George Edward BondDrove for Yellow Cab Co.George...

George Edward Bond

Drove for Yellow Cab Co.


George Edward Bond, who retired from the Yellow Cab Co. after 50 years of service, died Oct. 14 of heart and respiratory failure as a result of complications of a stroke he suffered on July 29 at the Lorien Nursing Home in Columbia. He moved to the nursing home in 1993.

The 87-year-old former East Baltimore resident moved to Columbia in 1989 to live with a daughter. He was a Yellow Cab driver until 1975, when he became a Yellow Cab owner. He retired in 1982.


Born and reared in West Baltimore, he attended city schools, including the Polytechnic Institute. After leaving Poly, he began his career with the taxi company and was a member of Teamsters Local 355.

"[My father] loved to talk about his motorcycle and sidecar that he used to drive around in his younger years," said Mary Bond of Columbia.

Services were held Monday. Interment was in Loudon Park Cemetery.

Mr. Bond also is survived by his wife of 46 years, the former Marjorie M. Summers of Baltimore, who lives at the Lorien Nursing Home; two sons, George Hoover Bond of Annapolis and Thomas Bond of Owings Mills; a stepson, Paul Voigt of Essex; two other daughters, Marie McDonald of Baltimore and Audrey Minter of Towson; 12 grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial contributions may be made to the American Lung Association, 1840 York Road, Timonium, Md. 21093.

Evelyn R. Press, who worked at Hutzler's for 32 years, died Wednesday of heart failure at her home on North Payson Street in Baltimore.

Mrs. Press, 78, retired in 1975 as a children's clothing salesclerk at the Westview outlet of the department store chain. She began working at the Howard Street store in 1943 and was a food service supervisor before switching to clothes sales.

The former Evelyn Rebecca Milburn was a native of Baltimore and a graduate of Douglass High. She was a life member of the Liberty Medical Center and Provident Hospital auxiliaries and of the Voices of Provident.


She was a charter member of St. James United Methodist Church, where she belonged to the Golden Agers and the United Methodist Women and sang in the choir.

Services were set for 11 a.m. today at St. James, Lexington and Monroe streets, Baltimore.

She is survived by her husband of nearly 60 years, Jerome W. Press; a son, Douglass M. Press of Baltimore; three sisters, Hortense Mason and Eunice Tyler of Baltimore and Constance Bowen of Pumphrey; and two grandchildren.