Mary E. Conkwright
Supporter of the arts
Mary E. Conkwright, a homemaker and avid supporter of the arts in Baltimore, died Friday of natural causes at her home in Towson. She was 68.
After studying ballet in the mid-1980s, Mrs. Conkwright became a volunteer at the Ballet Theater of Annapolis, where she performed public relations work and served on the board of directors for four years.
From 1986 to 1988, she represented the Ballet Theater on the Maryland State Arts Council.
After years of public relations work, Mrs. Conkwright completed courses in the field at Goucher and Villa Julie colleges in the mid-1980s. She did public relations work for her husband's import-export company, R.D. Conkwright Inc. in Timonium.
In the late 1960s and early 1970s, she was a volunteer fund-raiser for the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra.
As a member of the Maryland Presbyterian Church in the 1960s and '70s, she produced a newsletter of parish events.
Mrs. Conkwright also found time for politics, canvassing voters during Richard Sullivan's campaign for the U.S. Senate in 1986.
In the 1970s, she volunteered at Sheppard and Enoch Pratt Hospital and served on the board of the Shepherd Pratt Auxiliary, a group that raised money for the hospital through a gift shop and fund-raisers.
She often played tennis at the L'Hirondelle Club of Ruxton, where she was a member.
In 1948, she married Robert Conkwright in Bronxville, N.Y.
The couple moved to Baltimore from Pleasantville, N.Y., in 1963 when Mr. Conkwright was hired by the Glenn L. Martin Co. They settled in Towson and have lived there since.
The former Mary Elizabeth Harper was born in Louisville, Ky., and moved to New York as a teen-ager. She was a 1946 graduate of Bronxville High School.
Services were to be held at 2 p.m. today at the Ruck Towson Funeral Home, 1050 York Road.
In addition to her husband, she is survived by a daughter, Jan Hudson, and a son, Robert Conkwright Jr., both of Towson; and three grandchildren.
The family suggests donations to the Ballet Theater of Annapolis, Maryland Hall for Creative Arts, 801 Chase Ave., Annapolis, 21401.
Patricia A. Conner
Patricia Anne Conner, a Baltimore native and histotechnologist for the department of oral pathology at West Virginia University, died of a liver ailment Friday at Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown, W.Va. She was 57.
A 1954 graduate of the Institute of Notre Dame, the former Patricia Anne Quinby studied agriculture at the University of Maryland. She met her future husband, Edwin Conner, at the university, where he was coaching the judging team. They were married in 1958, the year of her graduation.
The Conners taught farm management to 4H Club members for 19 years in New Jersey, Connecticut and Virginia. In 1977, Mrs. Conner took a job as histotechnologist at West Virginia University. Her husband died in 1991.
She was a member of St. John's Roman Catholic Church in Morgantown where she served as a Eucharistic minister and lector. A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at the church at 10 a.m. today.
She is survived by a son, Sean Conner of Morgantown; a daughter, Eileen Conner Hayes of Morgantown; a sister, Cecelia "Mickey" Quinby Adlehardt of Bountiful, Utah; and a cousin, Margaret Mary Burns French of Mount Airy.
The family suggested memorial contributions to Christian Help
Inc., 219 Walnut St., Morgantown, W.Va. 26505.
Jane W. Knieriem
Jane Wiechman Knieriem, a homemaker and outreach volunteer, died Saturday of breast cancer at her Brooklyn Park home. She was 74.
She was born and reared in Ednor Gardens, a neighborhood near Memorial Stadium, and graduated from Eastern High School in 1936. She was a secretary for Maryland Casualty and other companies from 1936 until the mid-1940s.
As member of St. John Lutheran Church in Baltimore for the past 10 years, she visited shut-ins and elderly people. She also volunteered at her former church, Second English Lutheran Church in Westview.
She was described by a daughter as "a cancer survivor for 20 years" who enjoyed cooking, reading and musical theater. She was married for 49 years to Alfred A. Knieriem, who died of a heart attack in December 1990.
Mrs. Knieriem is survived by two daughters, Carol Lettrich of Baltimore and Elizabeth Rosenthal of Lawrenceville, N.J.; and a son, Alfred A. Knieriem Jr. of Baltimore.
A memorial service will be held at 4:30 p.m. tomorrow at St. John Lutheran Church.
The family suggested donations to the Alfred A. Knieriem Sr. Scholarship Fund in care of St. John Lutheran Church, 226 Washburn Ave, Baltimore 21225.
Printing firm chairman
Louis William Slembecker, chairman of the board and former president of the Oscar T. Smith Co. of Baltimore, died Thursday in Hollywood, Fla., after a long battle with cancer. He was 81.
A native Baltimorean, Mr. Slembecker divided his time in recent years between residences in Hollywood, Fla., and Ruxton.
He spent his entire career at Oscar T. Smith Co., a Baltimore printing firm. He was hired as secretary to the founder, Oscar T. Smith, and stayed with the company for more than 50 years.
He used to own thoroughbred horses, which he raced in Maryland.
"He loved his horses," said his daughter, Lois C. Slembecker.
Mr. Slembecker played semipro baseball in Baltimore in the 1930s.In his later years, he was an avid softball player and bowler.
He traveled throughout the United States and the Caribbean. I celebration of their 25th wedding anniversary, he and his wife, Florence Slembecker, toured the nations of South America.
During World War II, Mr. Slembecker served in the Army. He wa honorably discharged as a captain in 1946.
Mr. Slembecker was a longtime member of the Ensign C. Markland Kelly Memorial Post of the American Legion in Timonium.
In addition to his wife of 51 years, he is survived by two daughters, Elizabeth Jerrett Huston and Lois C. Slembecker, of New York City; a sister, Katherine Pratt of Baltimore; and a grandson, Trevor Louis Huston of New York City.
A funeral will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the Ruck Towso Funeral Home, 1050 York Road.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Hospice Foundation VITAS, 3323 West Commercial Blvd., Suite 200, Fort Lauderdale, Fla. 33309.