4 are slain, 2 wounded in shootings City police arrest 1 suspect


Four people, including a 16-year-old boy, were killed and two others wounded in a spate of shootings yesterday that kept homicide detectives working through the night.

One arrest was made and police were seeking at least seven others in connection with the incidents.

The fatal shootings began in East Baltimore about 1:30 a.m. in the 1700 of Port St., where Lamont Puckett, 24, was shot in the head after an apparent argument about a woman, police said.

Mr. Puckett, of the 2100 block of E. Biddle St., was declared dead at the scene.

The latest of yesterday's slayings occurred shortly before 10 p.m. in the 400 block of N. Robinson St. in East Baltimore.

Police said Donnell Boyd, 22, of the 1300 block of E. Monument St., Warren Thigpen, 35, of the 500 block of N. Robinson St., and Chinue Thompson, 16, of the 400 block of N. Robinson St., were walking at 9:40 p.m. when they became involved in an argument with three men sitting on the front steps of a house.

When the words became heated, one of the men on the steps pulled out a handgun and shot Mr. Boyd in the chest. Another bullet hit Mr. Thigpen in the face and a third bullet struck Miss Thompson in the back as she turned to flee.

Police said Mr. Boyd and Mr. Thigpen were taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where Mr. Boyd died. Mr. Thigpen was discharged this morning.

The young woman was listed in serious condition at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

Thirty minutes earlier, Southwestern District police responding to a report of a shooting found Tony Kelly, 27, of the 700 block of Edgewood St., lying in the 3000 block of W. North Ave.

Mr. Kelly had been shot at least once in the upper body and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Shortly after 6 p.m., Michael McCargo, 16, of the 4100 block of Mountwood Road, was seen arguing with three men in the 1100 block of N. Woodington Road over a craps game when one of the men pulled out a handgun and shot the youth five times, once in the head.

The youth, who was found by a police officer who heard the shots, was rushed to St. Agnes Hospital, where he died at 7:05 p.m., without regaining consciousness, a hospital spokesman said.

Later, police arrested Orlando Bynum, 27, of the 4100 block of Rokeby Road, and charged him with first-degree murder and using a handgun in the commission of a felony.

The suspect was being held without bail pending a bail review hearing today.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad