Police officer charged in rape Female victim is also a member of city force

A 26-year-old Baltimore police officer was suspended without pay yesterday while he awaits trial for the alleged rape of another city police officer, authorities said.

Officer Andrew Mays, who has been on the force for four months, was charged with second-degree rape in the assault on a 28-year-old female officer at her Overlea home on Thursday, Baltimore County police said.


Officer Mays, a Northern District officer who was off-duty at the time, went to the female officer's home about 1 a.m. to visit her, county police said.

The two had previously dated, but the relationship had ended, a source said.


"According to her, he was there at the home until 4 a.m. during which time he raped her," said E. Jay Miller, a county police spokesman.

The female officer reported the incident to a superior officer the following day. County police were then notified of the alleged assault, Mr. Miller said.

Officer Mays was arrested about 1 a.m. Saturday at his home in the 5600 block of Leiden Road in the Rosedale area and charged with second-degree rape, county police said. He was released on $25,000 bail later that morning.

Agent Doug Price, a city police spokesman, said Officer Mays was suspended without pay at a departmental hearing yesterday.

Since she reported the incident, the female officer has been on medical leave, Agent Price said.

Officer Mays is another in a series of city officers charged with felonies this year.

In January, Sgt. James A. Kulbicki, 36, a nine-year veteran, was charged with first-degree murder in the death of his former girlfriend. He is on trial in Baltimore County Circuit Court.

In May, Wade Hampton Taylor, 36, a 15-year veteran who is no longer on the force, was charged with robbing a Westminster bank in 1991, while he was assigned as a robbery investigator. He was later indicted and is awaiting trial.


On Sept. 8, Officer Alan S. Johnson Jr., 28, a four-year veteran, was arrested in a sting operation while allegedly extorting $3,000 in protection money from a drug dealer. He is suspended from duty and is also awaiting trial.