Tests show victim's blood on officer's jacket Baltimore police sergeant on trial in ex-girlfriend's slaying


A Maryland State Police technician told a Baltimore County jury yesterday that DNA testing linked the blood on a city police sergeant's jacket sleeve to the blood of a young woman the officer is accused of killing.

Linda Watson, a forensic serologist, said she matched five areas of the genetic material to a sample from Gina Marie Nueslein's body -- against odds of one in 7 million.

She also said the blood was not Sgt. James A. Kulbicki's, who is on trial for first-degree murder and use of a handgun. Sergeant Kulbicki, 37, of the 3400 block of Toone St., is on suspension without pay.

Ms. Nueslein, 22, had dated the sergeant, who is married, for about three years, and had sued him for child support for her son Michael, now 2 years old.

Witnesses from two genetic testing laboratories said their tests found a 99.8 percent probability that Sergeant Kulbicki was the boy's father. Last October, a city prosecutor told Sergeant Kulbicki that if the second test was positive, he should bring a lump-sum payment of more than $3,000 to a Baltimore Circuit Court hearing, scheduled for Jan. 13.

On Jan. 9, at 3:30 p.m., Ms. Nueslein left her home in the 3300 block of Ramona Ave. and walked to her job at the Royal Farm store on Bowley's Lane, a half-mile away.

A park employee found her body the next morning at the end of Grace's Quarter Road in Gunpowder Falls State Park.

Assistant Medical Examiner James Locke said a large-caliber gun had been placed directly against her head and fired.

She died within minutes, with the bullet breaking up inside her skull, he said.

Defense attorney Henry L. Belsky has said his client may be guilty of adultery but is innocent of murder. He also has promised a "minute-by-minute" alibi.

Also yesterday, Estella Blaylock, whom Ms. Nueslein was supposed to relieve at the Royal Farm store, said she called Ms. Nueslein's house and learned the young woman had left for work.

"She was always prompt," said Ms. Blaylock.

Ms. Blaylock also said that on the previous day, Ms. Nueslein arrived at work in a pickup truck and had a slap mark, "three fingerprints across the side of her face."

Witnesses testified Wednesday that they saw Sergeant Kulbicki's truck at the store and at the family's home that night. Ms. Nueslein had been seeing another city officer at the time.

Other testimony yesterday focused on the sergeant's 1988 Ford pickup truck.

Pieces of the truck, including the driver's inside door panel, the back window molding, the front seat and the seat belts covered half of the courtroom floor.

Detective Patrick B. Kamberger said "the outside of the truck was dirty . . . but inside, when it was opened up, was the smell of a household cleaner."

Ultraviolet light revealed a few bloodstains, he said. When police took the truck apart, they found more spots of blood. They also found bullet fragments, a piece of shattered plastic molding and a dent in the window glass.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad