James R. Hoopper Jr., 80, a retired...


James R. Hoopper Jr., 80, a retired railroad conductor, died Saturday of emphysema at Florida Hospital-South in Orlando. During a 40-year career as a freight conductor for the Pennsylvania Railroad, he worked coal trains out of the carrier's Bayview Yard and Orangeville roundhouse in East Baltimore to such destinations as Chalk Point, and on switching runs that navigated the narrow Belgian block streets of Fells Point. He retired in 1979 and moved to Chuluota, Fla., where he owned and operated an orange grove until the freeze of 1983 put him out of business. The Govans native was reared in the old family home on Beaumont Avenue and attended city public schools. He left high school before graduating and opened a fish market on York Road in Govans. He married the former Margaret H. Craig of Baltimore in 1940. She died in 1989. Services were scheduled for 11 a.m. today at the First Baptist Church of Chuluota where he was a member, with interment in Chuluota Cemetery.

Roy T. Shiflet Sr., 76, a retired security officer at Westinghouse Electric Corp. and a former Anne Arundel County deputy sheriff, died Saturday of cancer at his home in Arnold. He lived in Zephyr Hills, Fla., for a time in the late 1980s. He retired in 1979 after 18 years at the Westinghouse Oceanic Division near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. He was a deputy sheriff from 1965 until 1976. Born in Charlottesville, Va., he came to Baltimore with his family as a child and attended public schools. He served in the Marine Corps during World War II, then was a painter for Henry A. Knott Inc., a contractor, and for Frank C. Long Sons, a decorating firm. He was a life member of American Legion Post 40 in Glen Burnie and a former commander of the Severn Post, and a life and charter member of the Glen Burnie Lodge of the Elks. While in Florida, he became a member of the Zephyr Hills Lodge of the Moose. He was also a member of the Millington Lodge of the Masons, the York Rite and Boumi Temple. Services were set for 10:30 a.m. today at the Singleton Funeral Home, 1 Second Ave. S.W., Glen Burnie.

Hugh M. Foresman, a retired captain in the Baltimore Fire Department and a life master at bridge, died Sunday at Mercy Medical Center of complications from injuries received in a fall two weeks earlier. Mr. Foresman, 87, had lived in Northwest Baltimore before moving to the Charlestown Retirement Community six years ago. He joined the Fire Department in 1934 and retired in 1971. During his career, he received three commendations for rescuing people from fires. Born in Williamsport, Pa., he attended what is now the Pennsylvania State University before coming to Baltimore in 1930. During retirement, he worked 4,500 hours as a volunteer in the emergency room at Sinai Hospital and also was a volunteer for Meals on Wheels. He was a life master duplicate bridge player and a former president of the Maryland Bridge Association. His wife, the former Maryann Bubb, died in 1991. Services were set for noon today at the Hubbard Funeral Home, 4107 Wilkens Ave., just outside Baltimore.

Charles F. MacDonald Jr., a retired Washington police officer, will be remembered at services at 12:30 p.m. tomorrow at the Wesley Grove United Methodist Church, 1320 Dorsey Road, Harmans. He died Saturday after his bicycle collided with a car near Salisbury while he was riding in the Sea Gull Century tour. The 52-year-old Severn resident retired in 1985 after 20 years as a D.C. officer. Earlier, the Bay City, Texas, native served for three years in the Army. About five years ago, he began bike riding seriously and had participated in other tours such as the Bay to Bay, also on the Eastern Shore. He had hoped to make longer rides, and eventually ride across the country, said to his wife of 26 years, the former Shirley I. Reed.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad