The following are recent bankruptcy filings in U.S. District Court in Baltimore.
* Ann Marie Kern (t/a Captain's Home Improvements), 20011 Grave Run Road, Hampstead. Ms. Kern filed for Chapter 13. Assets: $212,000. Liabilities: $157,203.
* Mail & Packaging Depot Inc., 444 E. Belvedere Ave., Baltimore. Mailing and shipping service filed for Chapter 7. President: Debra J. Carter. No assets. Liabilities: $27,263.
* Michael Jack Smith and Nancy Kay Smith, 286 Paradise Road, Aberdeen. Principals in plumbing and heating business filed for Chapter 7. Assets: $100,980. Liabilities: $121,970.
* Prescription Drugs Inc., 717 E. Ordnance Road, Baltimore. Prescription benefits processing business filed for Chapter 7. Principal: William T. Allen. Assets and liabilities: Over $100,000.
* Robert James O'Bara and Mary Ramona O'Bara (Rainbow Equipment Co.), 10719 Sheldrake Drive, Chestertown. Principals in wholesale industrial equipment company filed for Chapter 7. Assets: $171,602. Liabilities: $319,121.
* Choice Land Inc. A Maryland Corp., 196 Pennsylvania Ave., Westminster. Real estate/development company filed for Chapter 11. Principals: Vernon H. Miller and William Ruff. Assets: $972,530. Liabilities: $540,000.
* Joseph M. Fabiszak, 12 Juxon Court, Baltimore. Certified public accountant and real estate agent filed for Chapter 7. Assets: $86,832. Liabilities: $568,803.
* Mark Wayne Garrettson, 527 St. Francis Road, Towson. Principal in construction business filed for Chapter 7. Assets: $3,480. Liabilities: $323,697.
* Todd Patrick Lewis Sr., 8807 Chesapeake Ave., Baltimore. Principal in retail/wholesale business filed for Chapter 7. Assets: $323,610. Liabilities: $1,050,077.
* Joseph D. Quillan, 3542 Churchville Road, Aberdeen. Principal in construction business filed for Chapter 13. Assets: $118,261. Liabilities: $96,000.
* Isam Farhat, 12424 Falls Road, Cockeysville; and Lisa M. Farhat, 8530 Water Oak Road, Baltimore. Principals in restaurant business filed for Chapter 13. Assets and liabilities: Under $50,000.
* Adrienne Barnes Stermer (t/a Cedar Grove Garden Center Inc.) 1015 Hudson Road, Cambridge. Ms. Stermer filed for Chapter 7. Assets: $153,263. Liabilities: $199,021.
* Seneca Custom Builders Inc., 300 Allegheny Ave., Towson. Custom homebuilder filed for Chapter 11. President: Guilford E. Hoff. Assets: $600,000. Liabilities: $750,000.
* America's Pastime Dundalk Inc., 1 Shipping Place, Dundalk. Sports center filed for Chapter 11. President: Jay Estabrook. Assets: $600,000. Liabilities: $217,000.
* John William Parsons, 202 E. Carroll St., Salisbury. Retailer of plants and flowers filed for Chapter 11. Assets: $583,100. Liabilities: $353,150.
* Ki Research Inc., 6760 Alexander Bell Drive, Columbia. Involuntary petition for Chapter 7 filed by White Rose Paper Co. for $5,141; Kenda Systems Inc. for $13,618; and Information Consultants Inc. for $2,600.
* The following are the most common types of filings under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
CHAPTER 7 -- Liquidation. A trustee is appointed to take charge of all the debtor's property, except for certain exceptions allowed in the law. The trustee will sell the remaining property for the benefit of creditors, and unless a creditor objects and is upheld by the court, the debt will be discharged.
CHAPTER 11 -- Reorganization. Available to all individuals or businesses, this chapter is primarily intended to allow an ongoing business to restructure its debt. A successful reorganization depends on filing a plan and obtaining its approval by creditors and the court.
CHAPTER 13 -- Adjustment of debts of an individual with regular income. This chapter provides a method for individual debtors to repay creditors, in full or in part, over a period of up to five years. It ordinarily involves less than $100,000 in unsecured debt and $350,000 in secured debt.
d/b/a (doing business as) or t/a (trading as): an assumed name a person uses for a business instead of the actual business name or one's personal name.