Mike Henning and Andy Trucksess each scored a goal in the first half to lead Randolph-Macon (3-0) over tournament host Frostburg State (1-1), 2-0, in the first day of men's soccer action at the Bobcat Classic yesterday.
Frostburg will face Virginia Wesleyan, which tied Kean College, 3-3, in yesterday's other game, in the second game today. Kean will take on Randolph-Macon in the first game at noon.
* Johns Hopkins 4, Goucher 1: Keith Baumgarten and Mogbeyi Omatete each scored two goals, as Johns Hopkins (1-0) defeated host Goucher (2-1). It was the first ever meeting between the teams.
Dan Jarrett scored for Goucher.
* Mercer CC 8, Essex CC 0: Italo Rodriguez scored three goals to lead Mercer County Community College past visiting Essex Community College (0-1).
* Villa Julie 2, Penn State-Delaware 0: Dave Fisher and Tony Centrosanti each scored a goal and Nick Costa had 15 saves, as Villa Julie (1-2) placed third in the Penn State-York Invitational with a victory over Penn State-Delaware. Fisher's goalcame at the 25-minute mark of the first half with an assist from Sean Alisea. At the 25-minute mark of the second half, Centrosanti scored.
* Penn State-York 3, Villa Julie 1: Host Penn State-York scored three unanswered goals in the second half, as it defeated Villa Julie (1-1) in the semifinal of the Penn State-York Invitational.
Sean Kaiser gave Villa Julie a 1-0 lead with a goal at the 12:38 mark of the opening half. Matt Messlick tied the game for Penn State with a goal at the 26-minute mark. At the 35-minute mark, George Perry broke the tie, and Petros Karararis then scored at the 40-minute mark.
* Towson State 4, UNC-Asheville 0: Amy Pfaff scored two goals in a four-goal second half, as Towson State (1-0) defeated UNC-Asheville in its Big South Conference debut. Goalkeepers Michelle Robinson (Old Mill) and Susie Blanco combined for the shutout.
* St. Mary's 3, Western Maryland 0: Ruth Murray scored two first-half goals to lead St. Mary's to a win over Western Maryland in the season opener for both teams. Jackie Aitoro recorded six saves in the shut
* Goucher 5, Lynchburg 4: Michelle Mohlman scored two second-half goals, including the game-winner with 14 seconds remaining, to lead Goucher (1-1) over host Lynchburg (1-1). Goucher, down 3-1 at halftime, scored four goals in the second half to come from behind for the win.
* Gettysburg 3, Washington 1: Gettysburg used two unassisted goals by Amy Washington and Loren McCuintica to overtake host Washington. Stephanie Self collected six saves for Washington (1-1-0).
* Maryland 2, Delaware 0: Junior Laura Harmon scored twice in the first half, as Maryland shut out visiting Delaware in an NCAA Division I game.
Sabrina Salam and Amy Schubert assisted on the first goal, and Harmon scored the second unassisted.
* Johns Hopkins 2, Muhlenberg 1: Audrey Babics scored 17:35 into the second half to give Johns Hopkins a win over Muhlenberg. The win was the first of the season for the Blue Jays.