Twice prior to yesterday's soccer game against top-ranked Curley, Gibbons' midfielder Steve Wojciechowski bailed out his team with game-winning goals.
Yesterday's goal wasn't a game-winner for Gibbons (2-2-1, 2-1-1), but it held up through two five-minute overtime periods for a 1-1 tie against the visiting Friars (5-0-1, 4-0-1) in a Maryland Scholastic Association A Conference game.
Yesterday's effort came 56 seconds before halftime against two of the area's best defensive players, second-team All-City sweeper Mike Libber and keeper Dennis Merryman (nine saves), who together anchored last year's 17-2 Friars to a school-record 12 shutouts.
Curley had taken a 1-0 lead just 7:46 into the game on a goal by freshman striker Guiliano Celenza.
* Calvert Hall 3, Boys' Latin 0: Steve Rottman scored two goals to lead the No. 5 Cardinals (5-0-1, 4-0) past Boys' Latin (3-3, 1-3) in an Maryland Scholastic Association A Conference Division I game.
* John Carroll 2, Gilman 1: Mike Cooperstein and Rob Ivy each scored in the first half as No. 15 John Carroll (3-2, 3-1) edged visiting Gilman (3-4, 2-3) in an MSA A Conference Division I game.
* Loyola 2, St. Paul's 1: Tim Hahn scored his second goal of the game five minutes into the second half to lift Loyola (5-1, 4-0) over host St. Paul's (2-6, 0-5) in an MSA A Conference Division I game.
* City 9, Lake Clifton 0: Host City (3-0, 3-0) scored six goals in the first half as it beat Lake Clifton (0-2, 0-2) in a Baltimore City League game.
* Friends 4, St. Mary's 0: Four players tallied goals in the second half as host Friends (5-1, 4-0) defeated St. Mary's (2-6, 0-5) in an MSA A Conference Division II game.
* Mount Hebron 2, McDonough 0: Janice Yoo and Eleana Ramos scored second-half goals to lead Mount Hebron (2-2) over McDonough of Charles County (2-4).
* Western 6, Southern-B 0: Freshman Kerri Harman scored four goals to lead Western (4-0) past visiting Southern.
* Liberty 6, Howard 0: Liberty (2-2) broke open a one-goal lead with five goals in the second half to coast past host Howard (0-2).
* Bel Air 4, Joppatowne 0: Christie Hall scored two goals as host Bel Air (4-0, 1-0) topped Joppatowne (2-0, 2-0) in a Harford County game.
* Bryn Mawr 0, Maryvale 0: Despite having 10 shots on goal for the game, Bryn Mawr (3-0-1, 1-0-1) finished in a a scoreless tie with Maryvale in an AIS A Division game.
* Spalding 1, Glenelg 0: Anne Mattison scored at 15:25 of the second half to lift Spalding over visiting Glenelg. Jessica Horwith had 14 saves for the Gladiators; Amanda Gildark had seven for Spalding.
* Glenelg CS 4, St. James 1: Rowena Mukhi scored two goals to give Glenelg Country School its first win.
* Friends 1, Park 0: Kim Stude scored the game's only goal for the Quakers (2-0).
* Wilde Lake 2, Loch Raven 1: Maggie Barker scored two !B first-period goals to lead visiting Wilde Lake over No. 4 Loch Raven (3-1). Gina Trionfo scored for Loch Raven.
* Franklin 1, Dundalk 0 OT: Junior Radka Zach scored in overtime to lead Franklin past visiting Dundalk.