Allan C. Driver
Began livestock market
Allan Cornelius Driver, a third-generation cattle dealer who founded the Baltimore Livestock Auction Market, died Thursday of a stroke at St. Agnes Hospital. He was 80.
Mr. Driver, who lived in Ellicott City, built the livestock market in West Friendship and managed it for more than 30 years. Also known as the "cow palace," it was the largest of Maryland's livestock markets.
Before opening the market in 1954, Mr. Driver ran the Baltimore Union Stockyards, following in the footsteps of his father and grandfather. He retired in 1986, and the livestock auction market closed a few years later.
The Baltimore Livestock Auction Market was a livestock clearinghouse for farmers from New Jersey to the Carolinas. It was housed in one of the largest pole barns in the world, according to a 1961 article in The Sun.
Some 60,000 cattle were sold at the market each year to meatpackers and farmers.
"At the time, it was the up-and-coming way of marketing livestock, as opposed to the private selling of cattle," said Mr. Driver's son, Allan C. Driver Jr. of Marriottsville.
In the 1961 Sun article, Mr. Driver described the advantages of the auction market.
"All business is done out in the open where everybody sees what's going on," he said. "All buyers have an equal chance, . . . thus it's a great drawing card for the little man."
In addition to running the livestock market, Mr. Driver raised cattle on his 400-acre Marriottsville farm.
Born in Timberville, Va., Mr. Driver graduated from Catonsville High School in 1932 and attended Strayer Business College in Baltimore.
He was an amateur pilot and flew for pleasure and business. In 1952, he flew Gov. Theodore R. McKeldin to campaign appearances around the state.
Mr. Driver belonged to several livestock marketing organizations. was president of the Competitive Livestock Marketing Association, the Maryland Livestock Auction Association, the National Livestock Association and the National Cattlemen's Association. He served on the board of directors of the Howard County Fair and the Eastern National Livestock Show.
His first wife, the former Helen J. Straten, died in 1968. His daughter, Sarah Feaga, died in 1981.
Services for Mr. Driver were to be held at 11 a.m. today at the Haight Funeral Home in Sykesville.
In addition to his son, Mr. Driver is survived by his wife of 25 years, the former Jane Barnett Cleveland; a daughter, Jeanette Wessel of Annapolis; three stepsons, Donald Barnett of Lake Ridge, Va., Robert Barnett of Marriottsville and Jeffrey Barnett of Sykesville; a sister, Pauline Blankner of Westminster; and five grandchildren.
Lillian W. Canaday
Eastern Shore teacher
Lillian W. Canaday, who taught on the Eastern Shore as a young woman, died Oct. 8 of leukemia at the Inns of Evergreen Northwest in Baltimore.
Mrs. Canaday, 85, lived in West Baltimore for many years. She was born Lillian Winstead in Hulls Neck, Va., and graduated from the Petersburg Normal School.
She came to Maryland as a young woman, teaching during the week in Somerset County and spending weekends at home in Baltimore. She later sang as a soprano in a Peabody Conservatory chorus and was a founder of the Baltimore Chapter of the Self Realization Fellowship.
L Her husband, William S. Canaday, a contractor, died in 1970.
Services are private.
Mrs. Canaday is survived by two daughters, Lucrezia Canaday of Reisterstown and Anna Canaday of Baltimore; two sons, William Canaday of Joppatowne and Llewellyn Canaday of Baltimore; three brothers, Charles Winstead, Cecil Winstead and Carlisle Winstead of Tidewater, Va.; a sister, Juanita Tabb of Tidewater; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
Mildred D. Botts
Worked at Treasury
Mildred D. Botts, who worked at the U.S. Department of the Treasury for 30 years, died Thursday at North Arundel Hospital from complications of a broken hip. She was 81.
A 37-year resident of Odenton, the former Mildred Smith was born and raised in Hot Springs, Va. She moved to Laurel after graduating from high school in Hot Springs.
el,.5l In 1942, Mrs. Botts went to work at the Treasury in the accounting department in Washington. When she retired in 1972, she was a department supervisor.
In 1932, she married John W. Botts, who survives her.
Services for Mrs. Botts were to be held at 10 a.m. today at the Hardesty Funeral Home, 851 Annapolis Road, in Gambrills.
Marilynn Ann Webster, who operated word processing businesses in Baltimore and Towson for the past 18 years, died of cancer Saturday at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center. She was 54.
Mrs. Webster, who lived in Fells Point for the past two years, was born in Highlandtown. She graduated from Patterson Park High School in 1957 and married Nicholas Walter Dieter. They had three children. Two of them, Laura Ann and Nicholas Richard, died of cystic fibrosis.
Mrs. Webster spent eight years raising money for the Cystic-Fibrosis Foundation. During this time, the Maryland Chapter of the Cystic-Fibrosis Foundation chose her as Mother of the Year.
In 1974, she started Marilynn Secretarial Service, in Baltimore. She opened Towson Wordprocessing six years later.
A memorial service was planned for 9 a.m. tomorrow at St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, 317 S. Broadway, Baltimore.
Mrs. Webster is survived by a daughter, Julia Ann Dieter of Gainesville, Fla.; two brothers, John Foehrkolb of Glen Burnie and Richard Foehrkolb of Highlandtown; two nieces and two nephews.
The family suggested donations to the Maryland Chapter of the Cystic-Fibrosis Foundation, 10616 Beaver Dam Road, Cockeysville 21030.
Thomas Crostic Jr.
Thomas H. Crostic Jr., electrician and supervisor of facilities for the Ruck funeral homes for the past 17 years, died Oct. 14 of cancer at the Stella Maris Hospice. He was 66.
Mr. Crostic of Harford Park in Baltimore County earlier worked for the Montebello Electric Co. and William C. Bloom & Co.
Born in Richmond, Va., and reared in Portsmouth, Va., he first visited relatives in Baltimore while in the Navy during World War II.
He was an usher and member of the Holy Name Society at St. Dominic's Roman Catholic Church in northeast Baltimore and a member of the Notre Dame Council and the Archbishop Francis P. Keough Assembly of the Fourth Degree of the Knights of Columbus.
A Mass was offered Oct. 18 at St. Dominic's.
Mr. Crostic is survived by his wife, the former Margaret Keimig; two sons, Thomas H. Crostic of Perry Hall and Joseph M. Crostic of Cockeysville; a sister, Mary C. Hillers of Chesapeake, Va.; two brothers, Robert M. Crostic of Suffolk, Va., and Walter E. Crostic of Melbourne, Fla.; and five grandchildren.
Millard P. Baer
Millard P. Baer, who worked at Bethlehem Steel for 42 years, died Friday of a massive heart attack at his Timonium home. He was 64.
Mr. Baer was a steel roller at Bethlehem Steel until his retirement in 1992.
He lived in Timonium for the past 17 years and lived in the Northwood section of Baltimore for the previous 21 years.
He was an avid hunter and fisherman.
Born in Keyser, W.Va., he grew up in Oakland, in Garrett County.
He was a U.S. Army artilleryman in Germany from 1951 to 1953 and moved to Baltimore after being discharged.
A Mass of Christian burial was scheduled at 10 a.m. today at St. Pius X Church, 6428 York Road.
Mr. Baer is survived by his wife, the former Elizabeth A. Griffith; a daughter, Colleen Patricia White of Rodgers Forge; his mother, Mary Baer of Roland Park; two sisters, Marlene Koch of Timonium and Jacqueline Chester of Arcadia, Calif.; and two grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial contributions to United Cerebral Palsy of Maryland.