Russell P. ClarkBG&E; trouble-shooterRussell P. Clark, a...

THE BALTIMORE SUN

Russell P. Clark

BG&E; trouble-shooter

Russell P. Clark, a retired Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. trouble-shooter who flew 25 missions aboard B-17 Flying Fortresses as a radio operator in World War II, died Thursday of a heart attack at North Arundel Hospital.

The Glen Burnie resident was 71.

He retired in 1985 after a 39-year career with the utility.

Born in Severn, he attended schools there and was a 1940 graduate of Glen Burnie High School.

He enlisted in the Army Air Forces in 1943 and was based with the 95th Bomb Group at Horham, England. He was active in the unit's veterans association and enjoyed attending its reunions.

After his discharge, he returned to Glen Burnie and married Ruth M. Martin in 1946.

He was a 40-year member of the Glen Burnie Volunteer Fire Company.

Services were to be held at 10 a.m. today at the Kirkley Ruddick Funeral Home, 421 Crain Highway in Glen Burnie. Interment will be in Glen Haven Memorial Park.

In addition to his wife, his survivors are a son, Colin M. Clark of Brooklyn Park; a daughter, Bonnie C. Keefer of Glen Burnie; a brother, Leslie C. Clark of Linthicum; two sisters, Ruth Myers of North Linthicum and Iva McClean of Holly Hill, Fla.; and six grandchildren.

Anita L. Richardson

Diplomatic officer

Anita Lauve Richardson, 79, a retired foreign service officer, -- died of a stroke Oct. 22 at the Westminster Nursing and Convalescent Center in Westminster, where she had been a resident since 1986.

Her last overseas assignment was as special assistant to U.S. Ambassador Graham Martin at the embassy in Saigon in 1974. She left there shortly before the United States withdrew from Vietnam in April 1975 and retired from the State Department. She lived in Washington, D.C., from 1975 to 1986.

She was born in Upper Montclair, N.J., and was educated partly in France, where she lived with her parents from 1925 to 1934.

In 1937, she earned a bachelor's degree in music, which was jointly awarded by the Johns Hopkins University and the Peabody Conservatory of Music.

She taught music and French at the Calvert School until 1941, when she joined the Red Cross, working in Africa, Rome and Capri during the war years.

She began her foreign service career in 1945 as a cultural assistant in Paris. After the French left Vietnam in 1954, she was a political officer in Saigon. In 1957, she returned to Washington and worked at the State Department as a career development officer.

After studying at the University of California, she was posted to New Delhi, India, in 1958 as an economics officer. She returned to Vietnam during the 1960s as a special assistant to Ambassador Ellsworth Bunker.

"She was a very cultivated person who was reared with a European background," recalled Mary Vance Trent, of Washington, who knew Mrs. Richardson for 40 years.

Interment was to be in Austin, Texas.

She is survived by her husband, E. Drayton Richardson of Lago Vista, Texas; a brother, Henri de Segur Lauve of Grosse Point, Mich.; a sister, Dr. Celeste L. Woodward, and brother-in-law, Dr. Theodore Englar Woodward of Baltimore; and many nieces and nephews.

Bruce Ford Brown

Investor, preservationist

Bruce Ford Brown, chairman of the board of a family-owned investment company and an Annapolis resident active in historical preservation, died Oct. 5 at Anne Arundel Medical Center after suffering a heart attack in his car. He was 73.

Mr. Brown was chairman of Broventure Co. Inc., the investment company, and managed the 70,000-acre Broseco Ranch, a family-owned cattle ranch. The ranch, located at Mount Pleasant, is the second largest in Texas.

He retired in 1975 as president and owner of Bruce GM Diesel of Lodi, N.J., which he established in 1946. He also had owned Power Systems Division of Rocky Mount, N.C., which he sold in 1974 to the Morris Knudsen Co. Inc., of Boise, Idaho, manufacturers of stand-by emergency power generators.

He was born in Philadelphia and reared in Port Deposit and in Irvington, N.Y. He was a 1939 graduate of the Hotchkiss School and attended Williams College.

During World War II, he worked at the Allison Aircraft Engine plant in Indianapolis and later for the Motors Holding Division of General Motors.

He moved to Annapolis in 1975 and became active in the Historic Annapolis Foundation, where he was voted "Man of the Year." He devoted his time to such restoration projects as Acton Hall and the Lord Calvert Hotel.

He was a member of the Annapolitan Club and was a communicant of St. James Parish in Tracy's Landing.

Services were held Oct. 9.

Mr. Brown is survived by his wife, the former Gretel Mangs Ruth of New York City, whom he married in 1970; three sons, Stephen D. Brown of Fayetteville, N.C., Thomas M. Brown of Annapolis and Bruce F. Brown of Santa Monica, Calif.; four daughters, Sarah L. Brown and Greta B. Peters, both of Richmond, Va., Lorraine E. Brown of Santa Monica and Donnaldson K. Brown of New York City; a brother, Vaughan W. Brown of Woodbine; a sister, Greta B. Schutt of Mendenhall, Pa.; and 13 grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Anne Arundel Medical Center, c/o Anne Arundel Medical Center Foundation, Franklin and Cathedral streets, Annapolis 21401.

@

Lester D. Davis

School maintenance man

Lester D. Davis, who retired after 13 years as a maintenance man for the Harford County school system and worked earlier at the General Motors plant in Baltimore, died Thursday of cancer at Harford Memorial Hospital in Havre de Grace. He was 69.

The 15-year resident of Conowingo was a native of Glencoe, Okla., who was reared in Kansas. He served in the Army in Germany during World War II.

He moved to Baltimore after the war and lived in Joppa for a time. He was a life member of the Joppatowne Post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Services were to be held at 11 a.m. today at Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church in Rising Sun.

He is survived by his wife, the former Betty F. Stroh; three sons, David A. Davis of Hope, Kan., Robert Davis of Port Deposit and Eric J. Davis of Saltville, Va.; three daughters, Debra J. Ordway of Conowingo, Cheryl A. Doran of Edgewood and Diane M. Anderson of Manchester, Pa.; a brother, Harold Davis of Oklahoma; a sister, Thelma Schick of Phillipsburg, Kan.; and 19 grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the American Cancer Society.

Adelaide E. Sutton

School bus driver

Adelaide Elizabeth Sutton, who retired in August as a school bus driver for Woodlawn Motor Coach Inc., died Thursday of cancer at the home of her son in Gore, Va. She was 71.

Mrs. Sutton lived on Chapman Road in Randallstown. She had driven a bus for 33 years, transporting schoolchildren in the Columbia and Woodlawn areas, as well as members of organizations that chartered buses.

The former Adelaide Elizabeth Groves was a native of Granite and a graduate of Randallstown Elementary School and Catonsville High School.

She married William C. Sutton after the death in 1981 of her first husband, Walter E. Zepp.

She was a former president of the Randallstown Homemakers and had been on the planning committee for the 80th Anniversary Festival at Randallstown Elementary School.

Graveside services were to be held at 11 a.m. today at Wards Chapel Cemetery, Wards Chapel and Liberty roads near Liberty Dam.

In addition to her husband, her survivors include her son, Herbert W. Zepp of Gore, Va.; two brothers, Austin Groves of Homosassa, Fla., and Stanley Groves of Westminster; two grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

William Sams Jr.

Motorboat racer

A Mass of Christian burial for William Joseph Sams Jr., who became a motorboat racer after working as a stonemason's helper, was to be offered at 10:30 a.m. today at Our Lady of Sorrows Roman Catholic Church in Owensville.

Mr. Sams, who lived in Lothian and was known as Little Joe, was killed Tuesday in an automobile accident on Route 2 in Harwood. He was 29.

For the past two years, he worked at the Turkey Point Marina and drove the marina's winning entry in the Kent Narrows Powerboat Challenge Regatta. The winnings both years were contributed to the Baltimore Burn Center at the Francis Scott Key Medical Center.

Earlier, he was a marble mason's helper, employed by a Washington contracting firm, Boatman & Magnani Inc.

Born in Washington and raised in Lothian, he was a 1982 graduate of Southern High School in Harwood.

He was a member of the Loyal Order of Moose and Finishers and Helpers Local 31 of the International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craftsmen.

He is survived by his parents, Ann and William Joseph Sams of Lothian; a sister, Carrie Ann DePetris of Annapolis; a brother, Stephen V. Sams of Annapolis; and one niece.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Baltimore Burn Center.

William Stewart Jr.

Plumber and electrician

William F. Stewart Jr., retired owner of a plumbing, electrical and artesian well drilling company, died Oct. 23 of cancer at Union Hospital in Elkton. He was 83.

The resident of Still Pond in Kent County retired in 1991. He had first worked for his father in a plumbing business started by his great-grandfather. He became a licensed electrician and expanded the business when he took it over.

He was an honorary member of the Kent County Master Electricians Association.

At Mount Zion United Methodist Church in Still Pond, he served on the trustee and administrative boards, as recording secretary and as Sunday school teacher and superintendent.

In the Prince Hall Masons, he was a former master of the Thomas H. Kiah Lodge and a former patron of the Sarah E. Travers Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star, both in Rock Hall. He was also a member of of the Grand Lodge of Maryland, the Hiram Consistory and Jerusalem Temple, all in Baltimore.

Services for Mr. Stewart were to be held at 1 p.m. today at Mount Zion United Methodist Church.

He is survived by his wife of 62 years, the former Margaret Virginia Driver; a son, John C. Stewart of Chestertown; two daughters, Martha Elaine Lively of Still Pond and Mary Arlena Holland of Wilmington, Del.; eight grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

@

Harvey D. Young

Retired police sergeant

Harvey D. Young, a retired Baltimore County police sergeant, died Monday of cancer at a hospital in St. Petersburg, Fla. He was 82.

He moved to St. Petersburg from Edgemere in 1967, two years after his retirement as a dispatcher at police headquarters in Towson. Earlier in his 23-year career in the department he was stationed in Edgemere.

The native of Weatherly, Pa., moved to the Baltimore area in the early 1940s. In the Edgemere community, he had been president of the volunteer fire department and a deacon at Hughes Memorial Presbyterian Church. He was a member of the Edgemere Lodge of the Moose and the Baltimore County Retired Firefighters and Police Association.

In Florida, he became a member of the Elmer O. Smith Lodge of the Masons and of the Order of the Amaranth and an elder and deacon of Gulfport Presbyterian Church. He was also a member of the National Campers and Hikers Association and an auxiliary member of the Pinellas County Sheriff's Department.

Services were to be held at 11 a.m. today at the Jeffries Funeral Home in Weatherly. Services were held Wednesday in St. Petersburg.

He is survived by his wife of 59 years, the former Ethyl Tobias; two daughters, Beverly Morgan of Warren, Ohio, and Diane Young McCormack of Truckee, Calif.; a brother, William E. Young of Ebensburg, Pa.; two sisters, Florence Methlie of Elizabethtown, Pa., and Elizabeth Hittinger of Westville, N.J.; three grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
39°