Junior forward Corey Popham scored a goal and had an assist as unranked Gilman upset No. 1 Calvert Hall, 3-2, in a Maryland Scholastic Association Armstrong A Conference Division I boys soccer game yesterday at Gilman.
It was the first loss in 45 MSA A Conference games for the Cardinals (10-1-1), dating to 1989. Calvert Hall, which has won three consecutive MSA A Conference titles and seven of the past eight, defeated Gilman (5-6-1, 4-5-1) earlier this season, 6-0.
"We just don't like playing on a wet field it seems," said Calvert Hall coach Bill Karpovich. "We have the right shoes, but we don't play well. Hopefully, we'll have sunny days for the rest of the season."
* Towson Catholic 4, Beth Tfiloh 2: Ed Yodris scored three goals to lead Towson Catholic (5-6, 2-6) past Beth Tfiloh (5-5-1, 3-4-1) in an MSA Armstrong B Conference game. Sean Skalski also scored for the winners.
* Hammond 4, Wilde Lake 3: Tucker Peterson scored two goals to lead Hammond (4-4-1, 2-2) past Wilde Lake (4-4-1, 2-2) in a Howard County League game. Jabari Richardson and Adam Eastridge also scored for Hammond.
* Glenelg 1, Howard 0: Tom Hobbs scored off an assist from Tony Marchegiano as Glenelg (5-4, 3-1) defeated Howard (3-4, 2-2) in a Howard County League game.
* Hammond 4, Wilde Lake 2: Ashley Decker's goal in the 15th minute of the second half lifted No. 3 Hammond (8-1, 4-0) past visiting No. 13 Wilde Lake (5-2-1, 3-1) in a battle for first place in the Howard County League.
Decker took a lead pass from Emily Bielefeld (one goal, one assist) and punched the ball high over onrushing Wilde Lake goalie Leah Angle (13 saves) and into the net for the 3-2 lead. Kisha Jett added an insurance goal in the final minute.
* Centennial 4, Atholton 0: Kelly Garrity, Sarah Bartholomew, Michelle Claire and Allison Bielski scored as No. 9 Centennial (4-2-2, 1-2-1) beat Atholton in a Howard County League game.