Chris Doyle's goal early in the first half gave Loyola a 1-0 South Atlantic Region soccer victory over Old Dominion in the Greyhounds' season opener before 1,302 at Curley Field.
Doyle scored 13:08 into the game when his shot deflected off a Monarchs defender and over the head of goalie Tim Figureido. The Greyhounds dominated first-half play, outshooting Old Dominion, 12-0.
Loyola goalkeeper Peter Trizzino recorded his fifth career shutout with three saves. His toughest save occurred with 8:04 remaining, when he stopped a penalty kick by Bucky Silva.
* Washington College 1, Lebanon Valley 0: Brian Rush scored in the second half to lift host Washington College over Lebanon Valley in the season opener for both teams. Shawn McMahon assisted on the goal, and Greg Miller had nine saves.
* Mount St. Mary's 2, UMES 0: Sophomore Mike Faubert scored two goals six minutes apart in the first half to lift the Mountaineers (1-0) over UMES (0-1) in the Holiday Inn Classic at Mount St. Mary's. Mount St. Mary's will play Richmond in today's championship match.
Faubert's first goal came on a penalty kick at 29:55, and the second came off an assist from senior back Greg Goles (John Carroll) at 35:26.
The Mountaineers dominated the action, outshooting UMES, 18-6. Hawks goalie Karry Brown turned away 10 shots. The Mount's two goalies did not need to make any saves.
* Philadelphia Textile 1, Towson State 0: Senior Greg Wilson scored off a deflection late in the first half and Philadelphia Textile (1-0) held on to beat Towson State (0-1) in the Lehigh University Nationscredit Soccer Cup Tournament in Bethlehem, Pa.
The Tigers played the last 70 minutes of the game with 10 players after senior Stu Weisshar was red-carded and ejected for fouling a Textile player on a breakaway.
Senior goalkeeper Rich Pellegrini had a career-high 13 saves. The Tigers will play St. Bonaventure today at noon.
* Navy 1, Air Force 1: Shawn Moyer (North County) headed in a goal off a throw-in pass from Brent Boyle with 14 minutes remaining to tie Air Force at the New Hampshire Jamboree in Durham, N.H. Navy will play New Hampshire today.
* Goucher 2, Holy Family 1: Percy Moore and David DiAngelo scored to lead Goucher (1-0) past host Holy Family (0-1).
Chris Serocca and Lynda Lohsen scored late in the first half, and Loyola opened its season with a 2-0 victory at Navy in the Midshipmen's first women's soccer game. Navy goalie Sam Cruz had 25 saves.
* Marymount 1, Goucher 0: Sherry McClelland's goal 25 minutes into the second half lifted Marymount (1-0) over Goucher College (0-1) in a Capital Athletic Conference opener at Marymount.
Sarah Djarir posted the shutout for Marymount, making 12 saves. Freshman goalkeeper Christine Simeone had five saves for Goucher.
* Gettysburg 5, College of Notre Dame 4: Gettysburg (1-0) scored four of its goals in the first half to defeat host College of Notre Dame (0-1).
Corina Riismandel led the Gators with a game-high three goals.
* UMBC 2, Adelphi 1: Sophomore forward Kasy Kruger assisted on two goals and UMBC beat visiting Adelphi.
Laura Dvorak scored midway through the first half on a header pass from Kruger to give the Retrievers (1-0) a 1-0 lead. Ten minutes into the second half, Kruger used a touch pass to Denise Schilte, whose shot went just inside the left post for a 2-0 advantage. Shannon Sepe scored for Adelphi (0-1).