Burglary, rape attempt suspect held NORTH COUNTY -- Linthicum * Ferndale * Brooklyn Park * Pumphrey


A man charged with trying to rape a woman in her Brooklyn Park home early Sunday, but who was stopped when the woman's husband heard her screams and came running upstairs, was ordered held in the county detention center on a $75,000 bond yesterday.

Steve Lee Brown, 28, of the 5000 block of Brookwood Road in Brooklyn Park, was charged with assault with intent to murder, assault with intent to rape and burglary. The felony charges carry a maximum of 65 years in prison.

According to charging documents, the 30-year-old woman was in bed at 3:45 a.m. in her second-floor room when she heard footsteps. She thought it was her husband who, earlier, had fallen asleep in the basement watching television.

"I never heard him come in," the woman's 31-year-old husband said yesterday afternoon. "We both had fallen asleep watching television downstairs, but she had gotten up before me and went upstairs to the bedroom."

The woman's husband rushed up the stairs when he heard his wife's screams.

"I saw two silhouettes and I just grabbed him off the bed," he said. "It all happened so fast."

According to the charging documents, Mr. Brown had climbed on top of the woman and stabbed her once in the right arm. He put his hand on her mouth to stop her from screaming and told her, "Shut up or I'll kill you."

He tried to pull her underwear off and said he was going to rape her.

"Once I had him, I got him on the floor and I had my hands around his neck," the woman's husband said. "He didn't resist me and I took him down to the living room and waited for the police. My wife had gone to a neighbor's house to get help."

He said the would-be rapist entered the house through an unlocked dining room window.

"He just pushed the screen and the window up," he said. "Earlier in the night, I had gone outside to take the trash out and I saw someone hanging out in the alley. All the lights were on in the house, and I guess he saw my wife through the window."

The woman's husband said their three small children were sleeping in their bedroom and would not come out during the attack.

"It's been two days now and my wife is still upset," he said. "She won't come back into the house. I'm putting all new locks on the doors and plenty of lights outside."

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad