Broadneck ties Chesapeake, 1-1 Jensen's long shot boosts Bruins Girls soccer


Tara Jensen has a confession to make: She never expected her shot to wind up in the back of the net.

Somewhere near the parking lot, maybe, but not in the net.

"I thought it was way over," said Jensen, whose first goal in three years at Broadneck, from 35 yards out with about 16 minutes remaining in regulation, allowed the 13th-ranked Bruins to tie No. 7 Chesapeake, 1-1, yesterday.

"When it went in, I was totally shocked. It was amazing."

Neither team scored in two 10-minute overtimes, though the Cougars had a golden opportunity late in the first extra session, when junior Melissa Wagner split two Broadneck defenders and fired a shot from close range that sailed inches above the crossbar.

Wagner had given Chesapeake (2-0-1) a 1-0 lead eight minutes into the second half on a penalty kick after Broadneck's Katy Kemerer was called for charging in the box. She lined a shot into the lower left corner, where Bruins goalkeeper Michelle Trudeau (nine saves) had no chance of stopping it.

"That was real questionable, but the official had to call whatever he saw," said Broadneck coach David Lord. "The girls could have gotten real upset after that, but they came right back."

Until the penalty kick, Wagner seldom had touched the ball because of Kemerer's close marking. And when she did, she couldn't convert.

Wagner's goal, her fifth this season, looked like it would be enough, until Jensen lofted a shot from the middle of the field that barely eluded Chesapeake goalkeeper Sandra Norris (six saves).

"The ball had so much spin on it, and [Norris] simply couldn't track the ball because the sun was right at the top of the trees," said Cougars coach Lin Sullivan, whose team was upset by Broadneck, 1-0, in the region semifinals last year. "We ended up getting the worst of the sun. Any other time, that ball would have been an easy save, but this time it was exactly where it had to be."

Norris stopped a shot from Broadneck's Jessica Hull with less than a minute remaining in the second overtime to preserve the tie.

Broadneck (1-1-1) was coming off a 2-1 upset loss to Annapolis, and another loss would have hurt.

"I think we can thank Annapolis in a way for what we ran into tonight," Sullivan said. "I don't think [Broadneck] liked that and they were here to prove they were still a very good soccer team."

As Chesapeake's players were about to take the field before the game, assistant coach Dennis Thiele said, "Take advantage. We have the sun in their faces and the wind at our backs. Go get them."

Statistically, the Cougars did just that, outshooting Broadneck 11-3. But seven saves from Trudeau kept the game scoreless.

Broadneck would come closest to breaking through in the half, when Hull took a shot with just under four minutes left that nTC Chesapeake's Tami Barrington deflected off the right post, to Norris.

The half ended with Chesapeake senior Jaime Long's direct kick barely sailing over the crossbar.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad