Unbeaten, No. 8 Towson falls to Hereford, 2-0 Boys soccer


For visiting Hereford, getting outshot, 29-10, didn't matter. Nor did coming within several eyelashes of giving up a half-dozen goals.

That No. 8 Towson outplayed the unranked Bulls in most aspects of yesterday's Baltimore County 1A-2A League game was of little importance to Hereford coach John Mackert or his players.

They scored a 2-0 upset win over the previously unbeaten Generals in a game Mackert said his team had waited for all season.

John Wingeart scored off a throw-in by Matt Saunders, and Paul Diangelo put in a penalty kick for the Bulls.

The game featured end-to-end offense, and Towson kept Hereford on the ropes for much of the way. But the Generals (7-1, 7-1) never could deliver the knockout blow.

"We knew they had a great team and that we couldn't keep up with them at midfield," said Mackert. "What we tried to do was get the ball down to their end and score off set plays."

His team did it perfectly.

After Towson failed to connect on several good scoring opportunities -- the best coming from forward Chi-Chi Giraldo, whose short attempt rolled inches wide left -- Hereford took a 1-0 lead off set play No. 1.

From the near corner, Saunders sent a high, arching throw toward the foot of Wingeart in the middle, and he beat goalie Jon Vaupel to his right with 3:37 to go before halftime.

The Bulls (7-2-1, 6-1) extended their lead 6:26 into the second half, when Diangelo's penalty kick beat Vaupel to his right.

Towson, meanwhile, wasn't getting the bounces.

"It just wasn't our day," said Towson coach Randy Dase. "When you have the ball roll across the goal mouth five or six times and not have it go in, you know you should've stayed in bed."

The Generals outshot the Bulls 17-4 in the second half. Giraldo had one of the best chances, sending a 15-yard bullet just over the crossbar early in the half.

Minutes later, Hereford back Devin Hoeckel turned in the defensive play of the game. With goalie Mike Bailey out of the play, Hoeckel raced to the box and kick-saved a hard shot from in front, and the Bulls cleared the ball.

After a game full of frustrations, what's a coach to say?

"I said: 'Gentlemen, you played an excellent soccer game. You dominated for 80 minutes. Shake it off and move on,' " said Dase. "I feel fine about this one. It's just the nature of the game."

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad