ANNAPOLIS/SOUTH COUNTY--Davidsonville * Edgewater * Shady Side * Deale


Because of the Labor Day holiday, the neighborhood pages of The Sun for Anne Arundel County will not be published Monday.


Lyn Backe's Annapolis/South County column will appear Tuesday.

A combined edition of The Sun and The Evening Sun will be delivered to all subscribers Monday.


Eleven inmates at the Anne Arundel County Detention Center were affected Wednesday night by toxic fumes created when a kitchen worker mixed two cleaning chemicals in a bucket.

None of the inmates was seriously injured. Battalion Chief Gary Sheckells, a spokesman for the county fire department, said the inmates complained of eye, nose and throat irritations.

The incident occurred about 8:15 p.m. when an inmate who works in the kitchen mixed a chlorine-based cleaner with liquid ,, bleach, Chief Sheckells said. A small vapor cloud formed and the fumes spread.

The fire department's hazardous materials units were dispatched to the prison on Jennifer Road and contained the fumes and disposed of the toxic mixture. The prison's medical staff treated the inmates.

No prisoners had to leave their cells. Prison operations returned to normal by 11:15 p.m.

Man charged after driving car into townhouse

A 68-year-old man who allegedly struck a county utilities worker with his car yesterday then drove into a home nearly hitting a woman inside has been charged with negligent driving.

Curtis Williams, who lives next to the home he allegedly ran into, was not injured in the crash, which destroyed the front of a townhouse in the 900 block of Topmast Way.


Police said Mr. Williams had been asked to move his 1981 Mercedes-Benz station wagon away from a manhole cover by Ralph A. Johnson, 35, a county utilities worker who lives in Glen Burnie.

But police said Mr. Williams drove forward instead, hitting Mr. Johnson, then traveling 25 feet over a grass plot and through a bay window of the home.

Mr. Johnson was treated at Anne Arundel Medical Center for leg and lower-back injuries, then released.

Police said the car went into the living room and came within one foot of hitting Mary Ellen Wessel, 71, who was sitting on her couch and watching television.

"There was debris everywhere," said Officer Terry Crowe, a county police spokesman. "But she wasn't injured, which is amazing.