Katherine B. StewartMuseum stafferKatherine Baden Stewart, a...


Katherine B. Stewart

Museum staffer

Katherine Baden Stewart, a retired staff member and volunteer at the Baltimore Museum of Art, died of pneumonia Sunday t Union Memorial Hospital.

The 85-year-old former Roland Park Place resident began her 1990 career in 1952 as secretary to museum director Adelyn Breeskin and continued under her successor, Charles Parkhurst.

After retiring in 1970, she became a volunteer in the museum's paper conservation laboratory, which she was instrumental in establishing. Pictures, manuscripts and prints from the collection are mended and restored in the lab, and the work entails precise dexterity and the use of a microscope.

"She did general preservation work, and we shared projects together," said Kim Schenck, an associate paper conservator. "She loved her books and treated them like her own personal children. The museum was her first love. She was a wonderful story-teller and was a fastidious tea drinker. She was one of the most charming people I've ever met."

Born in Croom, Prince George's County, she earned a B.A. degree in 1930 from Mount Holyoke College.

After graduation, she worked for the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In 1941, she married John L. Stewart, who was a State Department official. She accompanied him on diplomatic postings in Denmark and Paris. After his death in 1950, she returned to Maryland. The couple had a son who died in 1945.

Mrs. Stewart was a fellow of the American Institute for Conservation, a member of the International Institute for Conservation and, for many years, a member of the museum's Print and Drawing Society.

A memorial service was held yesterday in the Meyerhoff Auditorium of the Baltimore Museum of Art.

Mrs. Stewart is survived by a sister, Dorothy B. Elliott of Sarasota, Fla., and a nephew, Geoffrey E. Stamm of Washington.

The family suggested contributions may be made to the Baltimore Museum of Art, Department of Prints, Drawings and Photographs, Art Museum Drive, Baltimore 21218.

James R. Daniel

Founded 2 companies

James R. Daniel, a manufacturer's representative for Imagitron Sales Co. in Manchester, died Tuesday of a heart attack at Burdette Tomlin Memorial Hospital in Cape May Court House, N.J.

The former Lutherville resident, who lived in Avalon, N.J., was 65.

He had been with the Carroll company, which represents manufacturers of electronic components, since 1982. In 1959, he founded J. R. Daniel & Co. and Technico Inc. He was president of the companies until they were purchased by Allied Control of Connecticut in 1975.

The Glenside, Pa., native attended public schools and was a 1947 graduate of Abington Senior High School. He also attended Temple University in Philadelphia.

"He attempted to enlist in the Navy but was discharged when it was discovered that he was 17 years old and underage, so they sent him home," said his wife, the former Jeanette Gayle Clapp, whom he married in 1971.

He served in the Army in the Korean War as a military policeman and was discharged with the rank of corporal in 1957. He also served in the New Jersey National Guard.

He was a member of the Wildwood, N.J., Golf and Country Club.

Active in veterans affairs, he was a past commander of the Stephen C. Ludlum Post No. 331 of the American Legion in Stone Harbor, N.J., and belonged to the 200 Club of Cape May and Atlantic Counties, which raises money for families of firefighters, police officers and ambulance drivers killed while on duty.

Services will be at 11 a.m. Monday in the chapel at Dulaney Valley Memorial Gardens, 200 E. Padonia Road, Timonium. Services also were conducted Friday in Stone Harbor.

He also is survived by a son, Dr. James G. Daniel of Salisbury; two daughters, Barbara Long of Hampstead and Nancy Tsottles of Timonium; his parents, James C. and Mary R. Daniel of Willow Grove, Pa.; and four grandchildren.

Memorial contributions may be made to the 200 Club of Cape May and Atlantic Counties, P.O. Box 622, Northfield, N.J. 08225.

Ruth R. Riley

Baltimore native

Ruth Ruppersberger Riley, who worked for several educational institutions, died Tuesday of cancer at a hospital in Hershey, Pa.

The 75-year-old Annville for the last 22 years was a former president of the Lebanon County Federation of Woman's Clubs and the Lebanon Valley College Auxiliary. She also was active in the League of Women Voters, the Council of the Arts and other groups in the area.

The Baltimore native was a graduate of Forest Park High and of Lebanon Valley College in Annville.

Before moving to Annville, she did secretarial work for the Maryland Department of Education, the Educational Testing Service in Princeton, N.J., and Princeton University. She also ran residence programs at Valparaiso University in Indiana and at Lebanon Valley College.

Her husband, Robert R. Riley, is a retired vice president and controller of Lebanon Valley College.

Services were held yesterday in the Miller Chapel at the college.

In addition to her husband, she is survived by a daughter, Leanne Mazade of Houston; two brothers, C. Albert Ruppersberger of Riderwood and G. Alvey Ruppersberger of Myersville; a sister, Ellen Silvers of Washington; two grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Rose Jackson Gallop

Baltimore principal

Rose Jackson Gallop, 65, a retired principal in the Baltimore public schools, died Wednesday at her home on Simmonds Avenue of complications of a stroke.

She retired in 1988 as principal of Arlington Elementary School after about 30 years in the school system. She had previous assignments at Spring Hill, Liberty, Elmer A. Henderson and Bentalou elementaries.

The former Rose Jackson was a native of Clover, S.C., and a graduate of Claflin College in Orangeburg, S.C, and Coppin State College. She earned a master's degree from Loyola College.

At St. Cecelia's Roman Catholic Church, she had been president of the Parish Council, and was a member of the Omni Choir, the Ladies of Charity and the Ladies Guild.

She was Eastern regional parliamentarian for the National Sorority of Phi Delta Kappa and twice had headed the local Gamma Chapter of the honorary educational organization. She was honorary worthy matron of the Electa Chapter of the Myra Grand Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 10 a.m today at St. Cecelia's, Windsor Avenue and Hilton Street, Baltimore.

She is survived by her husband, Elvin Gallop; two daughters, Valencia McLeod of Baltimore and Kimberly McLeod of Rockville; two brothers, the Rev. Stellie J. Jackson of Clover and the Rev. John L. Jackson of Charlotte, N.C.; and three sisters, Mildred Sadler of Gastonia, N.C., Cynthia Hicks of Anderson, S.C., and Sarah McKinney of North Hills, Pa.

Calvin B. Quill

Retired federal worker

Calvin B. Quill, a retired electrician for the federal government, died Monday of kidney failure at North Arundel Hospital.

The 67-year-old Southwest Baltimore resident retired in 1982 after 33 years as an electrician with the General Services Administration.

He was the founder and current president of the St. Joseph's Improvement Association and was a campaigner for projects and improvements in the community, including the drug treatment program at the old St. Joseph's Passionist Monastery. He helped establish a counseling program for youths at the old School 91 and to have the Sarah M. Roche Elementary School named for the woman who became ill before she could take her post as its first principal. He was active in youth programs at Roche Elementary and at Southwestern High School.

The Baltimore native served in the Army in World War II and earned the Purple Heart and other decorations while serving in the Pacific Theater. He was a charter member of the Thomas McLloyd Memorial Post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered yesterday at St. Joseph's Passionist Monastery Church in Baltimore.

He is survived by his wife of 33 years, the former Helen Hawkins; two sons, Rodney and Calvin Quill Jr. of Baltimore; three brothers, Ellis A. Boston of Ellicott City and Richard JTC Crowe-Chapell and Dennis Crowe of Baltimore; and a sister, Juanita Brown of Baltimore.

John F. Driscoll Jr.

AP photo transmitter

John F. Driscoll Jr., 68, a retired Associated Press photo transmitter, died Monday of cancer at the University of Maryland Cancer Center.

He started in AP's Washington Bureau as a wire photo operator in 1941 after working briefly as a copy person for The Sun when the newspaper's offices were in the Sun Square building at Baltimore and Charles streets.

He transmitted photos from such events as Sen. Robert F. Kennedy's funeral in 1968, the Watergate hearings in 1973 and the Democratic and Republican national conventions for many years. He retired in 1990.

The Northeast Baltimore native was a 1939 graduate of St. Andrew's parochial school and attended Baltimore Polytechnic Institute until 1941. He was a paratrooper in the 81st Airborne Division from 1952 to 1954 at Fort Bragg, N.C.

"He jumped out of planes but wouldn't climb a ladder," his sister, Joan Stephenson, remembered.

He was a member of the Overlea-Perry Hall American Legion Post No. 130 and the Friendly Sons of Ireland.

"He always said he was a 100 percent Irishman," his sister said. "He even lived on Shamrock Avenue."

He married Clara E. Edmonds in 1952. She died in 1990.

Services were yesterday at Baltimore's Schimunek Funeral Home.

In addition to his sister, he is survived by two sons, Thomas P. Driscoll and David A. Driscoll; a daughter, Teresa L. Eckels; and two grandchildren. All are of Baltimore.

Gordon Saunders Jr.

Retired sergeant major

Retired Army Command Sgt. Maj. Gordon L. Saunders Jr., who was a Baltimore County police officer briefly, died Monday at a hospital in Laurel of complications to a stroke.

The 72-year-old Baltimore native retired from the Army in 1972 and raised horses and cattle on a farm in Unity, Miss. He was visiting a son in Bowie when he became ill.

He graduated from Catonsville High School. He joined the Canadian army in 1940 and was serving in the 1st Hussars in England when Pearl Harbor was bombed. He switched to the U.S. Army after U.S. troops began to arrive in England.

In 1945, he left the Army and joined the Baltimore County police force but returned to the Army the next year. He served in the Korean War and had three tours of duty in Vietnam. His decorations include five Bronze Stars, two Purple Hearts, two awards of the Combat Infantry Badge, the Soldier's Medal, five commendations and other U.S., British and Canadian honors. He was a life member of the Disabled American Veterans, National Association for the Uniformed Services, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, and other veterans groups.

Services were held yesterday at Beall-Evans Funeral Home, Bowie.

He is survived by his son, Gordon L. Saunders III of Bowie, and five grandchildren.

J. F. Warczynski Jr.

Air Force employee

Joseph F. Warczynski Jr., a retired civilian Air Force security specialist, died Monday at Franklin Square Hospital after a heart attack.

The 71-year-old Perry Hall resident retired two decades ago after working at Andrews Air Force Base for 15 years. He did similar work earlier at the Army's Edgewood Arsenal.

The Baltimore native and Mount St. Joseph High School graduate earned a law degree from the University of Baltimore.

He served in the Army in the Aleutians in World War II and retired from the Army Reserve as a major in the Quartermaster Corps in 1961.

A former commander of the Overlea Post of the American Legion, he was a member of the Sigma Delta Kappa legal fraternity and the Father Burggraff Council of the Knights of Columbus. He was also a volunteer at the Beans and Bread soup kitchen in Baltimore.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered yesterday at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church in Fullerton.

Mr. Warczynski is survived by his wife, the former Doris A. Paulus; four daughters, Joyce Bowser of Buford, Ga., Jaclyn Mueller of Fallston, Janice Warczynski of Perry Hall and Doris Zografos of Glen Arm; two sons, Joseph F. Warczynski III of Madonna and Keith G. Warczynski of Perry Hall; two sisters, Alvina Klijanowicz of Baltimore and Katherine Rogers of Onancock, Va.; a brother, Theodore Warczynski of Nassawadox, Va.; and 10 grandchildren.

G. Marie Biggs

Arundel principal

G. Marie Biggs, a retired Anne Arundel County elementary school principal, died Tuesday at the Northwest Hospital Center of complications to a broken hip.

Miss Biggs, 94, lived in the Fairhaven retirement community in Sykesville since 1980. She retired in 1959 as principal of Jessup Elementary School. Earlier, she was principal of Odenton Elementary School. She began her teaching career in the 1920s at a one-room school in Annapolis Junction.

The Jessup native was a graduate of Laurel High School and of what is now Towson State 1959 University. She earned a bachelor's degree at the University of Maryland.

She was a member of the National Education Association, the Maryland Congress of Parents and Teachers and state and national organizations for retired teachers.

In retirement, she wrote and published a genealogical book that traced her family back to William the Conqueror, and two booklets -- the first, in 1977, a history of Jessup since the early 1700s, and the second, in 1992, a reminiscence of her childhood and early days in teaching titled, "A Light Look Back."

She was a member of the Woman's Club of Jessup and the Society of Magna Carta Dames. She was a Sunday school teacher at Trinity Episcopal Church in Elkridge, where services were conducted yesterday.

Her survivors include a sister, Elizabeth B. Wetzel of Ellicott City, and many nieces and nephews.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad