Union Bridge man, 33, charged in kidnapping 11-year-old son of girlfriend taken


A 33-year-old Union Bridge man was arrested and charged yesterday with abducting his girlfriend's 11-year-old son in Westminster.

The suspect, Roy Clifton Johnson Jr., also is charged with multiple assault, battery, breaking and entering, and malicious destruction of property, police said. He was being held yesterday in the Carroll County Detention Center on $25,000 bond.

Mr. Johnson was arrested at his mother's home in Union Bridge about two hours after the alleged kidnapping.

According to charging documents, Judy Deardorff, of the 2600 block of Littlestown Pike, told Westminster police that Mr. Johnson choked and threatened her during an argument at her home about 6:30 a.m.

Ms. Deardorff said she left the house with her children, Ryan, 11, and Candice, and went to the home of a friend on East Green Street in Westminster. She said she asked the friend, Janice Kerr, to baby-sit because she was afraid to leave the children at home with Mr. Johnson while she went to work.

Ms. Kerr told police she was in her bathroom at 8:05 a.m. when she heard a man's voice. She said she found Mr. Johnson attempting to pull Ryan out of the house.

Ms. Kerr told police that she grabbed the boy's arm to prevent the man from taking him. Ryan broke away and ran to the kitchen. Mr. Johnson began hitting and kicking her, and hit the glass on the door, shattering it, Ms. Kerr said. She said he threatened the boy to make him leave the house.

Charging documents said Ryan called Ms. Kerr's house about 9:30 a.m. to tell her he was OK.

Patrolman 1st Class Misty Sanders, who had responded to the call about a kidnapping and also was on the telephone, reported that she could hear an adult male voice in the background. When the officer asked Ryan where he was, he said he was in New Windsor, then the phone line went dead, Patrolman Sanders reported.

Police telephoned the home of Mr. Johnson's mother in Union Bridge and learned he was on his way there. He had asked her to call Ms. Deardorff and tell her to meet him there, police said.

Westminster and state police went to the house, in the 100 block of Lightner St., where Ryan was found. Mr. Johnson surrendered without incident, police said.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad