Man, brother plead guilty in killing Shooting followed violent argument, chases on foot ANNAPOLIS/SOUTH COUNTY -- Davidsonville * Edgewater * Shady Side * Deale

A 45-year-old Annapolis man and his brother pleaded guilty yesterday to killing an Annapolis man in April after a violent argument and two foot chases through city neighborhoods.

Gilbert Hawkins, of the first block of Bens Drive, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder before Circuit Judge Raymond G. Thieme Jr. Douglas Hawkins, 51, of the 1300 block of Walnut Drive in Annapolis, pleaded guilty to being an accessory to murder.


Judge Thieme set sentencing for both men for Nov. 8.

The two men were convicted of killing Robert Antonio Morgan, 31, of Annapolis, in the April 3 shooting.


State's Attorney Frank R. Weathersbee said the homicide occurred after Gilbert Hawkins got into a fight with Mr. Morgan at a home on the 200 block of Croll Drive.

The home was shared by Hawkins' girlfriend and Mr. Morgan's ex-girlfriend.

Hawkins chased Mr. Morgan out into the street and lost him in the neighborhood, Mr. Weathersbee said.

But Douglas Hawkins picked up his brother in his 1979 Chevrolet, then picked up Douglas Hawkins' son, James Hawkins of Annapolis, and drove around the community, Mr. Weathersbee said.

According to a police statement filed in the court record, the Hawkins trio spotted the victim as he was hitchhiking and just about to be picked up about 6:15 p.m. along Poplar Avenue, near its intersection with Pindell Avenue.

Mr. Morgan fled on foot.

He was chased by Gilbert Hawkins, who shot the victim once in the chest with a .25-caliber handgun.

Mr. Morgan was pronounced dead an hour later at Anne Arundel Medical Center.


According to a police affidavit filed in the court record, Annapolis police on patrol came upon the scene of what they thought was an accident just after the shooting had occurred.

They arrested all three men after questioning them and finding the handgun hidden on the bumper of Douglas Hawkins' Chevy.

Assistant Public Defender Gary Christopher, Gilbert Hawkins' attorney, said the fight began shortly after Mr. Morgan arrived at the Croll Drive home drunk and began threatening his client's girlfriend and the other women and children there with a 10-inch knife. An autopsy revealed the victim had a .27 blood alcohol content.

Gilbert Hawkins chased Mr. Morgan away from the house with a chair to get him out of the house, Mr. Christopher said.

The gun was supplied later by James Hawkins, Mr. Christopher said.

James Hawkins is facing charges of first-degree murder.


His trial is pending.