Myrtle H. Shuppert
Myrtle H. Shuppert, a former secretary at the Department of Justice and a longtime resident of Baltimore County, died Aug. 23 at the Shrewsbury Retirement Village in Shrewsbury, Pa. She was 94 and had suffered a stroke about two years ago.
Before moving to the retirement village, she lived in Corbett for 53 years.
The former Myrtle Hendrix was a native of New Freedom, Pa., one of 12 children, and she was reared in Maryland Line. She took courses at Baltimore Polytechnic, receiving a certificate in 1923, and continued her studies at Strayers Business College in Baltimore.
A voice student at the Peabody Institute, she was a soloist and choir singer at various churches and a member of the Baltimore County Chorus. She also played in the Baltimore Mandolin Orchestra, which was heard on the radio.
Mrs. Shuppert began her career as a secretary with the Henry Keidel hardware wholesalers in Baltimore. In the 1950s, she moved to the Johns Hopkins Institute for Cooperative Research before going to work for the Justice Department in Washington. Her duties took her with the Civil Rights Division to Selma and Montgomery, Ala. She retired in 1966.
She was a member of the Daughters of America, Order of the Eastern Star and the Grange. She also was a member for many years of the Steltz Church in Glen Rock, Pa., where services were conducted Aug. 26 by the Rev. J. William Anderson.
Survivors include her husband of 65 years, George W. Shuppert Sr. of White Hall; a daughter, Anne Schwarzkopf of Weston, Mass.; two sons, George W. Shuppert Jr. of White Hall and Robert Shuppert of Acton, Mass.; two sisters, Mary Patterson of Baltimore and Beulah Coumerilh of Mullen, Idaho; two brothers, Harry Hendrix of Shrewsbury and Charles Hendrix of York, Pa.; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandsons.
Rev. Martin J. Hoar
The Rev. Martin J. Hoar, who retired in 1986 as an associate pastor at St. Jane Frances de Chantal Roman Catholic Church in Riviera Beach, died Sunday of complications of arteriosclerosis and diabetes at St. John Hall-Long Crandon, the retirement home for priests adjacent to the Stella Maris Hospice.
Father Hoar, 72, was assigned to the Riviera Beach church in 1979, transferring there from Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Woodlawn, where he had been assigned since 1965.
His first assignment after his 1946 ordination at the Basilica of the Assumption was at St. Dominic Church in Baltimore, where he remained until 1951 when he began his naval service.
First sent to Camp Pendleton in California, the Navy chaplain was transferred to Korea and later served at the Naval Hospital in Philadelphia and with other naval or Marine Corps units. He left the service in 1965 as a lieutenant commander.
Born in Springfield, Mass., he graduated from Mount St. Mary's College in Emmitsburg, then applied to become a priest and completed his studies at Mount St. Mary's Seminary.
A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 11 a.m. tomorrow at St. Jane Frances de Chantal Church, 8499 Virginia Ave., Riviera Beach.
He is survived by a sister, Mary Walence, a niece and a nephew, all of Springfield.