Boy shot at Morgan State witness captures suspect 14-year-old wounded at football game

A 14-year-old boy was shot in the head and the left side during a fight that broke out amid hundreds of people preparing to attend Morgan State University's homecoming football game yesterday.

Police said the shooting sparked a frantic scramble for safety near the university's Talmadge Hill Field House that left one unidentified child slightly injured. The child was treated at the scene.


A male spectator who witnessed the shooting at the Northeast Baltimore college chased down a suspect and held him until police arrived.

Another witness, Rachel Vlasick, 20, a Morgan State junior who was walking to the stadium when several shots rang out, said later: "It makes me sick.


"This is the first time I've ever seen a person put a gun to someone's head and shoot," she said.

The victim, Kenta Blandon, of the 1800 block of Woodbourne Ave., was flown by State Police MedEvac helicopter to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he underwent surgery and was listed in serious condition last night.

Police said the boy suffered a graze wound to the left side of his head and a bullet wound to his left side. Family members reached at the hospital would not comment.

"We regret that an incident occurred," said Fred Douglass, a Morgan State spokesman, who was unaware of the shooting until he was contacted by a reporter. "This is a most unusual occurrence."

Witnesses said three men knocked the victim down without warning and started beating and kicking him about 2:30 p.m. The boy got up and fired a shot into the air from a .38-caliber pistol.

One of the men then pulled out a handgun and shot at the youth's head, police said. The boy fell to the ground, then the man fired several more times, hitting him in his left side, authorities said.

Sam Ringgold, the Baltimore Police Department's chief spokesman, said he was in the field house buying tickets for the football game against North Carolina A&T; when he heard two or three shots.

"I looked outside and saw people running away from the field," he said.


A spectator whose identity was not disclosed last night, but who police said lives in North Carolina, captured the suspect in the field and held him until police arrived.

Douglas Holmes, 20, of the 4600 block of Marble Hall Road, was charged with attempted murder and a handgun violation. He is not a student at Morgan State.

Mr. Ringgold said detectives were trying to determine last night what sparked the dispute, interviewing a dozen witnesses at police headquarters.

"It was just some type of argument," the spokesman said. "That's all they have got on it."

He said the victim had the pistol stuffed in a pants pocket when he was shot. Police said they recovered a .357-caliber Magnum from the suspect.

Ursula Bishop, 18, a witness, said the wounded boy was shoved to the ground from behind by three men.


"The kid didn't see it coming," she said.

The shooting began as several high-school bands were competing, witnesses said. "The next thing you know, the three boys came from nowhere and started to beat [Kenta]," Ms. Bishop said. "They kicked him in the head and the chest."

Ms. Bishop said Kenta's friends came over to help when one of the suspects took out a gun and shot the youth on the ground.

"He couldn't get up," she said. "He couldn't go anywhere. He didn't even know it was coming.

"It scared the life out of me," said Ms. Bishop, who added that her 19-month-old son, Eddie DaVante Scott, was knocked over in his carriage when the crowd retreated.

"It doesn't make any sense when you beat someone and then turn around and shoot him."