Around the house
* Make a spooky light for trick-or-treaters. Paint a metal vegetable grater with black paint and place it over a votive candle. Also, illuminate the front porch area with a few candles that have been stuck into apples and tiny pumpkins. Carve a small hole in the top of the fruit to insert candle.
* Need an instant pair of horns for a costume? Cut two fingers from an old rubber kitchen glove. Stuff them with cotton, then paint them.
* Lubricate and adjust the garage door.
* When a fireplace isn't in use, close fireplace dampers, so room heat does not escape up the chimney.
* Apply a heavy coat of paste wax to a clean wall in back of kitchen stove. Subsequent grease spots will be easily removed with a dry paper towel.
* A spritz of hair spray will remove felt-tip marker stains from hands.
* Conserve water. Wash full loads of laundry and dishes. Use a basin for hand washing rather than allowing the water to run. Use shorter dishwasher cycle if dishes aren't heavily soiled.
In the garden
* Water dogwoods, broadleaf evergreens and newly planted trees thoroughly before ground freezes.
* Protect small plants, including perennials, cuttings and bulbs, from frost heave by mulching.