John F. Toohey Sr.
Real estate broker
John F. Toohey Sr., a real estate broker and appraiser, died Thursday of cancer at University of Maryland Medical Center. He was 50.
In the 1970s, Mr. Toohey established Toohey and Associates Realtors, where he was president. He also was chairman of the board of Toohey Appraisals Inc. in Timonium.
The Baltimore native grew up in Edmondson Village and was a 1961 graduate of Calvert Hall College. He served in the Maryland Air National Guard for a year before enrolling at the University of Baltimore. He graduated in 1966 and worked briefly as a salesman for the Dictaphone Corp.
In the 1960s he was self-employed, operating carwashes in Glen Burnie and Towson.
He was a member of the National Association of Realtors, the Baltimore Board of Realtors and the American Society of Appraisers.
Mr. Toohey was active in the Baltimore Yacht Club and the Sue Island Power Squadron. He also was secretary of the Baltimore Yacht Holding Corp.
A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the Roman Catholic Church of the Nativity, 1800 Vista Lane, Lutherville.
Mr. Toohey is survived by his wife of 26 years, the former Bernadette Irwin; a son, John F. "Jay" Toohey Jr.; and a daughter, Colleen E. Toohey, all of Lutherville; and a sister, Eileen Delia Schneid of Stoneleigh.
Elmer Simms Smith
Retired city employee
Elmer Simms Smith, a retired Baltimore City employee who helped acquire land for civic projects that included Charles Center and the Inner Harbor, died Sept. 1 of cardiovascular disease at the Edenwald Retirement Community in Towson.
Mr. Smith, 87, had lived at the retirement community for eight years. He was a Baltimore native.
He retired in 1979 after working for the city for 45 years, beginning in the building construction bureau.
In the 1950s, he was named to head the real estate department and worked to acquire property for many urban development projects, including the Jones Falls Expressway.
Mr. Smith was a member of the Maryland Association of Engineers; the Potomac Chapter of the American Right of Way, a group for real estate professionals; and Towson United Methodist Church. He was a former member of the Baltimore Engineers Club.
After graduation from Baltimore Polytechnic Institute and the Maryland Institute, he took some engineering and real estate courses at the Johns Hopkins University.
A memorial service was conducted Tuesday at Towson United Methodist Church.
Mr. Smith is survived by his wife of 60 years, the former Mabel Lockwood of Towson; a daughter, Joan Smith Lindgren of Gainesville, Fla.; a sister, Katherine Bailey of Salisbury; a brother, Howard Smith of Catonsville; and three grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial contributions to Towson United Methodist Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson 21286, or the Edenwald Residents' Endowment Fund, 800 Southerly Road, Towson 21286.
Robert W. Hoskins
Robert W. Hoskins, a retired bank executive and former Catonsville resident, died Sept. 5 of cancer at his home in Palm Harbor, Fla. He was 73.
The Baltimore native moved to Florida in 1963.
He retired in 1983 after a long career in banking. He worked for Household Finance Corp. for 25 years, leaving as a district supervisor. Afterward, he worked for five years as an assistant vice president at Exchange National Bank of Tampa and for five years as vice president of loans at Palm State Bank in Palm Harbor.
Mr. Hoskins served in the Army in Italy during World War II. He was awarded a Bronze Star, four battle stars and the Order of the Crown of Italy. He reached the rank of captain.
He attended the University of Baltimore.
Services were held Sept. 8 at Moss Feaster Funeral Home in Clearwater, Fla.
Mr. Hoskins is survived by his wife of 30 years, the former Donna Biggart of Palm Harbor; three sons, Eric and Paul Hoskins, both of Baltimore, and John Hoskins, of Palm Harbor; two daughters, Beth Stenson of Fort Worth, Texas, and Barbara Wehinger of Palm Harbor; his mother, Leona Hoskins of Baltimore; three sisters, June Geyer, Dorothy Maynard and Virginia Jankiewicz, all of Baltimore; 10 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial contributions to Hospice of the Florida Sun Coast, 300 E. Bay Drive, Largo, Fla. 34640.
Katherine E. Rawlings, a former recreation center director with the Baltimore Department of Recreation and Parks, died Thursday of a massive heart attack at Holly Hill Manor nursing home in Towson. She was 88.
Mrs. Rawlings loved sports and helped youngsters hone their athletic abilities as director of the North Harford Recreation Center in Hamilton from 1956 to 1963.
She taught gymnastics, tennis, basketball and soccer, and coached the girls' softball league. She also was a tennis instructor at Clifton Park Junior High School.
"She was respected and loved by the parents and children in the North Harford community," said her sister, Anna J. White of Towson. "As director she organized all the [center's] programs, from athletics to dance."
In the late 1950s and early 1960s, Mrs. Rawlings helped coordinate weekly dances for teen-agers at Gardenville School on Belair Road and at Clifton Park High School.
Before becoming director at North Harford, she was a part-time playground manager for the old Playground Athletic League, the forerunner of today's Department of Recreation and Parks. She and Phillip T. Rawlings, an engineer employed by the city, were married in the 1930s. Mr. Rawlings died in 1956.
Born and raised in Lauraville, the former Katherine E. Wilson attended Eastern High School. In the late 1920s she graduated from the Maryland State Normal School, now Towson State University, with a degree in teaching.
She was an avid gardener who enjoyed playing bridge.
Services will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the John C. Miller funeral home, 6415 Belair Road.
In addition to her sister, she is survived by a niece, Wendy South Horak of Union Bridge; and a nephew, Thomas W. White of Silver Spring.
John A. Kerney
John A. Kerney, a retired insurance executive and avid walker at Towsontown Center, died of pancreatic cancer at his son's home in Towson on Sept. 2. He was 84.
Mr. Kerney retired in 1978 as chairman at Gorges and Co. in Timonium where he had worked for 32 years. He also had been the company's president, vice president and treasurer.
The Baltimore native also had worked for Western Electric Co. and Baker Watts & Co.
Mr. Kerney had been an avid walker for the past six years, often exercising twice a day at Towson malls. He got to know many mall employees during his outings.
He had lived in Towson since 1957.
Mr. Kerney was drafted into the Army in 1943 as an enlisted man and participated in the liberation of Rome, the invasion of southern France and the capture of Munich. He was awarded a combat infantryman badge, a good conduct medal, an African-Middle Eastern service ribbon and four campaign ribbons.
He was a graduate of the Baltimore Polytechnic Institute.
He was a member of Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church in Towson; the Serra Club, a group dedicated to increasing Catholic vocations; the Hibernian Society of Baltimore; the Knights of Columbus; the Maryland Association of Insurance Agents; the Elks Club; the American Legion; and the American Association of Retired People in Rodgers Forge.
Mr. Kerney's wife, the former Catherine Molloy, died in 1986. They had been married 56 years.
A Mass of Christian burial was offered Sept. 4 at Immaculate Conception Church.
Mr. Kerney is survived by a son, John M. Kerney; a daughter, Barbara K. McKay of Smyrna, Del.; a brother, Robert E. Kerney of Timonium; a sister, Corita K. Laudeman of Catonsville; and four grandchildren.
The family suggested that memorial contributions could be made to the Stella Maris Hospice, Dulaney Valley Road, Baltimore 21093.