Cigarette ignites unknown fumes Taneytown business building burns

THE BALTIMORE SUN

A Taneytown building that housed two small businesses caught fire Monday night when fumes from an unidentified substance were ignited by a cigarette.

No one was injured in the fire, which started shortly before 11 p.m. at the Ridenour Service Center, 230 Roberts Mills Run.

Officials said the fire began when an employee lighted a cigarette near a flammable solvent in the auto repair and assembly shop.

A state fire marshal reported that the fire, which is being considered an accident, caused $5,000 worth of damage.

Firefighters from Taneytown, Harney, Union Bridge and Emmitsburg, plus fire companies from Littlestown and Kingsdale in Pennsylvania, reported the fire under control within 10 minutes.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
43°