Saturday of cancer at a hospital in Newark, Del. He was 44.

Mr. Stolle moved to Wilmington, Del., from Perry Hall in 1991, when he became vice president in charge of the company's operations in New Jersey and Delaware.

With Adia for a decade, he earlier served as controller. He moved to the Baltimore area in 1977 while working with Western Auto, living first in Westminster and later in Perry Hall.

Born in Chicago, he attended Ohio Wesleyan University before his graduation from the University of Missouri in Kansas City. He also did graduate work in business administration at the Johns Hopkins University. He was a former member of Camp Chapel United Methodist Church in Perry Hall.


A memorial service was set for 11 a.m. today at Aldersgate United Methodist Church in Wilmington.

He is survived by his wife, the former Jean E. Boyd; two daughters, Christina Stolle of Wilmington and Melissa Stolle of Pensacola, Fla.; a son, Michael Stolle of Culpepper, Va.; his parents, Daniel and Juanita Stolle of Homosassa, Fla.; two brothers, Steve Stolle of Sudbury, Mass., and Paul Stolle, of Charleston, S.C.; and a sister, Danita Bounds of Overland Park, Kan.

George F. Sander Jr.

Headed funeral home

George F. Sander Jr., who since 1978 had headed the funeral home established by his great-grandfather, died Thursday at the JTC Geriatric Center at Francis Scott Key Medical Center of complications of a stroke. The 65-year-old Guilford resident had headed Henry Sander & Sons since the death of his father. The business had been housed in a three-story mansion on North Avenue at Broadway since being moved in 1939 from a building farther down Broadway.

The mansion, designed by George A. Frederick, who also designed City Hall, was completed in 1896 and first housed the family of brewer George C. Bauernschmidt. More recently, part of the television series "Homicide" was filmed there.


Mr. Sander was a 1946 graduate of the McDonogh School and a 1951 graduate of the University of Maryland at College Park. He was also a graduate of the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science and the University of Baltimore law school.

He was a member of the Sons of the American Revolution, the Society of the War of 1812, the St. George's Society, the German Society, the Southern Maryland Society, the St. Mary's County Historical Society, the Maryland Historical Society and the Paint and Powder Club.

He was a former master of the Concordia Lodge of the Masons and also belonged to the York Rite and Boumi Temple. He was a member of Grace English Evangelical Lutheran Church in Lutherville.

He is survived by an uncle, Edwin H. Ford of St. Michaels; an aunt, Elizabeth Ford Geis of Baltimore; and many cousins.

Services were held yesterday.

Lillian Mae Roberts


Bank teller

Lillian Mae Roberts, who lived for many years in Glen Burnie and worked as a teller in the 1970s at the Glen Burnie Savings and Loan Association, died Friday of Alzheimer's disease at a LaPlata nursing home.

Mrs. Roberts, 78, had been a member of the Altar Guild at St. Alban's Episcopal Church, the Ki-Wives and the Anne Arundel County Historical Society.

The former Lillian Mae Seebo was a native of Baltimore and a graduate of the Glen Burnie High. She also attended the Baltimore Business College. As a young woman, she served as a substitute teacher in Anne Arundel County public schools.

Her husband of 53 years, Clifton B. Roberts Jr., died in 1988.

Services were set for 10 a.m. today at St. Alban's Episcopal Church, First Avenue and A Street S.W., Glen Burnie.


She is survived by a son, C. Boyd Roberts of Danville, Calif.; two daughters, Janice Wilhelm of LaPlata and Carole Lee Polk of Blackhawk, Calif.; seven grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Joseph A. Ruby

Chef, retired steel worker

Joseph A. Ruby, a chef, retired steel worker and a harmonica player, died Thursday after a heart attack at his Sykesville home.

The 66-year-old former Middle River resident moved to Sykesville more than 25 years ago, retiring in 1976 as a pump operator after 23 years at the Bethlehem Steel Corp. plant at Sparrows Point.

Since 1977, he was chef at Sharon Krickler's Elders Cafe in Eldersburg. He also did catering independently and through the restaurant.


A native of Baltimore, he served in the Navy during World War II and the Korean War. He was a member of the Blue Grass Music Association, Lions Clubs International, American Legion in Sykesville and the Knights of Columbus.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 9:45 a.m. today at St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Eldersburg.

He is survived by his wife of 41 years, the former Kathleen M. McShane; two daughters, Kathleen Patricia Harrington of Columbia and Karen J. Hoopengardner of Flintstone; two sisters, Mary Ann Pastoric and Delores Rawlins, both of Baltimore; and five grandchildren.

Joseph C. Mason

Shoe repairman

Joseph C. Mason, a retired shoe repairman, died Wednesday at the Liberty Medical Center of heart and respiratory failure.


The 83-year-old Baltimore resident retired about 20 years ago from the Century Shoe Repair Co., where he had worked for many years.

A native of the Govans area and a graduate of Douglass High School, he was a member of the male chorus and the usher board at Enon Baptist Church, where services were conducted yesterday.

His wife, the former Elizabeth C. Bundy, died in 1987.

He is survived by a daughter, Frances M. Key of Baltimore; two sons, George Mason of Baltimore and John Mason of Maine; a sister, Anna Barnes of Baltimore; 17 grandchildren; and 25 great-grandchildren.