Spencer P. Ellis
Former DNR official
Spencer P. Ellis, former assistant PHOTOsecretary of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, died of cancer Saturday in Fort Collins, Colo., where he had lived since 1991. He was 69.
Gov. William Donald Schaefer ordered flags at all state forests and parks flown at half-staff today in tribute to Mr. Ellis.
He was appointed assistant secretary in 1971, when DNR was organized, and served in that position until 1983, when Gov. Harry R. Hughes reorganized the department. From 1964 to 1971, Mr. Ellis was the director of state forests and parks.
In 1969, he was instrumental in the passage of Maryland's Program Open Space in which money from the real estate transfer tax was used to purchase state, county and city parklands. It is considered a model land preservation program.
Mr. Ellis was associated for 28 years with the Federal Land and Water Conservation Fund, which assisted the states in the purchase of parklands.
Born in Joaquin, Texas, he received his early education there. He earned a bachelor's degree in architecture from Texas A&M; University in 1943.
His academic career was interrupted by World War II, when he served in the Army in the Pacific theater. After the war, he returned to Texas A&M; and received a master's in landscape architecture in 1948. He also served in Korea and subsequently retired from the U.S. Army Reserve as a lieutenant colonel. His many decorations include the Silver Star, Legion of Merit and Distinguished Service Award.
He began his professional career as the superintendent of parks for Corpus Christi and in 1954 became the director of parks and recreation for Wichita Falls, Texas.
A longtime resident of the Eastport section of Annapolis, Mr. Ellis, the son of parents who were artists, enjoyed painting watercolors. "He was a very accomplished watercolor artist," said W. Offutt Johnson, a natural resource coordinator for forests and parks who was a friend of Mr. Ellis for 30 years. "He loved painting landscapes, and his painting of the Annapolis City Dock hung in the Annapolis Hilton for years."
Mr. Ellis enjoyed fishing in the bay and golfing.
Services were scheduled for today in Joaquin, Texas.
He is survived by his wife, the former Frances P. Pierce, whom he married in 1971; and two brothers, Renford C. Ellis of Home, La., and Joe L. Ellis of Center, Texas.
The family suggested that memorial contributions might be made to the Hospice of Larimer County, 5205 S. College Ave., Fort Collins, Colo. 80525.
William Lynn Tate, president of Power Transmission Systems Inc., an industrial equipment distributor, died Wednesday of heart disease at North Arundel Hospital.
Mr. Tate, who was 88, was still active in the business on West Patapsco Avenue that he started nearly 30 years ago. He lived in the Sillery Bay area of Pasadena.
The native of Caswell County in north-central North Carolina was a 1928 graduate of North Carolina State University in Raleigh.
He worked as a chemical engineer at an Armco steel plant in Ashland, Ky., and for the Tennessee Copper Co. in Copper Hill, Tenn., before moving to the Baltimore area in the 1930s.
In the 1940s, he was employed by the Brookline Chemical Co. in the Brooklyn area. In the early 1950s, he worked in Irvington, N.J., for the Irvington Smelting and Refining Co. He then returned to the Baltimore area and started his business.
Masonic services for Mr. Tate, who was a member of the Howard Lodge, were to be conducted at 8:30 p.m. today at the McCully Funeral Home, 3204 Mountain Road in Pasadena.
He is survived by his wife, the former Daisy Lee Brown; two daughters, Betty Lynn Kirwan of Cullowhee, N.C., and Alice Lee Cushing of Fairfield, Maine; a sister, Anne Rice Bruton of Clymer, Pa.; six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial contributions to Friends of the ,, Library at North Carolina State University.
Charles F. Duvall
Charles F. Duvall, a retired Army sergeant first class who had served in the Pacific during World War II and in the Korean War, died Tuesday of heart disease at a veterans hospital in Philadelphia.
Mr. Duvall was 79.
The Federalsburg resident was born in Marriottsville and was a graduate of Loyola High School.
For several years after his retirement from the Army in 1964, he worked as an electrician at Bon Secours Hospital in Southwest Baltimore. He moved from Brooklyn Park to Federalsburg in 1980.
He was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars in Federalsburg and of the American Legion in Hurlock.
Services for Mr. Duvall were to be held at 10 a.m. today at the Frampton-Hawkins-Eskow Funeral Home in Federalsburg.
His survivors include his wife, the former Hazel Caperoon; a son, Timothy F. Duvall of Arnold; and a grandson.
Lillian B. Monroe
Art collector, volunteer
Lillian B. Monroe, an art collector and volunteer, died Sept. 10 at her Bolton Hill home of cancer. She was 72.
Mrs. Monroe moved to Baltimore in 1960 when her husband, Dr. Russell R. Monroe, who had been a professor of psychiatry at the Tulane University School of Medicine, joined the faculty of the Psychiatric Institute of the University of Maryland School of .. Medicine. He became chairman of the department in 1976.
Mrs. Monroe collected modern lithographic art, focusing on the New York school. Her collection featured works by such artists as Jasper Johns and Roy Lichtenstein.
She was active with Meals on Wheels and the Baltimore Museum of Art, and she was a founding board member of the Bolton Swim and Tennis Club. She also was a member of the Bolton Hill Garden Club.
Born in New Haven, Conn., she received her education in schools there and graduated from Larson Junior College.
An avid sailor, Mrs. Monroe sailed the Caribbean, the Baltic and around England in a 40-foot sailboat. She was also a member of the Southern Yacht Club in New Orleans.
Private services for Mrs. Monroe will be held tomorrow. The family will receive friends from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at 238 W. Lafayette Ave.
She is survived by her husband, whom she married 1945; a son, Dr. Russell R. Monroe Jr. of Charleston, S.C.; two daughters, Connie Teevan of San Francisco and Nancy Monroe of New Orleans; and five grandchildren.
The family suggested that memorial contributions might be made to the American Cancer Society.