Dunbar lifts Liberty to 3-2 win Boys soccer


Senior midfielder Jason Dunbar scored with a little more than 10 minutes remaining in the second half to give Liberty a 3-2 win over visiting North Carroll last night.

The goal, Dunbar's county-leading eighth of the season, helped the Lions improve to 8-0 on the season and 3-0 in county play.

Dunbar found himself alone 25 yards out and fired a shot to the opposite post that found the left corner.

"I didn't think it was going in when I first hit it," he said. "I thought it was going wide, but it skimmed off the left post. We played well the first 10 minutes and the last 10 minutes and the rest was just ugly. They're the hardest kind of team to play because you don't know what to really expect from them."

The host Lions got two goals from Mike Sheehan within three minutes early on and looked as if they would run away and hide.

Eight minutes into the game, Sheehan got behind the Panthers' defense and neatly tucked a shot behind goalkeeper Darren Martin low to the left side. Dunbar had threaded a pair of defenders to free Sheehan in the middle.

Moments later, the North Carroll defense had a lapse and Sheehan was there. Liberty's Mark Ozgar got around the left corner and sent a short cross that a North Carroll defender and Martin failed to clear. Sheehan got just enough on it to give the Lions a two-goal lead.

Did Liberty coach Lee Kestler Sr. think it was going to be easy for the Lions the rest of the way?

"No way," he said. "It's never easy against [North Carroll] because they never die. They keep coming down your throat, and that's a credit to Coach [Ed] Powelson."

The Panthers (2-4, 1-3) got one back with 21 minutes left in the first half on a goal by Grant Gibson.

North Carroll's Art Crouse sent an indirect kick from 40 yards out right in front of the Liberty goal. Keeper Josh Gursky went up with a North Carroll player but couldn't come down with the ball, and Gibson was there to tap it into an empty net.

North Carroll got even 10 minutes into the second half and had the Lions frustrated and off their ball-control game.

Damien Dieaco tied it at 2-2 with a header in close after a Liberty defender had failed to clear.

"[Liberty] got up on us 2-0 and we got down," Powelson said, "but then we got that first goal and it spurred us on."

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad