The Maryland Occupational Safety and Health office is investigating an accident in Finksburg Monday in which a man was burned when he touched a high-voltage power line.
Michael Gower, 25, an employee of Henkels & McCoy Inc., was in critical condition yesterday at the Francis Scott Key Medical Center burn unit in Baltimore. His condition had worsened from Monday, when he was listed in serious condition.
Mr. Gower received third-degree burns over 50 percent to 70 percent of his body.
Mr. Gower and other Henkels & McCoy employees were working as subcontractors for Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. and were upgrading a 33,000-volt line to 115,000 volts, a utility spokeswoman said.
Mr. Gower was working on a pole near Patapsco and Sandymount Roads about 3:30 p.m. when he touched the line, sending high voltage through his body. Customers from Finksburg to Westminster experienced a momentary power outage. "We are aware of the situation and are currently conducting an investigation," said Doug Wallis, MOSH supervisor of operations.
BG&E; also is investigating, spokeswoman Peggy Mulloy said.