1 killed, 6 wounded in 2 multiple shootings in W. Baltimore


Three males standing in a pathway between two apartment buildings on Lennox Street in West Baltimore were shot last night, one fatally, police said.

In an unrelated incident about six hours earlier, police said four men sitting on a front porch in West Baltimore were wounded by a man who walked up to them and fired at least seven shots from a semiautomatic weapon after an apparent drug deal that went bad.

Police had few details in the latest outbreak of violence, which occurred about 7 p.m. in the 800 block of Lennox St., outside the Madison Park Apartment complex.

Lt. George Bewley, a shift commander at the Central District, said a man armed with a five-shot revolver walked up to the victims and fired at least three shots, hitting all three.

One of the victims, described by police as in his early 20s, was hit once in the chest, Lieutenant Bewley said. He was pronounced dead on arrival at Maryland General Hospital.

Another victim who was shot in the ankle ran one block west on Lennox Street before collapsing on the front stoop of a home. A third victim was shot in the shoulder and ran between the apartment buildings to a residence in the 800 block of W. North Ave.

The victim with the shoulder wound was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital. The other was taken to the University of Maryland Medical Center.

The names of the victims were not available last night.

Police said they recovered the gun believed to have been used in the shooting a block away on Reservoir Street under a car.

A few minutes after the shooting, acting on a description provided by witnesses, officers stopped a man wearing a T-shirt saying, "Free Mike Tyson," but let him go after determining he was not a suspect.

Two women who live in apartments near the shooting scene, who would not give their names, said the dead youth was visiting from New York with his cousin. Both said there were many children outside playing when the shots erupted.

"I was sitting in the back eating dinner when I saw all the children running," one woman said. "Then I heard the gunshots. It sounded like a firecracker. That's when I got on the phone and called 911."

The other woman said she rushed from her home when she heard the noise and saw the youth lying on the ground near where many teens hang out. "He was badly wounded," she said.

The other multiple shooting occurred about 1:40 p.m. in the 3000 block of Grayson St., near Walbrook. The victims are:

* Kisame Bright, 20, who lives in the Grayson Street home. He was shot in the buttocks or lower back. He was in serious, stable condition last night at Shock Trauma.

* Ronnie Bright, 38, who also lives in the Grayson Street home. He was shot in the left foot and treated and released from the University of Maryland Medical Center.

* Anthony Simpson, 21, of the 4700 block of Park Heights Ave., was shot once in the neck. He was treated and at Shock Trauma and released.

* Kirk Sydnor, 20, of the 2600 block of Fairmount Ave., was shot in the left arm. He was treated at University of Maryland Medical Center and released.

Sgt. Michael Beccio, of the Southwestern District, said investigators believe the suspect was angry over a drug deal that went bad.

"He walked up to them and just started shooting," Sergeant Beccio said. Detectives found seven spent rounds from a large-caliber weapon near the front porch of the rowhouse, he said.

"We are treating it as possibly drug-related, but Mr. Simpson says he doesn't know of any motivation in the shooting," he said.

Like the shooting on Lennox Street, neighbors who live on Grayson said their neighborhood was filled with playing children.

Chester Hill, 55, who lives next door to where the shooting occurred, is a nurse who works at a Woodlawn nursing home. He said he rushed outside when he heard the commotion and attended to the most seriously wounded man before paramedics arrived.

He and his family just moved in on Thursday. "It seemed like a real quiet neighborhood," he said. "Everybody was real friendly. It's kind of scary. My 3-year-old grandson had just come inside before it happened."

Lieutenant Bewley said the two shootings do not appear to be related but cautioned last night that homicide detectives had just begun their investigation.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad