Hart gets Annapolis boys lacrosse coach job back

Annapolis boys lacrosse coach Dan Hart was informed yesterday by principal Laura Webb that he will coach the Panthers in the spring.

Coaches' contracts are considered for renewal on an annual basis, and Hart's was not renewed last spring.


A letter from the Chesapeake Lacrosse Officials condemning Hart's behavior as a coach as being "unacceptable" had been sent to Webb, Annapolis athletic director Fred Stauffer and the Board of Education.

As a result, Hart's contract was not renewed after five seasons and an overall record of 45-28, including four playoff appearances and a state runner-up finish.


At the time, Webb said, "The letter from the officials listed three allegations of behavior violations by Dan, and all I can say is, his contract has not been renewed."

Webb was surprised by the letter, dated June 3, because she thoughtthe season had gone free of incident and said, "I don't know why they [officials] would wait until the end of the season to send the letter."

Hart, who had appealed his dismissal, and Webb met with

Annapolis lacrosse players yesterday to give them the news. Hart said he "was elated" by the decision but declined further comment.

Webb said, "Through personnel action, Dan was recommended to be reinstated and I informed him and the students this afternoon. Now wehave a lot of happy people."

One of the major allegations was that Hart went to the house of Harry Dobson, the commissioner of officials, after the Panthers' season ended in a one-goal playoff loss to eventual state 3A-4A champion Broadneck.

Hart was distraught over the loss and the fact that Buzz Winchester was one of the game officials. Hart said Dobson had promised to keep Winchester off Annapolis games because of a personality conflict.

Dobson was not happy that Hart came to his house, but he later met with Webb and said, "Perhaps something can be straightened out because the letter was not mailed to have [Hart] removed."


Winchester wrote the letter on behalf of the officials' executive board, and as president of the group, he signed it.

After a series of meetings with Webb, the Board of Education and Dobson (who defended Hart), Hart got his job back.