Winifred SullivanRetail executiveWinifred "Ginger" Sullivan, a retired...

Winifred Sullivan

Retail executive


Winifred "Ginger" Sullivan, a retired retail executive with Hochschild Kohn, died Aug. 26 of cancer at the Stella Maris Hospice. She was 74.

She retired in 1982 from the Baltimore department store chain, where she began her career in the Harundale branch in 1962. She eventually was transferred to the Eastpoint store as personnel administrator and then advanced to the Columbia store, where she was assistant store manager. Her last post was supervisor of sales audit for the chain.


After leaving Hochschild Kohn, she held several positions with the Greater Baltimore Merchant Employees Credit Union. She retired a second time in 1987.

One of 17 children, she was born in Ynysddu, Wales, and was reared on the nearby family farm, which was called Pen Crug. She received her education there and was a 1939 graduate of the Merthyr Tydfil School of Nursing. During World War II, she was a free-lance nurse working in hospitals in London, Cardiff and Swansea.

She emigrated to the United States in 1946 as a war bride and lived in Windsor Hills while her husband, Richard C. Sullivan, attended the University of Maryland Law School. He was called back to service during the Korean War, and the couple traveled to Virginia, Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois and France before returning to Maryland.

They were divorced in 1964.

Mrs. Sullivan, an active volunteer in retirement, moved to Primrose Place, a high-rise apartment complex for the elderly at Wilkens and Caton avenues, and was awarded The Sunpapers' Good Cheer Award in 1983. She was the subject of a profile in The Sun Magazine in December 1983.

She also was awarded a Congressional Certificate of Merit for Outstanding Citizenship from Democratic Sen. Barbara A. Mikulski.

An excellent seamstress, Mrs. Sullivan also knitted and crocheted.

A private memorial service was held Aug. 30 at Stella Maris Chapel.


She is survived by two daughters, Marilyn S. Hilgartner of Towson and Patricia S. Phillips of Millersville; four brothers, Wyndham Morris, Edwin Morris, Roland Morris and Trevor Morris, all of Wales; nine sisters, Rena M. Archer of Toronto, June M. Leeming, Marian M. Cartwright, and Dilwen M. Kemsley, all of England, and Patricia M. Edwards, Drucilla M. Jones, Olwen M. Richards, Goleu M. Stokes, and Bronwyn M. Jukes, all of Wales.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Stella Maris Hospice, 2300 Dulaney Valley Road, Towson 21204. Frances Berry Hill, professor emeritus of music at Morgan State University, died Thursday of complications of cancer at the Carriage Hill Special Care Residence in Silver Spring. She was 85 and had been living with her daughter in Washington.

Mrs. Hill, who retired in 1976, had joined the Morgan State faculty in 1937.

"She epitomized the best in music at Morgan State and was the heart and soul of our music department." said Nathan Carter, chairman of the Department of Fine Arts and director of the university's choir.

As teacher of musical theory and harmony, he said, she gave students with little formal musical training the theoretical and technical knowledge needed in all fields of music. He described her as "an active vibrant person" who worked closely with him and accompanied the choir.

Lawrence K. Montgomery, Morgan's director of alumni affairs and acting vice president for institutional advancement, had been an instrumental music major at Morgan, studying the trumpet. He described Mrs. Hill as a "fantastic teacher, firm but gentle," who made him practice the piano a lot while taking her basic musicianship course.


Learning to play the piano was required, but he "did not have a lot of dexterity or interest," he said. "She convinced me the only way to get through the course was to practice."

Mrs. Hill, from the 1940s into the 1970s, was the pianist at graduation and baccalaureate services and was the organist for services at the Morgan Christian Center.

Her husband of 49 years, Talmadge L. "Marse" Hill, died in 1982. He was a coach of winning football and basketball teams at the university, and the couple lived on the campus or in nearby Morgan Park for many years.

Especially while living on campus near the stadium, Mrs. Hill was the hostess for many receptions following football games, especially after homecoming and the season-closing game on Thanksgiving.

The former Frances Berry was born in Lynchburg, Va., and was valedictorian of her class at Dunbar High School there. In 1928, she was graduated with great honors from Morgan, and four years later received a bachelor's of music from the Oberlin Conservatory in Ohio. Later, she earned a master's degree from New York University.

A charter member of the Morgan Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority and the Baltimore Chapter of Jack and Jill of America, she was also a member of the Links Inc., the Morgan University Women, the Cornelia, the Quettes, the Boule Wives and the Order of the Eastern Star. She was a member of several card clubs.


Services are set for 5 p.m. tomorrow at the Christian Center on the Morgan campus, Hillen Road and Cold Spring Lane, Baltimore.

Mrs. Hill is survived by her daughter, Freddie Hill Lucas of Washington; her son, Talmadge L. Hill Jr. of Randallstown; and five grandchildren.

The family suggested that memorial contributions may be made to the Morgan State University Foundation.

Anne M. Selway

History teacher

Anne M. Selway, retired American history teacher at the Institute of Notre Dame, died Thursday of cancer at the Mercy Medical Center.


The 36-year-old Baltimore resident retired about two years ago because of her illness after teaching for about five years at the East Baltimore girls' high school.

She began her teaching career in 1979 at the Middle School of the Catholic Community School of South Baltimore and also taught at St. Pius X School in the Rodgers Forge area.

The Baltimore native was a 1974 graduate of the Catholic High School and a 1978 graduate of the University of Maryland Baltimore County who did graduate work at the Catholic University.

She traveled to Lourdes, France, last May as winner of a Knights of Malta essay contest.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 9 a.m. today at St. Anthony of Padua Roman Catholic Church, 4414 Frankford Ave., Baltimore.

She is survived by her mother, M. Patricia Selway of Baltimore; three brothers, William C. Selway of Parkville, Jerome W. Selway of Baltimore and Matthew K. Selway of Abingdon; and four sisters, Faye Byrd of Boulder, Colo., and Elaine Beigel, Maureen Colwell and Patricia Selway, all of Baltimore.


Henry A. Lohse

National Guardsman

Sgt. Maj. Henry A. Lohse, a member of the 20th Special Forces Group of the Maryland National Guard, died Aug. 10 of a stroke at Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio. He was 54.

The president of Angus Builders, a masonry company he founded in 1983, was stricken in late July in rural El Salvador where he had gone with the National Guard to build a school. After a brief hospital stay in San Salvador, he was flown to Texas, where he died.

Sergeant Lohse, a Sparks resident, was a native of Hamburg, Germany, who emigrated to Baltimore with his parents in 1952. He graduated from the Baltimore Polytechnic Institute in 1957, and attended the Johns Hopkins University briefly before joining the Army in 1960.

Sergeant Lohse's active and reserve duty military career spanned 31 years.


"The Army was his hobby," remembered his daughter, Claudia Lohse. "He looked forward to the weekends with the boys practicing maneuvers, parachuting and discussing military issues."

Services were private.

In addition to his daughter, he is survived by his wife, the former Isolde Christl of Augsburg, Germany, whom he married in 1965. Richard R. Van Kleeck, a vice president of Merrill Lynch & Co. who worked in Baltimore in its private client group, died Thursday of cancer at his home in the Poplar Hill section of Baltimore.

Mr. Van Kleeck, 68, worked at Merrill Lynch for 40 years.

The Kingston, N.Y., native served in the Army in Europe during World II and was a 1949 graduate of Rider College in New Jersey.

A Baltimore resident since the early 1950s, he was a member of the Center and L'Hirondelle clubs and a subscriber of the Bachelors Cotillon.


A memorial service will be conducted at 10:30 a.m. Monday in the Chapel of the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, 5603 N. Charles St., Baltimore.

He is survived by his wife of 38 years, the former Marion Penniman Barker; a son, Peter Reynolds Van Kleeck of Baltimore; and a daughter, Harriet Van Kleeck Toedter of Croton-on-Hudson, N.Y.

Charles W. Stallings

Western Electric retiree

Charles Wilbur "Bill" Stallings, 59, a retired Western Electric Co. employee, died of cancer June 3 at his home in Arbutus.

Born in Baltimore and reared in Howard County, Mr. Stallings served in the Army from 1954 to 1956. He worked in the cable department of the old Western Electric Point Breeze plant for more than 28 years before retiring in 1985.


The next year, he obtained a school bus maintenance job for the Baltimore County schools in Arbutus. He had been on sick leave for several months before his death.

A member of the Telephone Pioneers of America, he was an advocate for child and animal rights.

Services were conducted June 7.

Surviving are his wife, the former Patricia Kniese; and daughters Katherine Stallings and Laurie Stallings.

The family suggested that memorial donations may be made to the St. Agnes Hospice Fund, c/o St. Agnes Hospital.