Raymond Quigley Jr.
Raymond F. Quigley Jr., a history PHOTOprofessor and chairman of the Humanities Department at Catonsville Community College, died Sunday of AIDS at a Hyattsville nursing home.
The Washington native, 56, attended Blair High School in Silver Spring. He most recently lived in the Adams-Morgan area in Washington.
He received a bachelor's degree in history from the University of Maryland at College Park in 1959 and entered the Navy. After officer candidate school in Newport, R.I., he joined Naval intelligence and served in Europe and Asia. He left active duty in 1965 and remained in the Naval Reserve until 1979, when he retired with the rank of commander.
He received a master's degree in history from the University of California at Los Angeles in 1967 and began his teaching career in 1968 at Wroxeter Academy in Severna Park, now closed. He also taught for a short time at the Landon School in Bethesda. Mr. Quigley joined the history faculty at Catonsville Community College in 1970, where he specialized in Renaissance history and contemporary issues in Arab countries. He became the chairman of the Humanities Department in 1985 and was named the college's Outstanding Teacher in 1986.
During a 1989 sabbatical, he spent several weeks as a visiting professor in East Berlin, just months before the Berlin Wall fell.
A frequent traveler, he spent almost every summer abroad. He frequently visited Europe and Asia, and his favorite destination was Italy. Mr. Quigley was also an avid sportsman who ran marathons, competed in tennis and squash, and was a tournament badminton player.
A memorial service was set for 1 p.m. today at the chapel of Gate of Heaven Cemetery, 13801 Georgia Ave., Silver Spring.
He is survived by a brother, Dennis S. Quigley of Annapolis; two sisters, Patricia Q. Turner of Vienna, Va., and Jacqueline Q. Inman of Ashton; and numerous nieces and nephews.
The family said memorial contributions may be made to the Ray Quigley Scholarship Fund at Catonsville Community College, 800 S. Rolling Road, Catonsville, Md. 21228. Barbara Gertrude Cowley, who had worked for Maryland Cup Co. and as a school custodian, died Sunday at a hospital in Lakeland, Fla., after a heart attack.
Mrs. Cowley, 63, moved to Lakeland five years ago after living in Pasadena and Frederick.
In the 1970s, she worked in the packaging department of Maryland Cup and as a custodian at Bayview Middle School in Anne Arundel County. The former Barbara Gertrude Newton was a native of New York City who moved to the Baltimore area as a young woman.
Services were set for 11 a.m. today at the Lakeland Funeral Home.
She is survived by her husband, Edgar S. Cowley Sr.; four sons, Edgar S. Cowley Jr. of Ocean City, Charles Cowley of Frederick, David Cowley of Zephyr Hills, Fla., and William Eugene Baker of Baltimore; two daughters, Alice Cowley and Marilyn Schauffle, both of Frederick; two sisters, Marilyn Buckner of Meryville, Tenn., and Muriel Hessler of Hollywood, Fla.; and 11 grandchildren.
Henry P. Walters
Pocomoke City lawyer
Henry P. Walters, who practiced law in Pocomoke City for 55 years, died Monday of liver failure at the Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury.
Mr. Walters, 79, began his practice in 1938.
He was born in Pocomoke City and lived there all his life. He graduated from Pocomoke City High School and attended Randolph Macon Military Academy before completing his education at Washington and Lee University, where he earned a bachelor's degree and a law degree.
At the university, he joined the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity.
He represented Worcester County as a Democrat in the House of Delegates from 1941 to 1945. He was the lawyer for the county treasurer for 24 years and the Pocomoke City attorney for 16 years.
Mr. Walters was a member of the Worcester County Bar Association, the Maryland State Bar Association and the American Bar Association and a life member of the Virginia Bar Association. He was a trustee of St. Mary's College in St. Mary's City and a member of Bethany United Methodist Church and the Elks Lodge in Pocomoke City.
Graveside services were set for 2 p.m. today in the Pitts Creek Presbyterian Cemetery in Pocomoke City.
He is survived by his wife, the former Alice Evans; a niece and a nephew.
Charles A. Speas
Charles A. Speas, retired vice president for research and development at a Baltimore company that makes plastic industrial containers, died Saturday at Manor Care Towson Nursing and Rehabilitation Center of complications to Parkinson's disease.
The 74-year-old Cockeysville resident earlier lived for many years in Hampton. He retired in 1984 after 30 years with Hedwin Corp.
He held many patents in the plastic container field and was a former head of the International Relations Committee of the Society of the Plastics Industry and a member of the Society of Plastics Engineers.
A native of Hickory, N.C., who was reared in Winston-Salem, he was a 1942 graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he was a member of the Phi Beta Epsilon fraternity and of the Tau Beta Pi Association, an engineering honorary society.
In World War II, he was an officer in the 7th Armored Division, which fought in France and in the Battle of the Bulge. He then taught applied mechanics at a school the Army set up for troops in Biarritz, France.
Before coming to Baltimore in 1954, he worked for industrial firms in Durham, N.C., and in Boston.
He twice served as president of the MIT Club of Baltimore and also headed its Educational Council, which interviewed prospective students in the area. He was awarded the MIT Alumni Association's highest honor, the Bronze Beaver.
In 30 years at the Towson Presbyterian Church, he was deacon, elder, Sunday school teacher and chairman of the Every Member Canvass, a fund-raising drive.
A memorial service was set for 4 p.m. today at Towson Presbyterian Church, Chesapeake and Highland avenues.
He is survived by his wife of 47 years, the former Elizabeth Towers; three daughters, Nancy E. Speas of Northfield, Mass., Margaret J. Speas of Amherst, Mass., and Katherine J. Speas of Chapel Hill, N.C.; and two brothers, R. Dixon Speas of Tucson, Ariz., and Thomas P. Speas of Winston-Salem.
The family said contributions may be made to the American Parkinson's Disease Association.