Carroll Recreation and Parks Director Richard J. Soisson has recommended the appointments of four residents to three-year terms on the county Recreation and Parks board.
* Cliff Beck, chairman of Mount Airy's town recreation council.
* Edward S. Calwell of the Westminster Recreation Council.
* Carolyn A. Garber of Winfield, vice president of the Carroll Equestrian Council.
* Ken Lawson of the Deer Park Recreation Council.
Mr. Soisson said yesterday he submitted the names to the county commissioners. In the past, the commissioners have accepted some nominations and rejected others, he said.
Commissioner Donald I. Dell said the board had not yet considered the nominees.
At its meeting yesterday at the Piney Run Park Nature Center, the Recreation and Parks board honored four members who are leaving the board at the end of this month after serving two three-year terms.
* Robin Farinholt, principal of the Carroll County Education Center.
* Westminster attorney Clark R. Shaffer.
* Sykesville resident Merrill Sumey.
* Westminster resident Romeo Valianti. The commissioners recently appointed Mr. Valianti to the county liquor board.
The Recreation and Parks board reviews building projects for the commissioners and works to provide leisure activities for residents.
In other business yesterday, Mr. Soisson said county workers are grading several acres at the former Spiegel farm in Union Mills for use as an airstrip for model planes.
The airstrip should be ready for use by spring, he said.
Model plane enthusiasts are flying now at the closed John Owings Landfill north of Westminster. After a debate that lasted several months, the commissioners voted last summer to move the airstrip to the farm.
Neighbors at both sites complained about potential noise from the planes.