Annapolis blanks Arundel, remains in county title hunt Football HIGH SCHOOLS PLUS


Kenny Boyd ran for 163 yards and three touchdowns on 27 carries as No. 11 Annapolis (7-2) blanked Arundel, 36-0, last night.

With the win, the Panthers moved into a first-place tie with North County (7-1) in the county 4A League. Both teams are 5-1. The Knights have their homecoming at 2 p.m. today against Meade (3-5).

"There is no doubt about it that we needed this win to stay alive for the playoffs and possibly a county title," said Annapolis coach Roy Brown, whose Panthers play host to archrival Severna Park next week in the final regular-season game.

"Our kids were doubting themselves after last week, wondering that maybe they weren't that good, but they got it back tonight. We were more aggressive on both sides of the ball than we were against North County."

Arundel (5-4) was attempting to clinch its first winning season since 1985 when the Wildcats were 9-2 under Buddy Hepfer. An Arundel victory also would have put the Wildcats in position to win the county Class 4A title next week at archrival Meade. Two wins in the final two games would have left the Cats at 6-1 in league play and it would not have mattered what North County did today.

Boyd, who owns county leading totals in yards (1,287), attempts (209), touchdowns (17) and total points (108), was especially quick.

"Kenny ranks right up there with the best we've ever had at Annapolis," said Brown.

The Panthers senior carried 20 times for 137 yards and two touchdowns in the first half.

Boyd broke the ice just two minutes into the second period. The Panthers, who had a total offense of 369 yards -- 292 rushing and 77 passing by Juan Johnson, drove 87 yards in 11 plays for the first score.

On the initial scoring drive, Boyd ran seven times for 41 yards and a 4-yard touchdown dive. After Juan Johnson missed the extra-point kick and Arundel roughed him up for a penalty, Brown went for two points and Boyd crashed in from the two.

Boyd's second touchdown, a 9-yard bolt, was set up by a Johnson to Joe Pergerson 22-yard pass play. Johnson's kick with 4:36 left in the half made it 15-0.

When Arundel botched the kickoff to start the second half, Chris Johnson fell on the loose ball at the Wildcat 3. Boyd then scored.

Jerry Thompson and Darnell Ravenell later scored touchdowns of 28 and 4 yards, respectively.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad