1 killed, 4 hurt in Route 97 accident 3 injured critically in head-on crash

A woman was killed instantly, and four other people were injured in a two-car, head-on crash on Route 97 north of Hook Road about 1:40 p.m. yesterday.

State police said three people were flown to area trauma hospitals by MedEvac helicopter and appeared to have life-threatening injuries.


Police said a 1987 Plymouth going south on Route 97 crossed the center line of the two-lane road and struck a northbound 1991 Ford Escort head-on.

The force of the impact spun the Escort 180 degrees, and it came to rest on a shoulder of the road facing south. The Plymouth came to rest in the southbound lane.


Bridget M. Evans, 75, of the 3400 block of Gaither Road in Baltimore, a passenger in the right-front seat of the Escort, died instantly in the crash.

The driver of the car, Doris I. Burucker, 73, who police said lives across the street from Ms. Evans on Gaither Road, was flown to the trauma center at Johns Hopkins Hospital. She was listed in critical condition last night.

Police said the driver of the Plymouth was Jonathan D. Cox, 19, of the 3700 block of Hawk's Hill Road in New Windsor.

He, too, was flown to Hopkins, and was undergoing emergency surgery last night. He was listed in critical condition.

A passenger in the Plymouth, identified as Adam G. White, 18, of the 1500 block of Conquistador Drive in Westminster, was flown to Suburban Hospital in Bethesda by a second state police helicopter. He was listed in critical condition last night.

James M. Trout, 18, of the 1700 block of Keysville Road South in Keymar, who was riding in the back seat of the Plymouth, was admitted to Carroll County General Hospital for evaluation of a head injury.

Three medic units from Westminster and Gamber responded to the crash to treat the injured before they were placed in the helicopters.

Route 97 was blocked between Hook and Poole roads for about an hour.


Traffic was rerouted around the accident by police and county road workers.

Police said last night that they had not yet determined why the Plymouth crossed the center line, and said that no charges would be filed until the investigation is finished.