If you don't have your Friday night plans solidified yet, start making calls. TV isn't offering any compelling reason to stay home -- or, at least, to turn on the television set.
* "The Adventures of Brisco County Jr." (8-9 p.m., WBFF, Channel 45) -- Well, OK, maybe one, because I have a weakness for this oddball Western series. Tonight's episode features a return appearance by R. Lee Ermey as tough-guy lawman Brisco County Sr. -- which is quite a trick, since he died in the premiere episode. This week, he teams up with his son (Bruce Campbell) to fight bad guy John Bly (Billy Drago), thereby giving the younger lawman a ghost of a chance. Fox.
* "The Secrets of Lake Success" (9-11 p.m., WMAR, Channel 2) -- This dull miniseries runs from hither to yawn, exposing lots of lush scenery, hanging out in opulent mansions, and giving a lot of known and unknown actors, including Valerie Perrine and Rebeccah Bush, absolutely nothing interesting to do. NBC.
* "The Man From Left Field" (9-11 p.m., WBAL, Channel 11) -- Earlier this year, CBS went to Burt Reynolds and signed the "Evening Shade" star to co-produce, direct and star in a baseball-oriented telemovie to run between the network's coverage of the playoffs and the World Series.
The result is tonight's "The Man From Left Field," and the programming move made good sense -- until, from out of left field, came the very public and bitter separation of Reynolds and Loni Anderson. Now the movie has that emotional baggage to contend with, as well as the concern that parts of this drama, marketed incorrectly by CBS as a "Field of Dreams"-type fantasy family film, are unexpectedly dark and violent. Reynolds gives himself some hefty dramatic scenes (at least one too many, if you count the climactic monologue), and actually looks better as his scraggly "before" mystery man (long hair,
two-toned beard, sour expression) than as his "after" cleaned-up father figure. Reba McEntire co-stars. CBS.
* "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" (8-10:15 p.m., SHO) -- If you're interested, watch this movie tonight, then keep tuned to Showtime (see below).
* "The Beverly Hillbillies marathon" (8:05 p.m.-6 a.m., TBS) -- Come listen to a story 'bout a man named Jed -- and another story, and another story, and another . . . 20 episodes in all, all setting up the release of the new theatrical version.
* "T2: More Than Meets the Eye" (10:15-10:40 p.m., SHO) -- Special effects and complete scenes cut from "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" are presented in this special, for those who don't have access to the same supplementary material on videodisc.
* "World Series Preview" (10:30-11 p.m., ESPN) -- Getting a day's jump on network coverage, here's the ESPN setup for tomorrow night's first game between the Toronto Blue Jays and Philadelphia Phillies.