Mortimer BrandtRan art galleryMortimer Brandt, an internationally...


Mortimer Brandt

Ran art gallery

Mortimer Brandt, an internationally known art dealer who operated a gallery in New York for many years, died Monday of cancer at Union Memorial Hospital in Baltimore. He was 88.

Mr. Brandt specialized in Old Masters paintings and drawings at his Mortimer Brandt Gallery on 57th Street in Manhattan. He operated the gallery from 1937 to 1969, when it closed and he moved to London. He and his wife moved to Baltimore in 1983.

In 1940, his gallery held the only U.S. exhibition of the paintings of Jacob Jordaens, a 16th-century Flemish painter. Jordaens is considered to be the most important painter of the Flemish school after Rubens.

During World War II, Mr. Brandt began exhibiting modern art. His 1944 show "Color and Space in Modern Art" featured the works of Matisse, Braque, Kadinski, Picasso, Miro and Calder. Shortly afterward, he gave Mark Rothko his first exhibition.

Born in New York, he was educated at home and began his business career with the General Motors Acceptance Corp. in the 1920s. He later joined Credit Alliance Corp. and was sent in 1927 to Toronto, where he established the Credit Alliance Corp. of Canada.

It was while he was living in Canada that Mr. Brandt began collecting paintings. He finally left his job and returned to New York, where he enrolled in a fine arts program at New York University.

A benefactor as well as a dealer, he donated works of art to the Walters Art Gallery, the Baltimore Museum of Art and the National Gallery in Washington.

Mr. Brandt enjoyed traveling, photography and listening to music.

He was the founding president of Cancer Care in New York from 1952 to 1957, a trustee for the Showcase for the Disabled and a delegate to the Welfare and Health Council of New York City.

Mr. Brandt was also a trustee of the Shaker Museum in Old Chatham, N.Y., and was a member and founding trustee of the Association for Advancement of American Art.

He was a member of the Pilgrims Society and was a past member of the Sunningdale Golf Club in England, the American Club and the Arts Club.

Services will be private.

He is survived by his wife of 56 years, the former Hilda Harbidge; two daughters, Sandra B. Waters of Baltimore and Pamela B. Denniston of Webb City, Mo.; and three grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Hospice of Union Memorial Hospital, 3612 Falls Road, Baltimore 21211.

James M. Whilden

Retired Navy chief

James M. Whilden, a retired senior chief petty officer who had been stationed at the Naval Academy in the 1950s, died Saturday of cancer at his home in Sequim, Wash.

Mr. Whilden, 67, retired in 1975 after 30 years of service in the Navy.

Before moving to Sequim 13 years ago, he lived in Anchorage and served as vice president of the Alaska Industrial X-Ray Co.

The Philadelphia native became a life member of the Fleet Reserve Association while living in Anchorage and was active in a group of former crew members of the USS Wright.

Graveside services will be conducted at 9 a.m. tomorrow at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.

He is survived by a son, James M. Whilden Jr. of Edgewater; two daughters, Marguerite Whilden Walbeck and Kathleen Anne Whilden of Annapolis; four brothers, Charles Whilden of Philadelphia, Gerald Whilden of Bradenton, Fla., Robert Whilden of Wilmington, Del., and William Whilden of Pennsylvania; and two grandchildren.

Virginia M. Ball

Secretary, missionary

Virginia M. Ball, a retired contracting company secretary and former missionary, died Monday at the Maryland General Hospital of complications after surgery.

The 75-year-old Catonsville resident retired in 1980 from the Wallace and Gale Construction Co.

A native of Neavitt who was educated in St. Michaels and at Easton High School, she served for 16 years at Grace and Hope Missions in Baltimore; Buffalo, N.Y.; and Reading, Pa.

She played the trombone, sometimes in a duet with her sister -- Kathryn Stutzman of Catonsville -- and the trumpet for services and other events at the missions and later on occasions at the First Church of the Nazarene in Ellicott City.

In 38 years with that congregation, she sang in the choir, taught adult and children's Sunday school classes and served as president of the Missionary Society.

Services are planned for 2 p.m. today at the Hubbard Funeral Home, 4107 Wilkens Ave., Baltimore.

C7 She also is survived by several nieces and nephews.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad